So, HD Voice worked fine on my Pixel 2 XL with ATT.

I haven't gotten it to work yet on my Pixel 4 XL... I ordered it directly from Google and just dropped my Sim into it

Any idea?

PS
    VoLTE is toggled on.
    10-28-2019 06:38 PM
    It seems to work for me. LTE stays on while on a call. I did not do anything other than what you did.
    10-28-2019 06:46 PM
    So, HD Voice worked fine on my Pixel 2 XL with ATT.

I haven't gotten it to work yet on my Pixel 4 XL... I ordered it directly from Google and just dropped my Sim into it

Any idea?

PS
    VoLTE is toggled on.
    It's a good idea to contact AT&T and update your IMEI. You shouldn't really HAVE to but things happen.
    10-28-2019 06:50 PM
    I did the same as you. HD Voice and wifi calling work perfectly
    10-28-2019 06:52 PM
    VoLTE is AT&T HD Voice.
    10-28-2019 07:08 PM
    1901Madison likes this.
    10-28-2019 07:09 PM
    Yes, that is the setting that is toggled on for me as well... but still wouldn't work. A reboot of the phone seemed to fix though. A little flaky, but working now.
    Thanks for all of the replies!
    imma_rage_quit likes this.
    10-28-2019 08:16 PM
    How do you know it's working? I have VoLTE on. I happened to be check because some reporter complained about a lot of things with the 4 but said no HD voice was his deal-breaker (ZDnet I think, forgot).
    10-29-2019 01:38 AM
    When you make a call to someone else that has a phone capable of it it will say HD OM on the call screen...
    10-29-2019 05:14 AM
    Yes, I get an small "HD" icon on the call screen when I am connected to another party that also has HD Voice. I also saw the ZDnet article last night after we started discussing this topic.

I also verified that not only did I get the "HD" icon, but the other party could tell a difference in the call quality right away. When I made my test call, one of the first things they said was "that sounds a lot better!"

It is still strange to me that it didn't work right away as VoLTE was toggled on from the beginning, but at least it is working correctly now.
    imma_rage_quit and strikeIII like this.
    10-29-2019 06:38 AM
    Yes, I get an small "HD" icon on the call screen when I am connected to another party that also has HD Voice. I also saw the ZDnet article last night after we started discussing this topic.

I also verified that not only did I get the "HD" icon, but the other party could tell a difference in the call quality right away. When I made my test call, one of the first things they said was "that sounds a lot better!"

It is still strange to me that it didn't work right away as VoLTE was toggled on from the beginning, but at least it is working correctly now.
    Sometimes a reboot can kick in some carrier services after your device gets fully provisioned on AT&Ts network.
    10-29-2019 08:22 AM
    It's a known issue. AT&T doesn't support HD calling if you purchase an unlocked Pixel 4/Pixel 4 XL: https://www.zdnet.com/article/undoin...4xl-to-google/

"It turns out that AT&T doesn't support the Google Pixel 4 with HD Voice and Wi-Fi calling unless you buy your device directly from AT&T. It doesn't treat BYOD Pixel devices the same way as it does, say, iPhones."
    10-29-2019 06:30 PM
    Not true. I bought mine from Google directly and I've had HD Voice from day one. My P2 had it as well...
    10-29-2019 06:32 PM
    Mine is working fine now as well. Verified by others I've spoken with.

It was the same for my P2XL. both of the Pixels were bought from Google.
    10-29-2019 06:43 PM
    It's a known issue. AT&T doesn't support HD calling if you purchase an unlocked Pixel 4/Pixel 4 XL: https://www.zdnet.com/article/undoin...4xl-to-google/

"It turns out that AT&T doesn't support the Google Pixel 4 with HD Voice and Wi-Fi calling unless you buy your device directly from AT&T. It doesn't treat BYOD Pixel devices the same way as it does, say, iPhones."
    Yeah this is false. Got my Pixel 4 from Google and HD Voice and WiFi calling both works. ZDNet is trash.
    bhatech likes this.
    10-29-2019 06:54 PM
    Yeah this is false. Got my Pixel 4 from Google and HD Voice and WiFi calling both works. ZDNet is trash.
    Thrash article and people don't even owning the phone posting thrash articles. Nice combo
    strikeIII likes this.
    10-29-2019 07:52 PM

That may be one of the worst reviews I have ever read. A reviewer going on a rant about a topic he is completely wrong about is pretty funny though.
    10-29-2019 08:48 PM
    Ok. I have it. Here's photographic proof. I bought my 4XL on Amazon, unlocked. Call received from another AT&T user.

HD Voice on ATT-phone.jpg
    10-29-2019 10:28 PM
    Fake news. That "reviewer" doesn't know what he's talking about. In fact, the Pixel line is one of the few unlocked BYOD devices that AT&T actually supports with their "advanced calling services" which includes Wifi calling, HD Voice, and VoLTE. I have bought every Pixel unlocked from Google and have had no issues whatsoever.
    bhatech likes this.
    10-30-2019 12:03 PM
    So the ZDnet article may not actually be complete trash. Here's why...

My AT&T service is through my work so we have an AT&T Premier account. I happen to be one of the authorized people who have access to our account. My primary number I typically use an AT&T branded Note 10+ but I swap devices often. When I first got my Pixel 4 I just swapped the sim and everything worked (HD Voice and WiFi calling). Two days ago I swapped to my iPhone 11ProMax and with AT&T iPhones you have to use a different plan so I had to log into my Premier account and change my data plan. This morning decided to go back to my Pixel 4. Popped my sim in and logged into my Premier account to change my plan. The system recognized my IMEI as a Google Pixel 4 but kept giving me errors when trying to complete the process. I decided to call Premier support and she was able to get my Pixel 4 provisioned but she had to remove HD Voice and WiFi calling. Once I powered my device back on and everything was working she tried to add wifi calling and HD Voice back on but kept getting an error. When I tried to enable WiFi calling I got an error. She contacted their tech support and they stated that unlocked Google Pixels are not supported. So we provisioned my Note10+ again so I can get all my services back onto my account. Waited about an hour to make sure the provisioning completed. Swapped my SIM back into the Pixel 4 and HDVoice and WiFi calling are back enabled and verified the icons show when on a phone call.

So for those who say that they just swapped the SIM and everything works is true but once you have to make any changes to your account you may lose it. So if anyone is looking to buy a Pixel or any unlocked device and they're on AT&T buy a locked AT&T version if you want to avoid this or if you care about HD Voice and WiFi Calling.
    10-30-2019 01:49 PM
    So the ZDnet article may not actually be complete trash. Here's why...

My AT&T service is through my work so we have an AT&T Premier account. I happen to be one of the authorized people who have access to our account. My primary number I typically use an AT&T branded Note 10+ but I swap devices often. When I first got my Pixel 4 I just swapped the sim and everything worked (HD Voice and WiFi calling). Two days ago I swapped to my iPhone 11ProMax and with AT&T iPhones you have to use a different plan so I had to log into my Premier account and change my data plan. This morning decided to go back to my Pixel 4. Popped my sim in and logged into my Premier account to change my plan. The system recognized my IMEI as a Google Pixel 4 but kept giving me errors when trying to complete the process. I decided to call Premier support and she was able to get my Pixel 4 provisioned but she had to remove HD Voice and WiFi calling. Once I powered my device back on and everything was working she tried to add wifi calling and HD Voice back on but kept getting an error. When I tried to enable WiFi calling I got an error. She contacted their tech support and they stated that unlocked Google Pixels are not supported. So we provisioned my Note10+ again so I can get all my services back onto my account. Waited about an hour to make sure the provisioning completed. Swapped my SIM back into the Pixel 4 and HDVoice and WiFi calling are back enabled and verified the icons show when on a phone call.

So for those who say that they just swapped the SIM and everything works is true but once you have to make any changes to your account you may lose it. So if anyone is looking to buy a Pixel or any unlocked device and they're on AT&T buy a locked AT&T version if you want to avoid this or if you care about HD Voice and WiFi Calling.
    The problem is, this is an issue on the AT&T side of things and the way they provision devices. For some reason they still have an "iPhone data plan". I switch between my Note 10+, iPhone 11 ProMax, and Pixel a bit and its only a pain with AT&T. If you switch to the iPhone for a day or so the network will automatically provision your line for an iPhone. When you switch back to an Android device it will take a while but eventually it will detect your Android device and provision it back to a regular plan. In the meantime things like Mobile Hotspot, Visual Voicemail, and Video Calling will not work. AT&T and their hokey way of doing things is the problem. Never encountered this with T-Mobile or Verizon. Sadly, here in Texas, AT&T is kind of a necessity, especially in the rural areas of West Texas.
    NMCynthia likes this.
    10-30-2019 02:39 PM
    The problem is, this is an issue on the AT&T side of things and the way they provision devices. For some reason they still have an "iPhone data plan". I switch between my Note 10+, iPhone 11 ProMax, and Pixel a bit and its only a pain with AT&T. If you switch to the iPhone for a day or so the network will automatically provision your line for an iPhone. When you switch back to an Android device it will take a while but eventually it will detect your Android device and provision it back to a regular plan. In the meantime things like Mobile Hotspot, Visual Voicemail, and Video Calling will not work. AT&T and their hokey way of doing things is the problem. Never encountered this with T-Mobile or Verizon. Sadly, here in Texas, AT&T is kind of a necessity, especially in the rural areas of West Texas.
    Yeah it's how AT&T controls their service so they can squeeze every penny they can from their customers. If my work happen to take away my service I personally would not be going to AT&T. I'd go TMobile or probably give GoogleFi a try.
    aggie likes this.
    10-30-2019 02:51 PM