10-21-2019 10:43 PM
40 12
tools
    Bezels aside, as I think this bezel hysteria is just damn stupid, but why did Google knee cap this phone so bad?

I mean, at 800 for a base model, you have got to get it right.

Pixel fan: WE LOVE THE FINGERPRINT SCANNER!

Google: Okay, good, let's just remove the fingerprint scanner and replace it with a controversial face scanner.

Pixel fans: We need a bigger battery, thank you for listening with the 3, can you up it more please? We don't mind a thicker phone, as we NEED more battery.

Google: We hear you, so here is a thin light phone, with a smaller battery.

Pixel fans: The storage is to small, we need a mSD card slot, but it's okay, as we can offload all of our pictures. We will deal with it.

Google: We hear you, we love you, so here is a teeny hard drive, no mSD support AND we are removing the cloud storage at original quality.

Seriously, what is wrong with Google. Who is asleep at the wheel? How much do we have to be angry to get this right?

My 2XL is brand new, I am skipping the 4XL, the 5 had better nail it.
    Elky64, Golurk, qnet and 5 others like this.
    10-19-2019 10:17 PM
    2 more from another pixel fan that will stay on Note 10+ this year and see if Google wakes up for Pixel 5.

Pixel fan: I have a pixel 3 XL and would like to upgrade to the upcoming pixel. I am a loyal customer and a good trade in value will get me loyal even more and ready to upgrade.

Google: we hear you. So here is $260 for your MINT pixel 3 XL. Oh and by the way, we appreciate apple phones more than our own pixels, it's why we are giving much more trade in value for apple phones (WTH Google? Seriously).

Pixel fan: almost most flagships now have ultra wide angle camera. You guys mastered camera quality. Give us ultra wide.

Google: we hear you, but you don't need it. We are going to charge you flagship prices but only give you telephoto.
    TheDonJ77, J Dubbs, Elky64 and 2 others like this.
    10-20-2019 01:12 AM
    One more.

Pixel fan: amazing camera. Would be great if you up your game when it comes to video.

Google: thank you and we know that our competitors all moved to 4K at 60fps some time ago BUT we are doing shiiiiittt to improve that on pixel 4. we woul love to charge you flagship prices but only give you 4k at 30fps.

Facepalm
    10-20-2019 01:23 AM
    One more.

Pixel fan: amazing camera. Would be great if you up your game when it comes to video.

Google: thank you and we know that our competitors all moved to 4K at 60fps some time ago BUT we are doing shiiiiittt to improve that on pixel 4. we woul love to charge you flagship prices but only give you 4k at 30fps.

Facepalm
    I wonder if they at least improved their video audio. I think I know the answer.
    10-20-2019 01:31 AM
    Hello, can you hear me now, hello, hello....

No they can't hear you, bad reception in googleplex ))
    10-20-2019 04:28 AM
    Bezels aside, as I think this bezel hysteria is just damn stupid, but why did Google knee cap this phone so bad?

I mean, at 800 for a base model, you have got to get it right.

Pixel fan: WE LOVE THE FINGERPRINT SCANNER!

Google: Okay, good, let's just remove the fingerprint scanner and replace it with a controversial face scanner.

Pixel fans: We need a bigger battery, thank you for listening with the 3, can you up it more please? We don't mind a thicker phone, as we NEED more battery.

Google: We hear you, so here is a thin light phone, with a smaller battery.

Pixel fans: The storage is to small, we need a mSD card slot, but it's okay, as we can offload all of our pictures. We will deal with it.

Google: We hear you, we love you, so here is a teeny hard drive, no mSD support AND we are removing the cloud storage at original quality.

Seriously, what is wrong with Google. Who is asleep at the wheel? How much do we have to be angry to get this right?

My 2XL is brand new, I am skipping the 4XL, the 5 had better nail it.
    They've had MANY chances to nail it, and haven't yet, I don't see why the 5 will be any different. I think they're making pixels for fun, and don't actually expect to make a huge profit on tons of phones sold. I suspect it's more of an advertising ploy to get the Google name out there connected with their other products. The pixels a niche phone, always has been and I think it always will be......at least the way it's being marketed now.
    Nostromo79 likes this.
    10-20-2019 05:01 AM
    I'm 50/50 on buying a 4xl. Currently have a 2 XL. I'm thinking of buying a note 10 or S10 plus instead.
    I feel Google are giving less and less every year. There are 2 main reasons to buy a 4xl imo. Regular software updates and the camera.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    10-20-2019 05:14 AM
    Each model is an improvement and includes a range of new features. Which is why I'll buy it.
    alodar101 likes this.
    10-20-2019 07:34 AM
    Each model is an improvement and includes a range of new features. Which is why I'll buy it.
    Like astrophotography? I mean come on. How many times you are going to take a picture of the night sky? 2 to 3 times and never again? No value add there. Why not give us ultra wide camera instead if this?? Or 128gb base model instead of this? Or a bigger battery instead of this? Features that will actually make a difference. Just my 2 cents.
    10-20-2019 08:43 AM
    I'm 50/50 on buying a 4xl. Currently have a 2 XL. I'm thinking of buying a note 10 or S10 plus instead.
    I feel Google are giving less and less every year. There are 2 main reasons to buy a 4xl imo. Regular software updates and the camera.
    I know it's 6-7 months old but I'm looking at a S10+ as well, don't want note cause I would never use the SPen. Plus Samsung is giving $450 for my 3XL trade in compared to Google $295
    10-20-2019 09:03 AM
    I know it's 6-7 months old but I'm looking at a S10+ as well, don't want note cause I would never use the SPen. Plus Samsung is giving $450 for my 3XL trade in compared to Google $295
    Like many here, I traded my pixel 3 XL for $600 and got the Note 10+. 256GB Base storage. MONSTER of a phone. I now have 10s of Disney movies downloaded right on my phone for my kids and not having to worry about data streaming usage. Things like this is what makes a difference in day to day usage not astrophotography lol.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    10-20-2019 10:21 AM
    Like many here, I traded my pixel 3 XL for $600 and got the Note 10+. 256GB Base storage. MONSTER of a phone. I now have 10s of Disney movies downloaded right on my phone for my kids and not having to worry about data streaming usage. Things like this is what makes a difference in day to day usage not astrophotography lol.
    Yeah, It’s the little things that mean the most.
    Lepa79 likes this.
    10-20-2019 10:37 AM
    I think the black friday deals are going to be off the charts. Sales are going to be terrible for this phone. Wait until all the bad reviews get their release next week.
    benjamminh likes this.
    10-20-2019 10:50 AM
    Even if you don't user the Spen it's a bigger screen.
    10-20-2019 10:51 AM
    Like astrophotography? I mean come on. How many times you are going to take a picture of the night sky? 2 to 3 times and never again? No value add there. Why not give us ultra wide camera instead if this?? Or 128gb base model instead of this? Or a bigger battery instead of this? Features that will actually make a difference. Just my 2 cents.
    I totally agree here. Also I'm on pixel 2 xl and was looking forward to upgrading but a 64 gig base model is ridiculous.
    10-20-2019 02:00 PM
    Google seems to be hiring former Apple executives.

All the BS is Apple like.

I'm shocked Apple listened. Making the 11 Pro/Max thicker hence bigger and better battery life. Adding Ultra Wide and improving the front according to my girl.
    10-20-2019 04:23 PM
    My wife has a fairly new 2 XL and I was seriously contemplating getting a Pixel in the not to distant future. That thought quickly went out the window after seeing their Pixel 4 offerings. Definitely won't be spending 1K (CAD) for a measly 64GB , that's a joke.
    10-20-2019 05:41 PM
    Do you mean to say Google is trying to put forth a vision and it doesn't comply with what you think it should be? Do you have a better smartphone to offer? yeah I'm being snarky tonight.
    firebirder likes this.
    10-20-2019 06:03 PM
    Do you mean to say Google is trying to put forth a vision and it doesn't comply with what you think it should be? Do you have a better smartphone to offer? yeah I'm being snarky tonight.
    You can be as snarky as you like, but it's pretty clear that this phone is objectively lacking features.

One case in point, the smaller battery in the regular 4.

The giant security hole in the face unlock.

The lack of fingerprint scanner that PIXEL fans cheered.

Do I have a better smart phone? Well no, as I am not a tech company, that doesn't mean that I can't call out and recongize bad.

I can't throw a football, I know when a quarterback is playing bad.

I can't play the guitar, I know when one is out of tune.

Your snark is misguided and ridiculous.
    Elky64 likes this.
    10-20-2019 08:04 PM
    Nope it doesn't and that's why it won't grace my hands. In my opinion their vision is slanted, and I'm doubting their camera tech (which helped put them on the map) will continue to be their saviour. Nothing too earth shattering brought to the 4, imo.

Do you have a better smartphone to offer? Sure do, one's that more inline with MY vision and not the manufactures.

BTW... I used quotes so there's no doubt to whom my question is being directed at. Yup being snarky too.
    10-20-2019 08:25 PM
    Sorry but you call 64gb base storage, taking away free unlimited original backup, and $260 trade in value for my pixel 3 XL a "vision"? LOL excuse me for laughing my butt off lol.
    Elky64 likes this.
    10-20-2019 08:25 PM
    I knew what I was getting coming into this forum, but damn are people whining.

64GB not enough? How? My 2 xl had 64GB, had it since launch and only used 60%. And half the apps on here are never or early used.

10's of movies? Why? I get it there are times that my son MUST be entertained by buring his head in my phone, but those are few and far between. I really don't get why people need movies or multiple downloaded on their phone. Yeah it saves data, but are you that close to going offer that much or that often?

Bigger battery? Ok, I get that, but how often are people needing to kill their battery without being able to plug in it.

Samsung? Note 10? I think Samsung phones look nice, but can't stand using them personally. Nor do I need a screen that size (Note 10).

Fingerprint scanner? Never used, but I understand it is/could be very quick, but there are some serious concerns I have with a fingerprint scanner. That's why there are multiple options for security.

Just my 2 cents. I know it's just my opinion and it doesn't matter, but my opinion means as much as yours...
    speedtrap63 likes this.
    10-21-2019 12:46 AM

64GB not enough? How? My 2 xl had 64GB, had it since launch and only used 60%. And half the apps on here are never or early used.

10's of movies? Why? I get it there are times that my son MUST be entertained by buring his head in my phone, but those are few and far between. I really don't get why people need movies or multiple downloaded on their phone. Yeah it saves data, but are you that close to going offer that much or that often?

Bigger battery? Ok, I get that, but how often are people needing to kill their battery without being able to plug in it.

Samsung? Note 10? I think Samsung phones look nice, but can't stand using them personally. Nor do I need a screen that size (Note 10).

Fingerprint scanner? Never used, but I understand it is/could be very quick, but there are some serious concerns I have with a fingerprint scanner. That's why there are multiple options for security.

Just my 2 cents. I know it's just my opinion and it doesn't matter, but my opinion means as much as yours...
    This is every year lol

People act like Google did something personal to them by not giving them what they want and ***** for a few months. The sky is falling, I'll never buy another Google product again!

Then users also generalize and say that the majority of phone users want the same thing they are crying about, but offer no evidence that is the case.

Every year, round and round we go.
    firebirder and speedtrap63 like this.
    10-21-2019 05:06 AM

That's the thing, it's just YOUR opinion like other's is THERE'S. You're accepting of Google's offering(s) while others, are not. So if we're civil we tend to agree to disagree right?

As for 64GB not being enough? Maybe or maybe not as that depends on each individual user. The fact remains, Google chose to cheap out making 64GB more of a concern (for some) especially now that they've decided original full-res photo uploads are no longer an option (w/o paying a fee that is). And really, how much would it have cost them to make their base-line model 128GB?

Battery... It's not the point "how often" people kill their battery as I rarely, if ever, do. But owning several devices with killer batteries, it is sure nice having, especially during those times when a power source needed to charges isn't convenient and/or readily available. Been there done that more than once. And in my opinion going backwards on mAh (Pixel 4) just wasn't all that smart on Google's part considering, in most instances, technology (here) usually advances when going forward.

You may find/believe a fingerprint scanner concerning yet the point of the matter is, it took away "choice". Pretty sure the majority of other high-end phones gives that option in one form or another yet Goggle chose to eliminate it altogether. I personally don't mind face unlock or using a pin, yet definitely prefer a fingerprint scanner (use moistly).

The way I see it, Google has always trailed a tad yet wants to be amongst flagships and charging flagship prices... Took the Pixel 4 for them to realize "yeah maybe it's time for 6GB RAM". Yup came out with 90Hz refresh rate display and gesture controls woohoo. Unlikely to be a focal point for the average Pixel 4 buyer/user, and I'll bet on those ones... Their camera tech will only carry them so far.
    10-21-2019 07:01 AM
    technology (here) usually advances when going forward.
    Battery technology, for the type used in phones, has remained fairly stagnant for a while. The power/size ratio hasn't changed significantly.

Pretty sure the majority of other high-end phones gives that option in one form or another yet Goggle chose to eliminate it altogether.
    Except that the "benchmark" device, the iPhone, is now on the second iteration of the FPR-less design.

My opinion - the Pixel line is little more than a re-branding of Nexus in an effort to make it more of a consumer brand. Nexus was always the baseline device, the "clean" one for developers to play with and Google to show the base OS off with. Google wanted to get away from that stigma so the line was re-branded as the Pixel but didn't stray far from the "baseline" design decisions. I'm not trying to justify the price point, it's definitely high for keeping with those design decisions, but people that don't want an iPhone and don't care about the specs like people on here do will see a Google device priced like an iPhone and think it might be just as good while not being an iPhone.
    10-21-2019 08:15 AM
40 12