2800mAh? Is this a joke?

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I love how battery optimisation and large batteries are mutually exclusive for Google.

i mean they go on about optimising this and efficiency that, which suggests they want users to have long lasting battery life, but then they throw in small batteries and slap consumers in the face. I've yet to hear a good reason why they can't throw in a large battery and continue with all these battery optimisation improvements.

The Pixel 3 XL battery was sub-par for me, and from what I gather the regular Pixel 3 battery was pretty bad. Now they're putting an even bigger 5.7" screen, 90hz refresh rate *and* an even smaller battery? lol....

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
I love how battery optimisation and large batteries are mutually exclusive for Google.

i mean they go on about optimising this and efficiency that, which suggests they want users to have long lasting battery life, but then they throw in small batteries and slap consumers in the face. I've yet to hear a good reason why they can't throw in a large battery and continue with all these battery optimisation improvements.

The Pixel 3 XL battery was sub-par for me, and from what I gather the regular Pixel 3 battery was pretty bad. Now they're putting an even bigger 5.7" screen, 90hz refresh rate *and* an even smaller battery? lol....
I just realized the 3 XL sports a 3430mAh battery and has a 6.3" display compared to the 2 XL's 3520mAh battery with a 6.0" display.

It seems like Google is betting on optimizations because they seem to enjoy reducing battery size, when even Apple has started to seriously increase theirs.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
They dont put a larger battery in, because it eats into their profit margin.
Say they sell 10,000 phones.
Multiply the extra cost of a larger battery by 10,000.

That is how much more money they made.
Cutting corners.
Seen it my whole life, and what it cost the consumer in problems in the long end.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Cutting corners.
Seen it my whole life, and what it cost the consumer in problems in the long end.
The best thing we can do is to talk with our wallets.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site

Cutting corners.
And what makes you say a larger battery really costs them all that much? Cheap Chinese companies are throwing in 5000mAh left and right in their sub $300 phones.

Having made this idiotic decision will probably cost them much more sales losses than the difference between a 2800mAh and a 3100mAh battery.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
And what makes you say a larger battery really costs them all that much? Cheap Chinese companies are throwing in 5000mAh left and right in their sub $300 phones.

Having made this idiotic decision will probably cost them much more sales losses than the difference between a 2800mAh and a 3100mAh battery.
Based on volume purchases, larger batteries probably don't add much to the cost. They probably just made a design decision to keep it thinner. I am just guessing at both.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I really wanted to see Google hit it out of park and convince me to upgrade my old Pixel 2.

I got hopeful when I saw the $799 base price, but then my hopes were dashed by 2800 mah battery and 64 gb storage. These are just Apple like design decisions and very disappointing. I'd like to be wrong, but I can't see the phone making it all day with this size battery.

Me too. I was sold on the P2XL just because of the photo quality. Then I was excited to get the P3XL. Not so much with the 4.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
Me too. I was sold on the P2XL just because of the photo quality. Then I was excited to get the P3XL. Not so much with the 4.
I'm still excited about the 3 XL as soon as I saw that it was possible to get rid of the notch via the developer options.
This gives it a nice symmetrical look between the bottom and top bezels.

The 4/XL's, however, look awkward with the chunky top bezel and zero bottom bezels. Also, the bottom speaker is not front facing anymore which is yet another step back.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I'm still excited about the 3 XL as soon as I saw that it was possible to get rid of the notch via the developer options.
This gives it a nice symmetrical look between the bottom and top bezels.

The 4/XL's, however, look awkward with the chunky top bezel and zero bottom bezels. Also, the bottom speaker is not front facing anymore which is yet another step back.

If I'm not mistaken it will also be getting some of the software features as the Pixel 4.

barondebxl

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I don’t think google understands what the consumers want. Let’s take a look at the competition:

When you look at the iPhone 11, Apple has added an extra gig of ram, increased the battery a bit, added an extra camera (ultra wide), improved the speakers, ip68 from ip67 on the XR AND reduced the price by $50 from the $749 XR so basically for $699.

You look at the Oneplus 7T, Oneplus has increased the battery capacity, added an ultra wide angle camera, added a 90hz refresh rate, increased the charging speed, made the display the brightest out of all oneplus devices to date, added a macro mode, base storage starts at 128GB with 8 gigs of ram all for $599 compare to the one plus 6T. A small price increased but totally justified considering what you get.

You look at the pixel4, google has added a 90hz refresh rate, space motion, a telephoto camera, face unlock and that neat voice recording thing. However, they have reduced the battery size to an absurd 2800mah battery, removed the headphones, restricted portrait mode to the telephoto camera, no more unlimited photo storage for free, 128 gig max storage, the pixel earbuds are not available till 2020 etc.... oh and the phone costs $799, $100 more than the iPhone 11 and $200 more than the oneplus 7T.

I mean this is just insulting. Android users are smart buyers for the most part, we are used to a good bang for our buck, this pixel 4 totally goes against that. It offers little for the price tag. I mean even Apple has come down to earth a little and added more features to their new base iphone while reducing the price, something they haven’t done in years. Oneplus heard complaints about the 7 pro that costs $669 ($130 cheaper than the pixel 4 with a 2800mah battery) and decided to give us the 7T for $599 while adding a faster charger and a couple of features. Yes the screen isnt QHD but it’s the brightest and plenty sharp. You want 128 gig of storage on the iPhone it’ll only costs you $50 extra. 128 is the base on the 7T. On the pixel 4? It’s a $100 extra so that phone would cost you $900.... let that sink in

Yes this is a rant but I just can’t believe google. At this point they should just go back to the nexus program and let other manufacturers build the hardware while they take care of the software side of things in my opinion because this ain’t it. They can do all the camera software on the nexus devices cause that’s one thing they’re good at, but in terms of hardware they suck major ***.

barondebxl

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I mean, is this really any different for a Pixel?

OG Pixel - 2770 mAh
Pixel two - 2700 mAh
Pixel three - 2915 mAh
Pixel four - 2800 mAh

Looks like Google is staying within a traditional range. All generations got me through my day, but the Pixel 2 on Oreo was the best.

It’s 2019, the game has changed