Qualitative difference between "original" and "high" resolution backup

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
So as we've seen, the Pixel 4 and 4XL will no longer offer full resolution unaltered backup of photos and videos taken as was offered with previous pixel flag ships.

That stated, "high resolution" as defined by Google should not reduce the resolution of any photos taken by the Pixel 4 or Pixel 4 XL as they will not modify resolution unless it exceeds 16 megapixels - which is the cap for the Pixels' cameras. They do however fall subject to compression.

Having been a Pixel user since the first generation, all of my media has been backed up and it's original form. Has anybody had experience with the full resolution backup, to be able to compare it with an original photo as taken by their phone to see the difference that it makes, whether the compression is substantial or not? It would be great to see some sample image sets hosted, with an original quality and one as taken from Google's free backup, post-compression.

Of course, for video, with "high quality" free backup being limited to full HD, obviously 4K video is no longer something we can remain free if concern for managing, and would have to pay for storage online or manually backup with the new models - a definite quality-of-life sacrifice with the 4 and 4XL, and important to consider when looking at storage size provided with the unit.

imma_rage_quit

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Re: Qualitative difference between "original" and "high" resolution backup

I'm not really into photo editing so a lot of three compression stuff doesn't matter to me as much but I can post one that was taken with my DSLR in original quality and the same picture after it was backed up with high quality in Google photos (I backup my NAS to Google photos just in case). Give be a few to dig them out...

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

I'm not really into photo editing so a lot of three compression stuff doesn't matter to me as much but I can post one that was taken with my DSLR in original quality and the same picture after it was backed up with high quality in Google photos (I backup my NAS to Google photos just in case). Give be a few to dig them out...

So long as the original wasn't in excess of 16MP that would be great. The site here would compress the image though, I think - not sure if you can post them both at full resolution on a hosting site and link?

imma_rage_quit

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Here are the links to the files. If any of the photo guru's want to dissect them please feel free because I'm not good enough to know the finer details. The Backup approximately 117KB and the original file is approximately 2.4MB. Not the greatest picture but it is just something for reference...

Hope this helps...

Original file shot with my Nikon DSLR...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=11zQ5h_NApDZ8P4ya7e4l1UrmgbR5aV-R

Google Photos "High Quality" backup off of my NAS

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IoYcS4NSXFP4dEiVKEjTTcnkzWik_Tme

Attachments

• DSC_0014 Backup.jpg
    DSC_0014 Backup.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC_0014 original.jpg
    DSC_0014 original.jpg
    350.2 KB · Views: 14

imma_rage_quit

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site

So long as the original wasn't in excess of 16MP that would be great. The site here would compress the image though, I think - not sure if you can post them both at full resolution on a hosting site and link?

Yep. I hosted them on my Google Drive and created a sharable link. If you click the link it will take you too the original file...

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
You can't see the difference looking at them but the size is definitely more compressed. Up to 70 and 80% compressed in some cases. I'm using note 10+ now, had pixel 3 xl before.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
You can't see the difference looking at them but the size is definitely more compressed. Up to 70 and 80% compressed in some cases. I'm using note 10+ now, had pixel 3 xl before.

Not sure if they treat the backup differently. They specifically cite they don't diminish resolution below 16MP. Something had to be off...
ce39854b3fa0e55ec76c4fab9d4987cc.jpg

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
If I'm reading it correctly, all photos uploaded to Google Photos are in "original quality" up to your free 15 gigabyte storage limit. Video restricted to 1080p though, except for Pixels.

However, upgrading to an "original quality" plan is only $1.99 per month. Or $19.99 per year if paid in advance. And you get 100 gigabytes.

Was super nice to have included of course, but its super cheap, and you can add other devices or family members for free. I thought it was more expensive.

googelphotos.jpg

googelphotosgggggggg.jpg

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Not sure if they treat the backup differently. They specifically cite they don't diminish resolution below 16MP. Something had to be off...
Read the 2nd bullet. It says photos WILL be compressed to save space. Compressing is different than resizing. They compress them and by ALOT.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I use original and just pay. So far I w/ Drive,photos,email etc. I am at 49 GB of my 102 GB. The day I need to upgrade I will jump to 200 GB then 2 TB. It will take me a long time. I take photos but not like 500 a day so even at me uploading at original (on all my phones) I am still not there. Maybe if I take more 4K it will help to eat it up.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

No you are reading that wrong. They are saying if it isn't over 16 MP they leave it be. If it is over 16 MP they push it to 16 MP. This is only re-sizing -- the compression part for the actual file will always happen. It is one way for them to offer free storage to all by compressing it down a lot.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

No you are reading that wrong. They are saying if it isn't over 16 MP they leave it be. If it is over 16 MP they push it to 16 MP. This is only re-sizing -- the compression part for the actual file will always happen. It is one way for them to offer free storage to all by compressing it down a lot.
Sorry - I interpreted it properly, just failed to express it well. I meant to say, don't diminish TO below 16MP.

But even just the compression is disheartening.

The above posted samples heavily reduced actual resolution to below 1 MP, so aren't good for being a conclusion.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I just mainly look at it like -- free comes with a cost. May not be money but it will be something. If you truly care swap to original and go. That is what I did years ago and so far so good. Pricing for cloud storage has come down to very reasonable prices IMO.