MKBHD Review is Out. Google can NOT be happy lol

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Oh boy. Google must be watching all these reviews and going, "Hmmmm, I think we messed up" lol

Marques is normally a HUGE pixel fan. For him to not recommend this phone to most people, is saying something.

https://youtu.be/mfbSqTB74xM
Yeah saw that like an hour ago. He said for tech people who are willing to spend money on an over priced phone he recommends it bc still a great phone but when compared to the price of the iPhone 11 $699 and it what you get from it for the average person he won't recommend it. Sort of have to agree with him to be honest. Google should of priced these phones at least $50 cheaper imho then maybe they wouldn't get as much negativity. Over all he still gave it props etc. Just like most phones you have to compromise but I wish battery wasn't one of the compromises.

anon(10641352)

Oct 21, 2019
Visit site
LOL I'd go back to a landline before I bought an iPhone. I'm near enough to a charger all day 99% of the time and I don't have a need for wide angle so I'm perfectly happy with the Pixel.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
LOL I'd go back to a landline before I bought an iPhone. I'm near enough to a charger all day 99% of the time and I don't have a need for wide angle so I'm perfectly happy with the Pixel.
I have a moment wide angle lens for that I just need to order the new case.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I really don't understand Google's decisions.

Reminds me of BlackBerry, hTc and how instead of listening to what we want, they're telling them what we need. I know specs can be just bragging rights but why couldn't they put 855+, 8GB RAM and 64GB seems like a **** move and they're charging premium for it.

I'm not a fan of Cameras and don't understand the obsession but I want an Ultra Wide.

anon(10641352)

Oct 21, 2019
Visit site
I'm honestly not trying to sound like an Android Homer when I say this but the zoom is going to be more useful to me than the wide angle lense. I mean just last week I was trying to take a picture of an Elk out in a field and the zoom got so grainy. I hope the zoom is as clear as they say it is.

barondebxl

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
This phone is the disappointment of 2019 to me. Google should stick to software. Maybe go back to the nexus program or something cause they just keep ******* up

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I’m definitely in the minority audience like him who will like the phone

But in general his review was spot on and great. And agree Google will definitely not be happy with all the reviews.

But anyone with half brain who knows the mobile tech scene knew how the reviews going to be. If google pixel team leaders didn’t realize it, they got to let them go and have someone else lead the team. It’s like they developed the phone with blinders on and not seeing what the android and iPhone competition has been doing.

njstone9

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
I'm honestly not trying to sound like an Android Homer when I say this but the zoom is going to be more useful to me than the wide angle lense. I mean just last week I was trying to take a picture of an Elk out in a field and the zoom got so grainy. I hope the zoom is as clear as they say it is.

The problem is that it's only 2x, not 3 or even 5x, as Marcus points out. So it doesn't make a huge difference.

Seems that every year Google do something that puts a big downer on the phone.

This year it's reduced battery life, missing the ultra wide camera, and a meh telefoto lens.

Maybe you can also add into that incorporating a bezel for the radar feature which a) doesn't do much and b) isn't even available in all countries.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Marques is normally a HUGE pixel fan. For him to not recommend this phone to most people, is saying something.

Yeah Marquez is usually a huge fan of Pixels, but looks like the Pixel 4 broke him for a few reasons:

1. The competition has gotten significantly better whereas Google has barely moved forward.
2. The standout feature of the Pixel, the camera, has now been bested by the cheaper iPhone 11.
3. The battery life on the Pixel 4 is simply not acceptable when everyone else is putting 4k+ mAh batteries in their phones.
4. Soli as MKBHD called it, is a gimmick and has very limited use.

So what is he supposed to get excited about? The 90hz screen is offset by the increased battery usage and that it doesn't turn on the 90hz very often. Face unlock can be extremely inconvenient as he mentioned, you don't necessarily want to unlock your phone every time you look at it.

Can't blame him for the review. At least he's honest and not shilling for Google.

Sure, except other phones have both options; telephoto and ultra wide. No reason why Google couldn't have included both.

anon(10641352)

Oct 21, 2019
Visit site
Those other phones have their drawbacks too. Let's not act looked they're perfect. The iPhone is well Apple (biggest drawback of them all) and pretty much every other phone you could mention is loaded with garbage apps out of the box that you can't remove without jumping though a ton of hoops. Let's be honest here they could've added a bigger battery, three lenses, the thinnest bezels ever, and lowered the price and people would still find something to complain about. I'm not saying they couldn't have done better. I'm just saying that no matter what they did people would still be complaining...

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Those order other phones have their drawbacks too. Let's not act looked they're perfect. The iPhone is well Apple and pretty much every other phone you could mention is loaded with garbage apps out of the box that you can't remove without jumping though a ton of hoops. Let's be honest here they could've added a bigger battery, three lenses, the thinnest bezels ever, and lowered the price and people would still find something to complain about. I'm not saying they couldn't have done better. I'm just saying that no matter what they did people would still be complaining...

Sure, every phone has drawbacks, but they're not fundamental like....battery life.

If Google put in a large batter in the device (and let's be honest the phone has more than enough space for one) then that would alleviate a lot of the backlash. Telephoto lens was a choice they made over wide angle, which is lame as the competition are offering three, but whatever, they've always been a lens behind.

It's just the package they're offering, with the significant drawbacks and compared to the competition that is putting people off.

The Pixel isn't a good selling phone. The Pixel 3 didn't sell well at all, and Google aren't going to get people buying their phones when reviewers are saying 'can't recommend', 'bad battery life' etc are the headlines.

There will always be complaints, but the complaints the Pixel 4 is getting are issues that OEM's have resolved for a while now.

C5Longhorn

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Agree, they are making a Nexus phone and charging iPhone prices. For me, they don't have a compelling argument given the price. And the low trade in values for the 3 series make it even worse.

anon(10641352)

Oct 21, 2019
Visit site
Sure, every phone has drawbacks, but they're not fundamental like....battery life.

If Google put in a large batter in the device (and let's be honest the phone has more than enough space for one) then that would alleviate a lot of the backlash. Telephoto lens was a choice they made over wide angle, which is lame as the competition are offering three, but whatever, they've always been a lens behind.

It's just the package they're offering, with the significant drawbacks and compared to the competition that is putting people off.

The Pixel isn't a good selling phone. The Pixel 3 didn't sell well at all, and Google aren't going to get people buying their phones when reviewers are saying 'can't recommend', 'bad battery life' etc are the headlines.

There will always be complaints, but the complaints the Pixel 4 is getting are issues that OEM's have resolved for a while now.
I have yet to see one phone where people don't complain about battery life. Everyone always wants more battery. Just sayin...

garment69

Banned
May 10, 2013
Visit site
Those other phones have their drawbacks too. Let's not act looked they're perfect. The iPhone is well Apple (biggest drawback of them all) and pretty much every other phone you could mention is loaded with garbage apps out of the box that you can't remove without jumping though a ton of hoops. Let's be honest here they could've added a bigger battery, three lenses, the thinnest bezels ever, and lowered the price and people would still find something to complain about. I'm not saying they couldn't have done better. I'm just saying that no matter what they did people would still be complaining...

I would have liked to see google test out your theory.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
... I'm not saying they couldn't have done better. I'm just saying that no matter what they did people would still be complaining...

Well yes. People always call complain.
But that doesn’t give Google the excuse to not build a better phone. The reality is that there are some early indications that some of the fears that folks had may be justified about this phone. Now in a couple weeks to a month when actual users report their findings we will get a clearer picture. But so far it does not look great.

I think a better overall statement about people is this: No matter what, people will complain about a phone. Sometimes the complaints are justified, sometimes they are not.

I do think there is a bit of hyperbole going around on these reviews, but I also think that there are some justified concerns. Time will tell.