Pixel 4 reviews

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
https://www.engadget.com/2019/10/21/google-pixel-4-face-unlock-selfie-camera-problems/

This is down right embarrassing now.

My first issue with Face Unlock, aside from the soon-to-be-patched eye detection flaw, is that it only allows me to add one facial print. On the iPhone, you can have one alternate "look." As my colleague Chris Velazco pointed out in his review, the Pixel 4 doesn't recognize me as the same person with and without makeup on. When I set up Face Unlock with a bare face, I couldn't get into my phone when I was done up. When I set it up with makeup on, I couldn't log in after washing my face. This was a problem regardless of how much makeup I was wearing. The Pixel 4 had trouble recognizing me even when I used a smaller amount, and only logged me in about 50 percent of the time.

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
My favorite part about phone reviews is battery life. Hello I get paid to use the crap out of a new device then complain about its battery life after constantly using it and showing it off while I review the phone. IMO I feel like one week usage reviews are pretty pointless and utterly useless.

I don't understand making a decision to buy a phone based off of how someone else uses the phone for only one week. Then again I think most phone reviews are garbage anyway and most reviewers are bias towards what they like. If it doesn't check boxes on what that specific reviewer likes then the device is garbage to them. Had I ever once listened to a reviewer about what phone to purchase I would have skipped some very nice phones that I enjoyed a lot, and only ever had samsung which I don't like (even though I keep trying them lol).

njstone9

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
Even the XL battery life appears very poor, very disappointing but not really unexpected I guess.

What is good screen on time?

I get around 4.5 hours with my P2XL.

I always have to top up the phone at lunchtime unless I'm at work when I barely have time to use the thing.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Reviews seem to be (rightfully) hammering the Pixel 4. Pixel phones have imo gotten worse with every generation and we're at a low point with the 4:

- 90hz screen with small battery leads to abysmal battery life (jeez surely couldn't see this one coming a mile away....)
- No wide angle camera and just a 2x telephoto
- Competition have caught up/surpassed with camera
- Video performance has been bested by a lot of the competition oh and no 4k/60fps
- Competition have caught up/surpassed with UI/speed
- Google not offering unlimited photo/video
storage at original quality for free anymore
- Gimmicky hand gestures that barely work and have limited use
- New Google Assistant doesn't work with G Suite apps (what the....)

Really scratching my head as to why I'd want to buy a Pixel now? Software updates?

Just not good enough imo. Here's hoping they remove Rick Osterloh and get someone better to direct the Pixel line of products.

I always have to top up the phone at lunchtime unless I'm at work when I barely have time to use the thing.

I don't think I've gotten less than 6 hours screen time on my Galaxy S10+. Love the batter on it. Just keeps chugging no matter how hard I go at it.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

4.5 isn't bad but it's not great. Screen on time doesn't tell the whole story though, as really depends on the types of apps and what's running in the background.

kjharrison

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
If one were to turn off the 90Hz display, would battery life increase?

Yes, but why would you turn off a feature that's a positive for the phone?

From what I've read and seen, it looks like I'll get the same battery life that I do with my Pixel XL, which gives me a full day if I don't use it often.

I use:
  • Dark mode
  • Amoled wallpaper
  • Android Auto, which requires the phone to be plugged
  • I'm in the habit of topping it off after work
  • I'm not a gamer (use it most for news, email, pictures, travel, finding restaurants, etc...)

I tend to think these reviewers use the phone more than I do. Think about how you use your phone--be honest--when you read these reviews.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon