They Look Better in Person and they Feel Great.

ezdoit

Sep 20, 2019
Visit site
I'm going to check the local BB tomorrow and see what they have on display, if any thing. I'm not sure I ever held a cellphone that I could use without a case. They all seem pretty slippery to me.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to check the local BB tomorrow and see what they have on display, if any thing. I'm not sure I ever held a cellphone that I could use without a case. They all seem pretty slippery to me.
The last time I used any phone without a case was 8 years ago when I used a BlackBerry.

ezdoit

Sep 20, 2019
Visit site
The last time I used any phone without a case was 8 years ago when I used a BlackBerry.

We are in a "forum over function" era. The other day I had a Pixel 3, a Pixel 3 XL, and a iPhone XR lying on my desk naked. The phones were naked, not me. I never realized how thin the phones are today and recalled a comment made on the forum about making the phones a little thicker to increase battery size. What a thought.

Thicken the phones and make them grippable so you wouldn't need a case. I'm sure the technology is there if the fashion police weren't in the way.

KrisYYC

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Not trolling, not at all, but this Apple driven narrative made by Apple was the absolute dumbest trash in the smartphone space.

Grippy? yes. Confident grip? yes. Easy to hold? yes. "Premium" feel? "Feels good in hand"???? How utterly ridiculous.

That's what I'm saying. The Pixel 4 doesn't feel like a fragile piece of glass that's pure form over function. The matte finish and thicker edge makes it grip like a phone from years ago which is a good thing and a nice change from the other flagships out right now. Now whether it's as robust as phones from the past (not a chance being glass) is another story.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
We are in a "forum over function" era. The other day I had a Pixel 3, a Pixel 3 XL, and a iPhone XR lying on my desk naked. The phones were naked, not me. I never realized how thin the phones are today and recalled a comment made on the forum about making the phones a little thicker to increase battery size. What a thought.

Thicken the phones and make them grippable so you wouldn't need a case. I'm sure the technology is there if the fashion police weren't in the way.
I think it's also due to the materials used in the phones. My Moto X Pure Edition certainly wasn't thin, but the blue plastic material on the back was slippery and not at all easy to grip. On the other hand, my OG Moto X had a rubbery back that was very easy to grip.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
I think it's also due to the materials used in the phones. My Moto X Pure Edition certainly wasn't thin, but the blue plastic material on the back was slippery and not at all easy to grip. On the other hand, my OG Moto X had a rubbery back that was very easy to grip.
I can't remember the last phone that even had a rubbery back, aside from the DroidBerry's and Samsung's Active series (which got discontinued after the S8A)

thunderup

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't get the insistence of these manufacturers to use glass backs for a "premium" feel. Who cares? 95% of people just slap a cheap case from Amazon on their "premium" device anyway because glass breaks so easily. I had the original Moto X with the soft touch plastic...felt awesome. I had the 2nd gen with the leather back...felt awesome. I had the Pure with the rubbery back...felt ok too. I had the Droid Razr line of phones with the ballistic nylon or Kevlar or whatever it was...that was cool, too. Moto X phones also offered wood backs. I used all those phones without a case and had no problems. Why can't Google go with one of those options? Hell, use the fabric material from their cases on the back. Using one of those other materials would still allow for wireless charging, would make the phone far less fragile, and would help to differentiate themselves amongst a sea of other glass slabs.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
I don't get the insistence of these manufacturers to use glass backs for a "premium" feel. Who cares? 95% of people just slap a cheap case from Amazon on their "premium" device anyway because glass breaks so easily. I had the original Moto X with the soft touch plastic...felt awesome. I had the 2nd gen with the leather back...felt awesome. I had the Pure with the rubbery back...felt ok too. I had the Droid Razr line of phones with the ballistic nylon or Kevlar or whatever it was...that was cool, too. Moto X phones also offered wood backs. I used all those phones without a case and had no problems. Why can't Google go with one of those options? Hell, use the fabric material from their cases on the back. Using one of those other materials would still allow for wireless charging, would make the phone far less fragile, and would help to differentiate themselves amongst a sea of other glass slabs.
Spot on. Glass backs are idiotic.

ezdoit

Sep 20, 2019
Visit site
Yeah same. The guy working the Google Pavilion at my BB said it's really nice in person.

After seeing the white phone, enthusiasm for the orange phone increased by 25.7%.
If something happens to orange order, white will be a suitable substitute for me.

KrisYYC

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
After seeing the white phone, enthusiasm for the orange phone increased by 25.7%.
If something happens to orange order, white will be a suitable substitute for me.

For me my enthusiasm for the orange increased by about 24.3% and the white by about 21.6%

Enthusiasm for the black decreased by at least 28.4% after seeing how much of a fingerprint magnet it is.

If for whatever reason I don't like the orange I may return it immediately and get a white one.

ezdoit

Sep 20, 2019
Visit site
Not one pic??

Seems my mission from God has been mis-understood. My mission was to find an orange phone, not a black phone, not a white phone, an orange phone.

There were no orange phones to be found. I failed in my mission.

I would be glad to go back and get a pic of the white phone, or the black phone to make you happy young lady, but I am not allowed back in the store.

A young male sales clerk approached me as I was viewing the Pixel phones and asked "Wouldn't a more mature gentleman, such as your self, be more comfortable with a iPhone?

My court case is next Wednesday, same day my more mature gentleman Pixel is due to arrive.

almath

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Seems my mission from God has been mis-understood. My mission was to find an orange phone, not a black phone, not a white phone, an orange phone.

There were no orange phones to be found. I failed in my mission.

I would be glad to go back and get a pic of the white phone, or the black phone to make you happy young lady, but I am not allowed back in the store.

A young male sales clerk approached me as I was viewing the Pixel phones and asked "Wouldn't a more mature gentleman, such as your self, be more comfortable with a iPhone?

My court case is next Wednesday, same day my more mature gentleman Pixel is due to arrive.
Find the sake of all that's Pixel holy, you could've aborted your mission for one minute..

4ab97a1594908efb79c4ed3eeca58ad3.gif

KrisYYC

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
For some strange reason, Chrome will simply not allow me to view page 2 of this thread. Just keeps sending me back to page 1. Here I am using Edge just to read my own thread. Weirdly only happening with this thread too.

SARCtech

Sep 15, 2019
Visit site
I just got back from BB. They had the black one and I like the device. No fingerprint sensor concerns me but I think I will get used to it. The display on it looked really nice. I'm keeping my pre order and looking forward to the 24th.

nelamvr6

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I am so glad they don't have curved screens, I have been so sick of not being able to get a good fit with a screen protector. Curved screens are so not worth the trouble IMHO.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I just got back from BB. They had the black one and I like the device. No fingerprint sensor concerns me but I think I will get used to it. The display on it looked really nice. I'm keeping my pre order and looking forward to the 24th.

It concerns me too but I agree that in time it would be something one could get used to. Are you going to get the smaller Pixel 4 or the XL?