10-22-2019 03:44 AM
67 123
tools
    Just read this tidbit - In its current form, face unlock works when your eyes are closed. So, someone can just hold it up to your face.

This is unfortunate. I don't have any immediate concern that someone in my family will stick my phone in front of my face in the middle of the night, it's a matter of good security practice and this is a big hole.

The article says there is evidence that Google is working on requiring your eyes to be open.

Read it here:
    https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/17/...cy-eye-contact

Just... ugh.
    AnnDroid likes this.
    10-18-2019 12:53 AM
    I seriously don't see why it would be a problem except for the law enforcement issue mentioned in the link.
    10-18-2019 06:05 AM
    Could the lack of attention awareness have a bearing on whether some apps will adopt it? e.g. banking apps
    10-18-2019 06:09 AM
    I'm seriously considering cancelling my 4XL order scheduled for delivery the middle of next week.

I'm not happy about the elimination of the fingerprint sensor and even less happy the more I read about face unlock. Sure, I can simply turn it off, but then I am back to constantly keying in my 6 digit pin (required by my company's Exchange ActiveSync security policy).
    SARCtech and AnnDroid like this.
    10-18-2019 08:52 AM
    I'm seriously considering cancelling my 4XL order scheduled for delivery the middle of next week.
    I am right there with you. I got up this morning and started thinking about canceling my order. On the fence right now.

I didn't even think about the banking apps issue that neil74 brought up.
    10-18-2019 12:04 PM
    The phone sounds great. I suggest you don't fall asleep and leave your phone out when you're with people you don't trust.
    jamezr, milehigherik and BrwnSuga3 like this.
    10-18-2019 12:14 PM
    The phone sounds great. I suggest you don't fall asleep and leave your phone out when you're with people you don't trust.
    I was leaning toward that position but now there's the issue with apps using it. Are they going to support it with this weakness? Am I back to entering a PIN for everything?
    10-18-2019 12:27 PM
    Jeez. Ok, this is going to be a big mess, probably for weeks. I wonder if LastPass will follow through now that the eyes shut flaw has been revealed.

https://9to5google.com/2019/10/17/pi...s-face-unlock/
    AnnDroid likes this.
    10-18-2019 12:32 PM
    I guess I'm not just paranoid. I love FaceID/Unlock, I just want the fastest and most convenient even if my eyes are close. LOL
    10-18-2019 02:07 PM
    I am right there with you. I got up this morning and started thinking about canceling my order. On the fence right now.

I didn't even think about the banking apps issue that neil74 brought up.
    I cancelled. I'll maybe revisit in a month or two, but for now I'm just pissed about the lack of a fingerprint sensor.
    SARCtech and AnnDroid like this.
    10-18-2019 02:53 PM
    I saw some reviews that it unlocks at times you don't want it to unlock. Like glancing at it to check time, see a message on the lock screen, etc.
    Which then forces you to lock it manually again.
    10-18-2019 03:50 PM
    I saw some reviews that it unlocks at times you don't want it to unlock. Like glancing at it to check time, see a message on the lock screen, etc.
    IMO, it's an incredibly stupid move on Google's part.

The rear fingerprint sensor on previous Pixels was perfectly located, fast, reliable, and secure.
    SARCtech likes this.
    10-18-2019 04:03 PM
    I cancelled. I'll maybe revisit in a month or two, but for now I'm just pissed about the lack of a fingerprint sensor.
    I just got charged and the arrival date is now Monday (was Wednesday). So... Cancelling is now not an option.

I guess returning still is.
    10-18-2019 05:14 PM
    I’m waiting until maybe mid next month after reviews and and fixes come out. Disappointed.
    10-18-2019 06:06 PM
    I'm not worried as much about the face unlock. I'm more concerned about the lack of fingerprint sensor like others in this thread. IIRC the BB restocking fee is only $35...so worst case I'll just return it.
    10-18-2019 06:38 PM
    I'm not worried about face unlock but I will miss the fingerprint sensor. I hope my banking app will work without going back to entering a password
    10-19-2019 03:30 AM
    LoL, Im not going to cancel my order because of this.It will get fixed.I am also not worried about any FPS
    10-19-2019 07:23 AM
    Since all the information you mentioned is still readily available while unlocked, I don't see what the problem is. It's nicer for me since I have all information hidden from my lock screen anyhow.
    10-19-2019 08:04 AM
    In one of the earlier leak videos there was an option to require attention to unlock. I’m guessing it was causing some issues and they had to remove the option at release. I’m pretty sure it’ll be included as an option in a future update. Personally I’m not worried about this but agree it’ll be better if they add this option back.
    10-19-2019 12:08 PM
    What I find funny is that google said there was nothing wrong with it being able to unlock with eyes closed. As far as they are concerned it's not a bug- comical.
    10-19-2019 12:13 PM
    Just read this tidbit - In its current form, face unlock works when your eyes are closed. So, someone can just hold it up to your face.

This is unfortunate. I don't have any immediate concern that someone in my family will stick my phone in front of my face in the middle of the night, it's a matter of good security practice and this is a big hole.

The article says there is evidence that Google is working on requiring your eyes to be open.

Read it here:
    https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/17/...cy-eye-contact

Just... ugh.
    How is that any different than someone grabbing your finger and unlocking your phone at night? Some things people come up with...
    bhatech and hub1 like this.
    10-19-2019 12:47 PM
    Fingerprint unlocks with your eyes closed, when you are asleep, passed out, knocked out or dead.
    DreamSTi likes this.
    10-19-2019 12:59 PM
    How is that any different than someone grabbing your finger and unlocking your phone at night? Some things people come up with...
    I sometimes think these are things that come up because blogs need content. I do think the eyes closed thing isn't optimal, but it's a minor issue. Also, I'm sure they'll change it to working only when your eyes are open.

If people are so concerned about their phone being unlocked while sleeping, perhaps Google can make it not unlock when there's drool.
    ezdoit likes this.
    10-19-2019 12:59 PM
    I sometimes think these are things that come up because blogs need content. I do think the eyes closed thing isn't optimal, but it's a minor issue. Also, I'm sure they'll change it to working only when your eyes are open.

If people are so concerned about their phone being unlocked while sleeping, perhaps Google can make it not unlock when there's drool.
    Oh it absolutely is, every site has traffic metrics on what generates the most traffic. Currently I’m pretty sure anything related to pixel will generate most traffic especially controversial stuff. So each and every thing will result in a new article.
    kjharrison likes this.
    10-19-2019 01:03 PM
    I have honestly never been wild about any biometric unlock. You can be knocked out, and your fingerprint will still unlock your phone. I was under the impression Apple's face id worked with your eyes closed.
    10-19-2019 09:52 PM
67 123