https://www.androidcentral.com/google-pixel-4-xl-review

Honestly my pixel 4 xl comes tomorrow and looking forward to it. I'll test it for like a week and if the battery really is as bad as they say then I'll return it. If it's at least as good as the pixel 3 xl then I'll be okay, not happy but I'll keep it. However, if it's worse I'll return it.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    10-22-2019 02:29 PM

Honestly my pixel 4 xl comes tomorrow and looking forward to it. I'll test it for like a week and if the battery really is as bad as they say then I'll return it. If it's at least as good as the pixel 3 xl then I'll be okay, not happy but I'll keep it. However, if it's worse I'll return it.
    I think on the pixel 4xl your going be ok , but definitely like to hear back from you on this .
    10-22-2019 02:30 PM
    I think on the pixel 4xl your going be ok , but definitely like to hear back from you on this .
    Based on a lot of the reviews I've read and seen on YouTube people were getting 5-6 hrs of screen on time if that's the case I'll be truely happy as on my 3 xl I'm only getting around 4 these days at the best. But we will see I'm not going to think the worse and continue to be excited bc there are a few videos out there where people are getting that 5- hr. Also saw a battery drain test between the pixel 4 xl and few other phones and I think they actually got like 6+ hrs with running bench tests, streaming video and playing games etc in all phones for comparison. So that made me feel good too. Android central said he tracked using starva and from my experience that used a lot of battery especially with gps on the entire time tracking your route so maybe that has to do with his experience but who knows.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    10-22-2019 02:44 PM
    Take everything with a grain of salt. There's a lot of people that just like to harp on every detail and make things sound worse than they seem. It's like the news. If everything was great no one would watch. Bad news gets views. If this phone had 3 cameras, a 10,000 mAh battery, thinnest bezels ever, 36gb of ram, and the best screen ever on a phone and people would still find something to complain about. Just saying...
    cribble2k and qnet like this.
    10-22-2019 02:50 PM
    Take everything with a grain of salt. There's a lot of people that just like to harp on every detail and make things sound worse than they seem. It's like the news. If everything was great no one would watch. Bad news gets views. If this phone had 3 cameras, a 10,000 mAh battery, thinnest bezels ever, 36gb of ram, and the best screen ever on a phone and people would still find something to complain about. Just saying...
    That's true and a lot of YouTubers who bashed the pixel 3 and 3 xl later on the year have it good reviews "1 year later".

At the same time maybe this feedback is good for us consumers and hopefully influence google to add a bigger battery next time around.
    10-22-2019 02:52 PM
    There are a lot of valid complaints for the Pixel but lot of YouTubers and sites go for content which gets the most views. They know the vocal android community in general hates Google and Pixel and they churn out videos and articles which gives them most views and hits. But behind the back they are happily using their Pixels or iPhones.

I for one never care what the YouTubers or tech bloggers say. I make own decisions based on what I like
    dmxjago and Golurk like this.
    10-22-2019 03:15 PM
    There are a lot of valid complaints for the Pixel but lot of YouTubers and sites go for content which gets the most views. They know the vocal android community in general hates Google and Pixel and they churn out videos and articles which gives them most views and hits. But behind the back they are happily using their Pixels or iPhones.

I for one never care what the YouTubers or tech bloggers say. I make own decisions based on what I like
    I agree. I guess I'm the opposite of a lot of people. I've had Nexus/Pixel phones for years. I love them and hope they never go out if production. On the other hand I absolutely hate Samsung. Only phone I dislike more is the iPhone. Vanilla Android and no bloatware is what I want...
    10-22-2019 03:22 PM
    I agree with you guys food points there. On another note so far regardless of the compromises each Google phone has had I have enjoyed my Nexus 6p, pixel XL, pixel 2 xl, pixel 3 xl & hopefully the pixel 4 xl won't be any different. If anything I see tons of improvements.
    10-22-2019 03:25 PM

This is exactly what Google is hoping for.

I guess I really will never understand what's so amazing about Stock Android and the Camera that people are accepting mediocrity.

I love Apple, Samsung, OnePlus but it's not like I bought every phone they released.
    10-22-2019 03:39 PM

I guess I really will never understand what's so amazing about Stock Android and the Camera that people are accepting mediocrity.

I love Apple, Samsung, OnePlus but it's not like I bought every phone they released.
    That's something I like to do every year and it's upgrade my phone and I'm just a fan of the pixel like up regardless of the compromises. After every phone has compromises.
    10-22-2019 03:56 PM
    I personally hate Apple. I'd rather have no phone than an iPhone. Samsung lost me years ago by packing their phones with bloatware. They are still doing it to a lesser extent but they are still adding apps to the phone that people may or may not want that are impossible to remove unless you want to root your device and use ADB. That's what drivers me nuts about most of these phone manufacturers and why I like Android. There's nothing in any of the apps that Samsung makes you have in your phone that I would find useful and that I couldn't find a BETTER app on the app store. If I ever purchased a non Pixel phone again it'll be a OnePlus but Pixel would need to be out of production first...
    10-22-2019 04:04 PM
    I agree with you guys food points there. On another note so far regardless of the compromises each Google phone has had I have enjoyed my Nexus 6p, pixel XL, pixel 2 xl, pixel 3 xl & hopefully the pixel 4 xl won't be any different. If anything I see tons of improvements.
    Hey I've owned those exact phones too ๐Ÿ˜Ž. I went to the 6P from a Note 5 which had a bad charger.
    dmxjago likes this.
    10-22-2019 04:09 PM

I guess I really will never understand what's so amazing about Stock Android and the Camera that people are accepting "mediocrity" .

Good thing it's neither your money, your decision or your opinion that's shared by many who have a different view of what "mediocrity" is ๐Ÿ‘
    10-22-2019 06:36 PM
    I used to like HTC too. My first Android was the HTC Incredible. I switched to the Nexus phones about 10 years ago and now Pixel. I love them. Don't get me wrong Samsungs are good phones. They just aren't for me. I don't like their launchers. Too many duplicate apps (Samsung mail vs Gmail, etc.). I've heard it's changed now but they used to have like 30 garbage apps added in there. The one had 3 different channel changer apps. Who TF needs that?
    10-22-2019 08:25 PM
    I used to like HTC too. My first Android was the HTC Incredible. I switched to the Nexus phones about 10 years ago and now Pixel. I love them. Don't get me wrong Samsungs are good phones. They just aren't for me. I don't like their launchers. Too many duplicate apps (Samsung mail vs Gmail, etc.). I've heard it's changed now but they used to have like 30 garbage apps added in there. The one had 3 different channel changer apps. Who TF needs that?
    I loved my htc one phone. Boom boom sound.
    10-22-2019 08:27 PM
    I am def. curious to see users reporting battery life as people start to get their phones.
    qnet and Golurk like this.
    10-22-2019 08:49 PM

In the past stock Android just ran better from my experience. Think about the Iphone, it's stock IOS and always has been. Android is a different animal because it started out open source. Any manufacturer could do anything they wanted with it, and still do to some extent.

Now manufacturer's making phones with their UI on top of Android are much better. It also helps that stock Android is better, much better.
    Golurk likes this.
    10-22-2019 10:22 PM
    It's all perspective. To me, ordering stock Android is like ordering a pizza with only the toppings you want, whereas on other skinned devices you get it the way they want and have to eat it with the toppings they provide or - if they allow you - picking them off.

Basically the alternatives leave a bad taste in my mouth...

As to mediocrity, devil's advocate would assert the same of other handsets that don't offer the same level of security, longevity of support, improved AI, 90Hz displays, concierge service, safety features like crash detection, enhanced support for hearing impaired like voice transcription and live caption, etc.

Sure, the Pixels are absolutely lacking and mediocre in some ways - but so is every other handset. It all comes down to the buyer's personal needs and what they value most.
    Ben_70 and Golurk like this.
    10-22-2019 10:39 PM