MKBHD Review is Out. Google can NOT be happy lol

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Everything was obvious before it came out, I just couldn't believe they didn't include wide angle cam and I thought 2800mah battery was seriously some sort of bad joke. I though if Soli was made by Google then maybe it had some killer features. But no....it was all as bad as rumors claimed.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
While the phone has some drawbacks, lack of wide angle lens for me is biggest, the phone overall looks great...just expensive. in terms of android if i was to buy one this year, itd probably be the 3a XL, BUT if i saw Pixel 4 XL on sale for a great deal (in 1 month theyll start) id totally buy into this device. Google should have made better decisions indeed, but i still think the device looks great. Not sure what people were expecting, Google never over delivered before so why now?

anon(10641352)

Oct 21, 2019
Visit site
I would have liked to see google test out your theory.
Me too. However, I still value vanilla Android over pretty much everything else. I'm near a phone charger 99% of the time. The ultra wide might have been neat to play with but in reality I can think of more cases that I've needed to zoom in than I needed a wider field of view. Maybe I'm wrong on that but it just sticks out in my mind more.

I refuse to buy a phone that has a bunch of garbage on it like most of the non Pixel devices out there. I know the other manufacturers have cut down on that in recent years but they all add random apps that you can't remove without rooting and ADB. I believe the new Samsungs mandate that you have Facebook on your phone and won't let you remove it. I know a number of people that would be livid about that.

Again, they could've done better I'm not saying they couldn't but the plain Android and no bloatware is why I buy pixels and I'm sure I'm not the only one...

bkrickles

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Me too. However, I still value vanilla Android over pretty much everything else. I'm near a phone charger 99% of the time. The ultra wide might have been neat to play with but in reality I can think of more cases that I've needed to zoom in than I needed a wider field of view. Maybe I'm wrong on that but it just sticks out in my mind more.

I refuse to buy a phone that has a bunch of garbage on it like most of the non Pixel devices out there. I know the other manufacturers have cut down on that in recent years but they all add random apps that you can't remove without rooting and ADB. I believe the new Samsungs mandate that you have Facebook on your phone and won't let you remove it. I know a number of people that would be livid about that.

Again, they could've done better I'm not saying they couldn't but the plain Android and no bloatware is why I buy pixels and I'm sure I'm not the only one...

You are definitely not the only one.
I've gone from the Nexus 6P to the 2xl to the 3xl and now (tomorrow) the 4xl.
I am also near a charger almost all of the time, so battery life, while important, is not the end all for ME.
Also, I go to many concerts and sporting events and find myself always wanting a better zoom experience. I don't know yet how this will be on the 4xl, but I'm ok with the decision of zoom over wide angle. But again, that's just ME.
I look forward to forming my own opinion and I'm cautiously optimistic.

anon(10641352)

Oct 21, 2019
Visit site
You are definitely not the only one.
I've gone from the Nexus 6P to the 2xl to the 3xl and now (tomorrow) the 4xl.
I am also near a charger almost all of the time, so battery life, while important, is not the end all for ME.
Also, I go to many concerts and sporting events and find myself always wanting a better zoom experience. I don't know yet how this will be on the 4xl, but I'm ok with the decision of zoom over wide angle. But again, that's just ME.
I look forward to forming my own opinion and I'm cautiously optimistic.
I'm with you. I'm going from a Pixel 2 XL to tons this so I'm sure it'll be in upgrade in several areas.

I know the zoom will me minimal but it's something. It arrives tomorrow so only time will tell but I can tell you already I like the frosted glass on the back. No finger prints!

nelamvr6

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm already starting a wish list for the Pixel 5. Google needs to quit mucking about and put the good hardware into the phones already. If they're going to charge premium prices, they need to have premium hardware.

Once they (finally) do that, then their superior software integration will make an absolute killer phone.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Yeah saw that like an hour ago. He said for tech people who are willing to spend money on an over priced phone he recommends it bc still a great phone but when compared to the price of the iPhone 11 $699 and it what you get from it for the average person he won't recommend it. Sort of have to agree with him to be honest. Google should of priced these phones at least $50 cheaper imho then maybe they wouldn't get as much negativity. Over all he still gave it props etc. Just like most phones you have to compromise but I wish battery wasn't one of the compromises.

LOL I'd go back to a landline before I bought an iPhone. I'm near enough to a charger all day 99% of the time and I don't have a need for wide angle so I'm perfectly happy with the Pixel.

Perhaps a better option for Android fans is the OnePlus 7 Pro, or OnePlus 7T. Yea the camera is not as good (BUT its very serviceable), but in every other way its just as good if not better. And OnePlus has gotten MUCH, MUCH better at doing the updates. Of course the Pixel phones are better at updates, but OnePlus is not far off!

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Perhaps a better option for Android fans is the OnePlus 7 Pro, or OnePlus 7T. Yea the camera is not as good (BUT its very serviceable), but in every other way its just as good if not better. And OnePlus has gotten MUCH, MUCH better at doing the updates. Of course the Pixel phones are better at updates, but OnePlus is not far off!

Yeah, been debating about it, but OnePlus 8 is supposed to finally have wireless charging. I will wait for that if it's true.

anon(10641352)

Oct 21, 2019
Visit site
I mean if I was to buy a non Pixel device that would probably be the one.

DestinedtoGame

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Google was smart to align with Verizon at first. As a Verizon customer, we have very limited options for phones. I don't want an iPhone, I am not an overall Samsung fan, and the LG V series is enjoyable but not exactly what I want. Pixel for many of us is the only real option. Especially, for those of who have bad credit and utilize the trade in program. It just works.

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Internal storage still at 64 or 128 gigs, free original storage gone, and a downgraded pixel battery.... It really makes me feel like Google is being stingy.

Google is really pushing people into Google One with these imo purposefully anemic phones. I can see taking away original storage but 128 gigs should have been the minimum this year if there were only two storage options. I'm still going to purchase the phone, but I'm waiting on a sale. Maybe...

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm still going to purchase the phone, but I'm waiting on a sale. Maybe...

I'm waiting for Black Friday, simply because I'm tired of feeling burned every Black Friday.

If there's no orange available then though, will probably still have that feeling 😬

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I'm waiting for Black Friday, simply because I'm tired of feeling burned every Black Friday.

If there's no orange available then though, will probably still have that feeling ??????

I am also waiting to see the pricing during Black Friday. Been buying it since day one last couple years, got burned by Google every year.

Nostromo79

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
Seems unfortunate that the phone's being panned. I've kept a casual eye on the Pixel over the years but have always stopped far short of getting one because of the lack of expandable storage. I suppose that if all flagships adopt 1TB as base storage someday my concerns would be alleviated. I was ready to pounce on a 1TB Note10 Plus (5G even!) but word of that purported device was just a speculative mirage.

DreamSTi

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
What I dont understand is he compares the pixel to the iphone 11 pro camera throughout the video, then at the end throws the pixel under the bus for price in comparison to the iphone 11 (not pro). Seems silly to me. MKBHD is a huge youtuber, and I take the big guys' reviews with a grain of salt these days - who's paying them the most money!

Lobwedgephil

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
What I dont understand is he compares the pixel to the iphone 11 pro camera throughout the video, then at the end throws the pixel under the bus for price in comparison to the iphone 11 (not pro). Seems silly to me. MKBHD is a huge youtuber, and I take the big guys' reviews with a grain of salt these days - who's paying them the most money!

It is the same camera despite the telephoto lens, but you get the same quality for most shots. Probably why he did that. Either way, he is a huge pixel guy, so not a great look. But he did say for the tech enthusiast, like most on a forum like this, it will be a good phone and I am still excited about it.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I thought it was a fair review for the most part. DreamSTI did make a good point about the price compare at the end IMHO.

I'm a MKBHD fan, and have been a Google phone fan since the Nexus One. I once spent a lot of time on these forums. I don't know enough about photography to debate the wide-angle lense stuff.

I do agree with him about the battery life, missing fingerprint sensor and the face unlock bothers me some. I will definitely set the face unlock up for not bypassing the lock screen.

Sophos

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Agree, they are making a Nexus phone and charging iPhone prices. For me, they don't have a compelling argument given the price. And the low trade in values for the 3 series make it even worse.
^^So much this.

The Nexus reviews used to all say something like "excellent phone... considering the price point" (same with One Plus). Now they're charging more and keeping the compromises. On top of that, removing the unlimited OG picture quality perk and not increasing the baseline storage is crazy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

PS, this is a little lemon juice in that paper cut: www.redmondpie.com/iphone-users-can...le-new-pixel-users-can-no-longer-do-that/amp/