Face Unlock is good but...

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
If apps don't adopt this tech it's going to be a deal breaker for me. I really hope app updates are around the corner to support it.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I am sure they will. Just like when fingerprint scanners were new -- more and more apps will update.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
If apps don't adopt this tech it's going to be a deal breaker for me. I really hope app updates are around the corner to support it.
Yeah it's up to the app developers to adapt. Just like any new tech it will take time. The important thing in my opinion is that Google for the tech out and now developers could leverage the feature and update their apps. We can't expect for tons of apps to support it right off the bat. Although maybe google should of partnered up with a few big names to have a few on launch day.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Yeah it's up to the app developers to adapt. Just like any new tech it will take time. The important thing in my opinion is that Google for the tech out and now developers could leverage the feature and update their apps. We can't expect for tons of apps to support it right off the bat. Although maybe google should of partnered up with a few big names to have a few on launch day.
Yeah really wish Google reached out to devs ahead of time to help implement it faster

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
If I understand it, there is a "biometric API" that covers both fingerprint and facial recognition. I may not understand this properly but I am under the impression that when an app updates to the latest version of this API, it includes face unlock. I think I read that it's been out a month? two? I also think that Google stated something about all new apps have to use it as of November.

Forgive me if I am misunderstanding. It seems almost too easy to adopt. That's why I may not have understood it.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
If I understand it, there is a "biometric API" that covers both fingerprint and facial recognition. I may not understand this properly but I am under the impression that when an app updates to the latest version of this API, it includes face unlock. I think I read that it's been out a month? two? I also think that Google stated something about all new apps have to use it as of November.

Forgive me if I am misunderstanding. It seems almost too easy to adopt. That's why I may not have understood it.

I sort of understood it that way also, but I'm not sure about it. I know when Samsung had the iris scanner it could be used with Samsung Pay, along with fingerprints.

Some of my banking apps just call it biometrics when registering in the past, on either a Iphone or Android. I guess they're trying to cover everything.

From my memory, it did take some time with some apps I used to adapt fingerprint scanning on Android when it first came out.

I'm glad Last pass announced that they will be support it, and it can't come too soon. This was the app I used a lot before fingerprints were accepted on my few banking & financial apps I use.

Last edited:

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
For me main app is LastPass and looks like from what I have heard LastPass supports Pixel face authentication. Others I'm not worried since I use autofill from LastPass.

So personally LastPass is the only app I care about.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

The API actually came out with Pie, but Google is making it a requirement with Android 10. Any developer that wants to update their app after November 1st has to support the API.

Of course, developers don't have to update their apps until they really want to, so it could still be a while for support.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
For me main app is LastPass and looks like from what I have heard LastPass supports Pixel face authentication. Others I'm not worried since I use autofill from LastPass.

So personally LastPass is the only app I care about.

Unfortunately, LastPass does not yet support it. The fingerprint setting is greyed out and that's it. They have announced that they will. I actually emailed them - just to poke a bit that it's something that's really wanted - and they sent me to this blog post:

https://blog.lastpass.com/2019/10/passwordless-authentication-with-googles-pixel-4.html/

I thought I was going to hate life having to use a password in LastPass because mine is long. I set up a PIN instead. It's actually not that bad to use. Of course, I don't access my banking apps a lot so I'm not really feeling it there.

I also emailed Chase, again, to poke. Let them know people want this. Their response was less reassuring:

Hello Paul,

We do not have an estimated timeframe at this point. We
appreciate your feedback, and are continually working to
improve our products and services to meet our customers'
needs.

We value our relationship with you and thank you for
choosing Chase. Please contact us anytime if you need
assistance.

Thank you,
Greg
Chase Email Servicing

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, LastPass does not yet support it. The fingerprint setting is greyed out and that's it. They have announced that they will. I actually emailed them - just to poke a bit that it's something that's really wanted - and they sent me to this blog post:

https://blog.lastpass.com/2019/10/passwordless-authentication-with-googles-pixel-4.html/

I thought I was going to hate life having to use a password in LastPass because mine is long. I set up a PIN instead. It's actually not that bad to use. Of course, I don't access my banking apps a lot so I'm not really feeling it there.

I also emailed Chase, again, to poke. Let them know people want this. Their response was less reassuring:

Hello Paul,

needs.

assistance.

Thank you,
Greg
Chase Email Servicing
Ah damn I saw the LastPass blog post but assumed they were already supporting it. Grr that's a bummer, yeah my LastPass master password is also long and complicated as it should be

Thanks, I'll probably use a pin on the LastPass app until then but hopefully they support it fast. C'mon Google you got to work with major app developers before launch and have the apps ready at launch. Apple is very successful in this and yes it's easier for developers since they have to worry about one phone/company/platform but still Apple does a good job from it's side.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Is it true that the face unlock is too sensitive and wakes just by glancing at it?

No, I would not describe it like that. You need to take an initial action to trigger the face unlock process.

When it's sitting untouched, it shows the time and date. When your hand enters the radar range as you reach to pick it up or lift it toward your face, a little lock appears at the top (same icon as Pixel 3). Now the face unlock sensors are active. If your face is near, it unlocks (your face is probably near since it's connected to the hand you reached with).

If it's sitting on a table and you lean your head over it, the face unlock sensors don't activate (you don't see the lock icon). It also seems like you can stick your face right over the phone - inches above - and it does not unlock. Somehow the radar knows the difference between your hand and face.

This is based on my one day of use. Subject to change.

trido#AC

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Here is a weird deal breaker for me.CONTACTS ONLY app(was a great app would send all calls that are NOT in your contacts to voice mail) seems to be pulled from google store.Developer just said have issues with Play store they are looking into AMAZON store.
Not sure what ISSUES could they have.I coming from Iphone IOS 13 will miss this with android UNless any uses any other app that auto silences all calls except contacts?Forgot know about pixels call screening but think phone still rings then you must tell it how to answer the spam calls?

nelamvr6

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Here is a weird deal breaker for me.CONTACTS ONLY app(was a great app would send all calls that are NOT in your contacts to voice mail) seems to be pulled from google store.Developer just said have issues with Play store they are looking into AMAZON store.
Not sure what ISSUES could they have.I coming from Iphone IOS 13 will miss this with android UNless any uses any other app that auto silences all calls except contacts?Forgot know about pixels call screening but think phone still rings then you must tell it how to answer the spam calls?

What has that got to do with the Pixel 4?

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Hello Paul,

needs.

assistance.

Thank you,
Greg
Chase Email Servicing
FYI - Looks like Last pass beta supports face unlock now.

Only part that sucks is waiting for Amazon to ship my phone still
3461ac8baa15ae6245d69bc08468b03f.jpg

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
I mean, Apple had app developers working on FaceID-compatible apps way before the iPhone X was released. My bank and clinic already had the FaceID authentication working when I received my iPhone X on release day. The fact that what, only 5 apps, work with face unlock right now is abysmal.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I mean, Apple had app developers working on FaceID-compatible apps way before the iPhone X was released. My bank and clinic already had the FaceID authentication working when I received my iPhone X on release day. The fact that what, only 5 apps, work with face unlock right now is abysmal.

Apple built the software for Face ID differently. Any app that was set up for Touch ID automatically worked with Face ID. Developers didn't have to add anything on their end. I still have apps that ask me if I want to turn on Touch ID the first time I log in to them on my XS Max. Just tap yes and Face ID automatically works.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800