Are you paying an "upgrade" or "activation" fee when you jump to the P4?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
If you buy the carrier version for whatever reason you should just be able to take out the unactivated SIM prior to activation and pop in the old SIM to avoid the fee. I've done that in the past with no charges.

That doesn't usually work for AT&T.

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
If you buy the carrier version for whatever reason you should just be able to take out the unactivated SIM prior to activation and pop in the old SIM to avoid the fee. I've done that in the past with no charges.

I remember I tried that last year when I upgraded from my Pixel 2 to Pixel 3, but it didn't work for me. I bought my Pixel 3 at Best Buy. I swapped in my old Pixel 2 sim into the Pixel 3, and everything worked it seemed. Except phone and I believe LTE data. I was at home when I set up (on wifi) and I thought it was working fine. But when I left home, I later realized i was not getting calls or able to access data.
I had to call Verizon, and they did something to activate that old SIM and all worked fine, but still got hit with the $30 activation. Perhaps I missed a step or something to get around it.

alodar101

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
T-Mobile still does it as well with their phones. They just now call it a "SIM card kit" and do the exact same.

That sim card kit dropped in price though... Used to be$35/25....I think it's now$10

Either way, if you used an already activated sim, they most likely don't card that fee

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
That sim card kit dropped in price though... Used to be$35/25....I think it's now$10

Either way, if you used an already activated sim, they most likely don't card that fee

Most likely? Oh no they def. do. You go online and upgrade it will force it in the cart... even if you have a SIM.

As I said they just pretended to get rid of it and renamed it.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 6, 2013
Visit site
Did the OP try asking to have the activation fee waived? I remember when I was with att I would remind them I was a good customer, and there were plenty of other places to spend my money...

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: Are you paying an "upgrade" or "activation" fee when you jump to the P4?

I remember I tried that last year when I upgraded from my Pixel 2 to Pixel 3, but it didn't work for me. I bought my Pixel 3 at Best Buy. I swapped in my old Pixel 2 sim into the Pixel 3, and everything worked it seemed. Except phone and I believe LTE data. I was at home when I set up (on wifi) and I thought it was working fine. But when I left home, I later realized i was not getting calls or able to access data.
I had to call Verizon, and they did something to activate that old SIM and all worked fine, but still got hit with the $30 activation. Perhaps I missed a step or something to get around it.
I'm still using a SIM that was originally in an a LG G5.
You probably bought the Verizon model at Best Buy and got charged the activation fee.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol