MKBHD Review is Out. Google can NOT be happy lol

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
Google really dropped the ball this year. The Pixel 3 XL last year was so much better than the iPhone XS Max, but that's because its single camera on the back did so much better than the two cameras on the back of the iPhone XS Max. And it also had stellar battery life.

If Google would've put a larger battery (at least 4500 mAh), and three cameras on the back (regular, wide angle, and 2X zoom), then it would've had a winner on its hands. But because it only has two cameras and sub par battery life, I won't be picking one up. This will be the first year where I won't be picking up a Pixel device and I'm not all that happy about it. Seems like the OnePlus 7T would be the better buy. I was going to trade in my iPhone 11 Pro Max for a Pixel 4 XL, but now I'm not going to. I love the versatility of the iPhone's cameras and Apple just kills it in video recording.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
The thing that’s embarrassing about the Pixel that it still can’t even compare to an iPhone 7 in the video recording department. It’s the 4th iteration of this phone and still no 4K @ 60 on the rear camera and the front camera doesn’t even record in 1080 @ 60 LOL. Such a joke.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Google really dropped the ball this year. The Pixel 3 XL last year was so much better than the iPhone XS Max, but that's because its single camera on the back did so much better than the two cameras on the back of the iPhone XS Max. And it also had stellar battery life.

If Google would've put a larger battery (at least 4500 mAh), and three cameras on the back (regular, wide angle, and 2X zoom), then it would've had a winner on its hands. But because it only has two cameras and sub par battery life, I won't be picking one up. This will be the first year where I won't be picking up a Pixel device and I'm not all that happy about it. Seems like the OnePlus 7T would be the better buy. I was going to trade in my iPhone 11 Pro Max for a Pixel 4 XL, but now I'm not going to. I love the versatility of the iPhone's cameras and Apple just kills it in video recording.

I have no opinion on your decision, just that I wouldn't have traded my Iphone 11 pro max for the Pixel 4 XL, no matter what it had. You could sell it for much more.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Fanboys are finding excuses to defend Google. This release will show it.

No company is perfect. I heavily criticized Apple, Samsung, etc. I said that the Galaxy S4 is one of the worst flagships ever released, I kept it for 2 weeks. TouchWiz is the reason why I kept switching back to Apple & BlackBerry.

nelamvr6

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Fanboys are finding excuses to defend Google. This release will show it.

No company is perfect. I heavily criticized Apple, Samsung, etc. I said that the Galaxy S4 is one of the worst flagships ever released, I kept it for 2 weeks. TouchWiz is the reason why I kept switching back to Apple & BlackBerry.

I'm pretty sure this phone is gonna be fine for my needs, so I'm still looking forward to receiving mine.

I remember that Samsung phones weren't really anything to get excited about until the Galaxy S6. The Pixel 4 doesn't look like it was the step forward that I and a lot of people were hoping for. But I'm betting that Google will learn from this, and I'm hoping that they get their **** together by their 5th iteration, and not need a 6th like Samsung did.

But at any rate this phone will fit my usage model just fine.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The thing that’s embarrassing about the Pixel that it still can’t even compare to an iPhone 7 in the video recording department. It’s the 4th iteration of this phone and still no 4K @ 60 on the rear camera and the front camera doesn’t even record in 1080 @ 60 LOL. Such a joke.
Yeah you can say its embarrassing iPhone finally comes with a faster charger in box, oh wait the base one doesn't and has to be purchased separately. What about 11 iteration and no split screen yet but iPads have it ,or wait maybe you dont use that feature and maybe I don't use 4k@60 ... No phone is perfect and I know Google left some things off the table but it's still going be one of best experience on a android phone . I'll purchase one later on and hope they get it close to perfect with the next one .

beaner b

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
I thought it was a fair review for the most part. DreamSTI did make a good point about the price compare at the end IMHO.

I'm a MKBHD fan, and have been a Google phone fan since the Nexus One. I once spent a lot of time on these forums. I don't know enough about photography to debate the wide-angle lense stuff.

I do agree with him about the battery life, missing fingerprint sensor and the face unlock bothers me some. I will definitely set the face unlock up for not bypassing the lock screen.

Someone did that and said the notifications were slow to open from the lock screen but normal speed from the pull down, so they changed it back.
With the issues that unwanted unlocks pose, maybe the best is to keep the lock screen and swipe unlock for the notifications. That's my plan anyway rn.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I have yet to see one phone where people don't complain about battery life. Everyone always wants more battery. Just sayin...

I got a Huawei p30 pro last Friday. It has a 4200Mah battery and fast charging. Totally different. I am no a video consumer and never had much of problem on my Pixel 3 but then I'm a happy guy although I hate EMUI--so far.

anthonium

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I've been trying to wonder why at this price point you have to buy the headphones separately as well as the USB to regular headphone jack converter. The latter fine but still, no headphones? Does Google assume everyone is coming from Pixel 2 or 3?

anon(10641352)

Oct 21, 2019
Visit site
I've been trying to wonder why at this price point you have to buy the headphones separately as well as the USB to regular headphone jack converter. The latter fine but still, no headphones? Does Google assume everyone is coming from Pixel 2 or 3?

I for one have never used the headphones that came in the box with a phone. Personally I throw them straight in the trash. They aren't very good...

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
So if you drop your screen brightness down to 75% or below, Smooth Display also drops the refresh rate from 90Hz to 60Hz. This "feature" is widely considered to be a battery saving measure.

The 90Hz display is the only thing saving the Pixel 4, and if it's not even going to work unless I'm blasting the brightness, then it's pretty useless.

I'm on the verge of canceling my pre-order. Google seriously doesn't deserve full price for this device. The reviews are universally panning the battery life. Google did it again -- they let a hardware mistake create a problem that didn't need to exist. It's officially their RAM-issue of this year.

anon(10641352)

Oct 21, 2019
Visit site
The ones that came with the 3XL weren't bad as far as sound. I didn't like the ear fit.
I just don't understand why everyone gets upset about them. 9 out of 10 people have other Bluetooth headphones they use. I rarely see anyone with wired headphones anymore. Just sayin...

anthonium

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Yes but what is the reasoning if they've included them up to this point? Despite whether some people use them or not or people using Bluetooth headphones? Why do it and keep same price? Or because of the soli features maybe the cost had to be reduced elsewhere? It's more of the removing features part that bugs me personally however others may be fine with it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alastair