10-22-2019 05:24 PM
145 123 ...
tools
    I've had pixel 3 XL and loved the camera (amazing). But since the phone been announced, I've been gaging what other things and excitement around the phone and it feels that many are either not upgrading to pixel 4 now or just not interested.

I am in the camp of, meh, not really rushing to get it.

How about you?
    EMGSM and barondebxl like this.
    10-18-2019 12:04 AM
    I've had all the previous Pixel versions and currently have a P4 on order - 64 GB Orange. That being said, I agree with the lack of enthusiasm for the P4 comment. Not only a lack of enthusiasm, but a lot of negativity towards the battery size, price, Google's not-so-hot trade in allowance, and non-availability of certain models. Much more negativity than I recall last year.
    Golurk likes this.
    10-18-2019 12:15 AM
    I really think we'll have to wait and see people's opinions once they actually have the devices. Many of the naysayers won't even buy these devices, and we won't know how actual owners like them until they've used them.
    eshropshire and mustang7757 like this.
    10-18-2019 12:26 AM
    I really think we'll have to wait and see people's opinions once they actually have the devices. Many of the naysayers won't even buy these devices, and we won't know how actual owners like them until they've used them.
    I agree with your statement, but still think the negative atmosphere at this stage of the game is more than any previous year.

Since you are a Moderator Captain, how about you pull up the pre-order threads for the P2 and P3 phones and count the number of participants in each, as well as the number of negative posts. Have the report on my desk tomorrow, Sunday at the latest.
    Laura Knotek and tekjunkie28 like this.
    10-18-2019 12:33 AM
    I think this is a combination of things, but I think a lot of it is the constant leaks before hand. I understand why google does it. Trying to keep people talking about them while the new Note and iPhone get announced, but I think it is going to be the wrong strategy in the long run. Since the Pixel 2 they had a camera that could blow away the competition, but now the competition has caught up. Compare a Note 10+, iPhone Pro, or Pixel 4 pictures and they become a matter of preference, now they are all very good. Without having a dominating camera, the lack of features compared to other phones starts to add up. My biggest concern is poor battery life, my Pixel 3 XL battery life was always average, I hope this one isn't worse. I just don't think they have the far and away better camera anymore, which will hurt.
    ezdoit, Laura Knotek and RaRa85 like this.
    10-18-2019 12:38 AM
    I was a bit on the "meh" side until I was able to check out a demo unit in person at Best Buy.
    ezdoit and Laura Knotek like this.
    10-18-2019 12:42 AM
    A guy at CNET is abandoning the Pixel 4.

10-18-2019 12:51 AM
    I agree with your statement, but still think the negative atmosphere at this stage of the game is more than any previous year.

Since you are a Moderator Captain, how about you pull up the pre-order threads for the P2 and P3 phones and count the number of participants in each, as well as the number of negative posts. Have the report on my desk tomorrow, Sunday at the latest.
    There is also another explanation. Smartphones have become commodities in many parts of the world. New devices have incremental upgrades that do not inspire the average consumer to bother upgrading if his/her current device performs "good enough". That consumer will only upgrade if the device that s(he) has no longer functions for the tasks needed or has a catastrophic hardware failure.

Many people who are members of this community are different, since they are enthusiasts who need to have the latest and greatest devices, but even some of us are content with older devices as long as those devices work. I recently upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy S10+, but that was only because my LG V20 had a failed microphone, so I couldn't use it as a phone unless I used a Bluetooth device with a microphone.
    ezdoit and mustang7757 like this.
    10-18-2019 12:57 AM
    A guy at CNET is abandoning the Pixel 4.
    Fits in with what we are saying here - no "WOW" factor.
    Laura Knotek and tekjunkie28 like this.
    10-18-2019 12:59 AM
    Fits in with what we are saying here - no "WOW" factor.
    True but the Pixel line never really was about the "WOW" factor. It's more about user experience (software) with Google integration and a great camera.

I'm a phone enthusiast and I've tried damn near every Android flagship of the last few years (LG, Huawei, Note 8, S10 etc) yet out of all Android phones the Pixels are by far my favourite to actually use and I kept going back to them. I like that they have an understated more practical design and that they still make a flagship that isn't the size of a small tablet. I've actually gotten to the point now where the ONLY Android phones I'll use are Pixels.
    10-18-2019 01:11 AM
    I'm excited about the Pixel 4 XL I have had every other Pixel phone and I can't wait to see what this one has to offer.
    10-18-2019 01:14 AM
    True but the Pixel line never really was about the "WOW" factor. It's more about user experience (software) with Google integration and a great camera.

I'm a phone enthusiast and I've tried damn near every Android flagship of the last few years (LG, Huawei, Note 8, S10 etc) yet out of all Android phones the Pixels are by far my favourite to actually use and I kept going back to them. I like that they have an understated more practical design and that they still make a flagship that isn't the size of a small tablet. I've actually gotten to the point now where the ONLY Android phones I'll use are Pixels.
    I agree with you, I use Pixels too. I didn't mean to infer the "WOW" factor was a good thing, give me function over form any day.

Good post.
    KrisYYC and Laura Knotek like this.
    10-18-2019 01:16 AM
    I'm excited about the Pixel 4 XL I have had every other Pixel phone and I can't wait to see what this one has to offer.
    I'm anxious to get mine too. What's not to like about an orange phone, especially since there seems to be only 1 word that rhymes with orange -- "sporange,” an uncommon botanical term for a part of a fern.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-18-2019 01:20 AM
    I’m never meh about a new phone

Excited and can’t wait to get my 4 XL !!
    KrisYYC, jamezr, qnet and 1 others like this.
    10-18-2019 01:41 AM
    Was gonna upgrade this year, need a new android & have had my eyes on getting a pixel. I’ll wait for reviews before making my final judgement. If anything I’ll grab a pixel 3a XL if anything
    10-18-2019 01:46 AM
    Definite "Meh" for me. I played with them for a bit at Best Buy today and I was not impressed. For me the only standout feature is the 90hz screen, but I feel that the One Plus 7T or 7 Pro are better values. This will be the first Google Phone I will be skipping, and I've had them all since the N4 (Except for the N5X).
    10-18-2019 02:30 AM
    10-18-2019 05:42 AM
    I'm a bit disappointed with what was announced but I have been since the leaks.

however I was still using an OG pixel so I upgraded this year to the pixel 4 XL.

battery, storage and price were the disappointments for me... I'm okay with everything else
    10-18-2019 07:32 AM
    It's definitely a meh for me .
    It doesn't offer anything over the p3 or my s10e .
    After I seen the battery size it kinda killed it for me . I mean it's kinda ridiculous to go backwards on things like battery size .
    I don't care how much better or more efficient the processor is. A bigger battery is still better than a smaller battery.
    10-18-2019 09:15 AM
    Yep. And if not negative, a lot of folks are sticking with pixel 3 because they just don't see why they need to upgrade. The trade in deal (or lack of a deal I should say), is turning a lot of people off. I mean $260 for a pristine pixel 3 XL? Seriously? And they take away free unlimited original pic quality storage and they leave base at 64gb for the same high price? Dang, who is running the mobile department over there? I guess they will be selling less pixel 4s than they did pixel 3s. Such a shame.
    Law2138 and TgeekB like this.
    10-18-2019 09:52 AM
    Yep. And if not negative, a lot of folks are sticking with pixel 3 because they just don't see why they need to upgrade. The trade in deal (or lack of a deal I should say), is turning a lot of people off. I mean $260 for a pristine pixel 3 XL? Seriously? And they take away free unlimited original pic quality storage and they leave base at 64gb for the same high price? Dang, who is running the mobile department over there? I guess they will be selling less pixel 4s than they did pixel 3s. Such a shame.
    If they sell less, that would be pretty bad... Especially that they didn't have carriers selling their phones. That could means the end of pixels.

Let's hope it doesn't come to that.
    10-18-2019 10:53 AM
    Same. I can't wait to get my orange XL next week. The 3 XL, for me, has been mediocre at best and I'm very excited to move on to the 4 XL.
    10-18-2019 11:03 AM
    Definitely not the best launch of a new pixel/google device. Let’s see the on hand reviews before we make final decision.
    10-18-2019 11:18 AM
    The Pixel 4 is meh because Google refuses to get serious about hardware.

There's nothing wrong with flexing your software strength, but hardware matters. It translates to better results in places where software simply cannot go. Google wants to pretend that software can carry it all the way. I don't understand why it can't be both. Putting in good hardware doesn't take anything away from your software prowess. It's really not rocket science.

If the battery life reviews continue to be disappointing, I will be canceling my pre-order. Google doesn't deserve to get away with a meh-smartphone at full price, especially when they're treating their customers poorly to begin with (the trade-in values for Pixel 3 models is a slap in the face).
    10-18-2019 11:23 AM
    I'm absolutely "meh" about it. I had thought I was going to upgrade immediately but I don't think I am anymore. Rather underwhelmed by this. Probably just stick w/ the 3XL until next release or maybe go back to Sammy. Not sure. Maybe it was just the presentation that was absolutely boring and not interesting. Once it gets into the real world, I may change my mind.
    10-18-2019 11:31 AM
145 123 ...