2800mAh? Is this a joke?

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
In a smartphone world that is seeing more software features being added, more cameras on smartphones, larger and more power hungry displays (90hz and OLED), seeing battery size shrink is never a good thing. Especially for the Pixel 4. A 3000mAh battery is the bare minimum for a display of that size.

It’s one thing having a minimalistic philosophy. But getting basic things like battery size wrong is embarrassing.

Couldn't agree more. This has turned into my biggest concern regarding the P4. What is Google thinking?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
This is a weird/funny/curious thread. Lots of people complaining about the Pixel 4 battery...then in the same breath say they are not interested in the Pixel 4 regardless of battery size.

I am interested in the Pixel 4 XL and hoped it would have a bigger battery. But I am willing to wait and see real life performance before I complain. I had the Pixel 3 XL but traded it in on the Note 10+....i mean they gave me $550 for it!

But for me...i am willing to wait and see how it all plays out on Tuesday and in the coming reviews after the announcement.
You should of NEVER entered here

cknobman

May 15, 2018
Visit site
Never understood the willingness and desire of someone to defend a product no matter what.
Like its a reflection of themselves and if they admit a fault with the product then somehow its admitting a fault in them.

Simple facts are these batteries are considerably smaller than much of the competition.
Its not hard to estimate potential battery life from past models, competitor models, known battery consumption for the processor.

The only thing that is an unknown is how much the 90hz screen will affect the overall battery life. But even then there are already competitors with similar chipsets and screens we can look at: OnePlus 7T.
That device has a just "OK" battery life.

So IMO Google dropped the ball yet again.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Never understood the willingness and desire of someone to defend a product no matter what.
Like its a reflection of themselves and if they admit a fault with the product then somehow its admitting a fault in them.

Simple facts are these batteries are considerably smaller than much of the competition.
Its not hard to estimate potential battery life from past models, competitor models, known battery consumption for the processor.

The only thing that is an unknown is how much the 90hz screen will affect the overall battery life. But even then there are already competitors with similar chipsets and screens we can look at: OnePlus 7T.

You're entitled to your opinion, but just off the top of my head you're missing at least four factors for which the power consumption impact cannot yet be determined: one, how efficiently the non-skinned version of Android will operate in tandem with the 7nm 855; two, how well Google will manage throttling the display refresh for efficiency gains vs 7T; three, the power efficiency of the actual panel being used in the 4 (at least, I haven't heard any leaks saying it's the exact same - or even same series - as that used in the 7T); and 4, the degree to which the Neural Core can add efficiency. With the latter, we can assume it will take on all duties formerly assigned to last year's Visual Core, but it is certainly reasonable to assume ti will additionally be capable of handling a number of other tasks (certainly the enhancements to GA, and potentially far beyond that) with possibly another substantial boost to efficiency.

I'm not ready to 'call it' as to whether the Pixel 4's battery life will be greater or lesser than that of the 3. Wherever it turns out, there will be plenty who find it ample, tons who find it easily manageable, and then some who find it insufficient. My experience with the Pixel 3 XL has been that it has been ample on most days, and woefully insufficient if unsupported by a charger or battery pack on a few - but on those few, there's not a phone on the market that would have lasted without something to refresh it, so it was fine.

However it turns out, though, OEM drops the ball in a number of different ways relative to other OEM's, every year, either in providing a lesser-spec/performance for a feature, or omitting a feature that is available from another OEM(s). The only thing that matters is how you prioritize which balls dropping is acceptable. (pick a model you feel did everything right, and I'll point out at least 3 areas they dropped the ball).

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
You're entitled to your opinion, but just off the top of my head you're missing at least four factors for which the power consumption impact cannot yet be determined: one, how efficiently the non-skinned version of Android will operate in tandem with the 7nm 855; two, how well Google will manage throttling the display refresh for efficiency gains vs 7T; three, the power efficiency of the actual panel being used in the 4 (at least, I haven't heard any leaks saying it's the exact same - or even same series - as that used in the 7T); and 4, the degree to which the Neural Core can add efficiency. With the latter, we can assume it will take on all duties formerly assigned to last year's Visual Core, but it is certainly reasonable to assume ti will additionally be capable of handling a number of other tasks (certainly the enhancements to GA, and potentially far beyond that) with possibly another substantial boost to efficiency.

I’m glad you brought the ‘efficiency’ question up. The 7nm processor, stock Android and neural core are more efficient than previous generations, but it doesn’t look like that will be enough to offset a small(er) battery and high refresh rate display.

It’s not as if the new processor or Android 10 are way more efficient than their predecessors.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I’m glad you brought the ‘efficiency’ question up. The 7nm processor, stock Android and neural core are more efficient than previous generations, but it doesn’t look like that will be enough to offset a small(er) battery and high refresh rate display.

It’s not as if the new processor or Android 10 are way more efficient than their predecessors.
A 40% increase in efficiency of the processor over the predecessor is pretty substantial...

There is enough potential difference there and with how a non-skinned OS will interact, along with the unknowable difference an efficiency for the neural core and the specific OLED panel, to warrant caution in passing judgement. It could absolutely prove to be a battery life disaster when all is said and done, but it could also probably otherwise.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

It's the flip side of the coin from the willingness and desire of someone to bash a product no matter what.

Either is foolish, and doubly so before the product is unveiled in its entirety. But those two stances largely fuel the forums...

The wiser move is to at most speculate, saving declarations of fact when there are facts on which to argue basis.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
The 7nm processor, stock Android and neural core are more efficient than previous generations, but it doesn’t look like that will be enough to offset a small(er) battery and high refresh rate display.
Yeah I don't think it will be enough. I hope the battery doesn't ruin what looks to be a great device.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
In a smartphone world that is seeing more software features being added, more cameras on smartphones, larger and more power hungry displays (90hz and OLED), seeing battery size shrink is never a good thing. Especially for the Pixel 4. A 3000mAh battery is the bare minimum for a display of that size.

It’s one thing having a minimalistic philosophy. But getting basic things like battery size wrong is embarrassing.
Spot on.

There is zero reason for this phone not to have 3000-3200mAh or so.
I mean, they killed the headphone jack long ago so that must have made a TON of space in there, right?

More capacity can only be better (as long as it's well designed, as in not like the Note 7).

And I find it interesting how some people tolerate underwhelming battery life because of Fast charging.

How far we have come, from the BBOS days of phones that lasted 2 days with heavy use, to being satisfied with a phone that needs a top-up during the day to make it till sleep time.

The battery IS the most important "feature" on a mobile device, because it's the one thing that enables all the other features to be used.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Spot on.

I mean, they killed the headphone jack long ago so that must have made a TON of space in there, right?

More capacity can only be better (as long as it's well designed, as in not like the Note 7).

And I find it interesting how some people tolerate underwhelming battery life because of Fast charging.

How far we have come, from the BBOS days of phones that lasted 2 days with heavy use, to being satisfied with a phone that needs a top-up during the day to make it till sleep time.

The battery IS the most important "feature" on a mobile device, because it's the one thing that enables all the other features to be used.

I agree that battery life needs to improve. It would be great to not have to worry about charging your phone for a few days. It’s one of the features that has been stagnant.

But, I haven’t had a phone in a few years that hasn’t made it through the day for me. I can easily charge back and forth from work or during the night if I have to. Therefore it’s not something I currently complain about.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Well you don't have to understand it, but it's really quite simple. People have a right to express their opinion. It doesn't necessarily mean they are defending a product. No more than your opinion should be called attacking a product. What's hard to understand is people hanging on to what should be or could be instead of just finding something they like.

I've owned many devices and they all have had their shortcomings as well as exceptional features. One thing is certain, I've rarely been disappointed in my choices because each and every time I chose what suited me best at the time. The only time I was ever disspointed was in after sale support. Specifically promises made of OS updates. that were later pulled back.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Spot on.

Agreed.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Spot on.

...And I find it interesting how some people tolerate underwhelming battery life because of Fast charging....

And I find it interesting that there is no mainstream phone that will work on Verizon that can last me all day without a top off. Battery size is almost irrelevant for my needs and usage. I'm currently using a Note 10 + which has a decent size battery.

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Dont know if I commented here before. 2900 on P3 wasn't enough for me, phone was dead by evening. Note 10 with 3500 is exactly the minimum I was looking for. Can't imagine 2800 on P4 being enough.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Dont know if I commented here before. 2900 on P3 wasn't enough for me, phone was dead by evening. Note 10 with 3500 is exactly the minimum I was looking for. Can't imagine 2800 on P4 being enough.
You might want to consider the pixel 4xl with bigger battery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma