Seems like more folks are "meh" for Pixel 4 than excited?

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I've had pixel 3 XL and loved the camera (amazing). But since the phone been announced, I've been gaging what other things and excitement around the phone and it feels that many are either not upgrading to pixel 4 now or just not interested.

I am in the camp of, meh, not really rushing to get it.

How about you?

ezdoit

Sep 20, 2019
Visit site
I've had all the previous Pixel versions and currently have a P4 on order - 64 GB Orange. That being said, I agree with the lack of enthusiasm for the P4 comment. Not only a lack of enthusiasm, but a lot of negativity towards the battery size, price, Google's not-so-hot trade in allowance, and non-availability of certain models. Much more negativity than I recall last year.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I really think we'll have to wait and see people's opinions once they actually have the devices. Many of the naysayers won't even buy these devices, and we won't know how actual owners like them until they've used them.

ezdoit

Sep 20, 2019
Visit site
I really think we'll have to wait and see people's opinions once they actually have the devices. Many of the naysayers won't even buy these devices, and we won't know how actual owners like them until they've used them.

I agree with your statement, but still think the negative atmosphere at this stage of the game is more than any previous year.

Since you are a Moderator Captain, how about you pull up the pre-order threads for the P2 and P3 phones and count the number of participants in each, as well as the number of negative posts. Have the report on my desk tomorrow, Sunday at the latest.

Lobwedgephil

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I think this is a combination of things, but I think a lot of it is the constant leaks before hand. I understand why google does it. Trying to keep people talking about them while the new Note and iPhone get announced, but I think it is going to be the wrong strategy in the long run. Since the Pixel 2 they had a camera that could blow away the competition, but now the competition has caught up. Compare a Note 10+, iPhone Pro, or Pixel 4 pictures and they become a matter of preference, now they are all very good. Without having a dominating camera, the lack of features compared to other phones starts to add up. My biggest concern is poor battery life, my Pixel 3 XL battery life was always average, I hope this one isn't worse. I just don't think they have the far and away better camera anymore, which will hurt.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I agree with your statement, but still think the negative atmosphere at this stage of the game is more than any previous year.

Since you are a Moderator Captain, how about you pull up the pre-order threads for the P2 and P3 phones and count the number of participants in each, as well as the number of negative posts. Have the report on my desk tomorrow, Sunday at the latest.
There is also another explanation. Smartphones have become commodities in many parts of the world. New devices have incremental upgrades that do not inspire the average consumer to bother upgrading if his/her current device performs "good enough". That consumer will only upgrade if the device that s(he) has no longer functions for the tasks needed or has a catastrophic hardware failure.

Many people who are members of this community are different, since they are enthusiasts who need to have the latest and greatest devices, but even some of us are content with older devices as long as those devices work. I recently upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy S10+, but that was only because my LG V20 had a failed microphone, so I couldn't use it as a phone unless I used a Bluetooth device with a microphone.

KrisYYC

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Fits in with what we are saying here - no "WOW" factor.

True but the Pixel line never really was about the "WOW" factor. It's more about user experience (software) with Google integration and a great camera.

I'm a phone enthusiast and I've tried damn near every Android flagship of the last few years (LG, Huawei, Note 8, S10 etc) yet out of all Android phones the Pixels are by far my favourite to actually use and I kept going back to them. I like that they have an understated more practical design and that they still make a flagship that isn't the size of a small tablet. I've actually gotten to the point now where the ONLY Android phones I'll use are Pixels.

BrwnSuga3

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm excited about the Pixel 4 XL :) I have had every other Pixel phone and I can't wait to see what this one has to offer.

ezdoit

Sep 20, 2019
Visit site
True but the Pixel line never really was about the "WOW" factor. It's more about user experience (software) with Google integration and a great camera.

I'm a phone enthusiast and I've tried damn near every Android flagship of the last few years (LG, Huawei, Note 8, S10 etc) yet out of all Android phones the Pixels are by far my favourite to actually use and I kept going back to them. I like that they have an understated more practical design and that they still make a flagship that isn't the size of a small tablet. I've actually gotten to the point now where the ONLY Android phones I'll use are Pixels.

I agree with you, I use Pixels too. I didn't mean to infer the "WOW" factor was a good thing, give me function over form any day.

Good post.

ezdoit

Sep 20, 2019
Visit site
I'm excited about the Pixel 4 XL :) I have had every other Pixel phone and I can't wait to see what this one has to offer.

I'm anxious to get mine too. What's not to like about an orange phone, especially since there seems to be only 1 word that rhymes with orange -- "sporange,” an uncommon botanical term for a part of a fern.

Smply_Rckless

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Was gonna upgrade this year, need a new android & have had my eyes on getting a pixel. I’ll wait for reviews before making my final judgement. If anything I’ll grab a pixel 3a XL if anything

j_squared

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Definite "Meh" for me. I played with them for a bit at Best Buy today and I was not impressed. For me the only standout feature is the 90hz screen, but I feel that the One Plus 7T or 7 Pro are better values. This will be the first Google Phone I will be skipping, and I've had them all since the N4 (Except for the N5X).

AbAll87

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm a bit disappointed with what was announced but I have been since the leaks.

however I was still using an OG pixel so I upgraded this year to the pixel 4 XL.

battery, storage and price were the disappointments for me... I'm okay with everything else

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
It's definitely a meh for me .
It doesn't offer anything over the p3 or my s10e .
After I seen the battery size it kinda killed it for me . I mean it's kinda ridiculous to go backwards on things like battery size .
I don't care how much better or more efficient the processor is. A bigger battery is still better than a smaller battery.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site

Yep. And if not negative, a lot of folks are sticking with pixel 3 because they just don't see why they need to upgrade. The trade in deal (or lack of a deal I should say), is turning a lot of people off. I mean $260 for a pristine pixel 3 XL? Seriously? And they take away free unlimited original pic quality storage and they leave base at 64gb for the same high price? Dang, who is running the mobile department over there? I guess they will be selling less pixel 4s than they did pixel 3s. Such a shame.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2