How's your screen protector? Which did you get?

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Now that people are getting the phone in hand, I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread like this.

If you use a screen protector, which style did you get? (full screen w/black frame, full screen clear, notched at the top, etc.)
What brand?
Do you like it?
Any problems with gestures or sensors?

I bought mine early on before any legitimate reviews hit. I needed one because my phone arrived day one. Just took a risk.

I got this one. It's okay. The occasional rainbow effect is annoying but it doesn't seem to happen to often. I wish there was one with adhesive all over the protector, not just the edges. I've had good luck with those.

[3-Pack] OEAGO Google Pixel 4 XL Screen Protector,Tempered Glass Screen Protector,Anti-Scratch, Anti-Fingerprint,Bubble Free Case Friendly for Google Pixel 4XL,Lifetime Replacement Warranty
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WJSBB8C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I ended up going with this and absolutely glad I did only $9.99, comes with 3, life time warranty, a face plate so you don't need effort to align and you can't miss align. And best part 0 bubbles.

LK [3 Pack] Screen Protector for Google Pixel 4 XL Tempered Glass (Easy Frame Installation) 9H Hardness Anti-Scratch with Lifetime Replacement Warranty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XMLTX8...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6681432

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I grabbed an IQ Shield liquid clear. I used to be a huge fan of glass... Until they all stopped making phones with flat panels. I got frustrated with halos, partial adhesive, and delaminating... So I have these a go on my last phone and it was a transformative event.

First off, the install... The last thin film I tried to install was in my wife's S7 a few years back. After ruining all three trying to get it on right, I said screw it... But these were a revelation. It was the first 'wet' install I've tried and it was night and day.

All you need for a perfect install is a) keep away the dust and b) take your time. The wet install means you have plenty of time to wiggle the thing into the perfect position. No more 'one and done' anxiety. Any bubbles are easily worked out and once it cures, it's on there... The edges won't peel up, nothing.

And the best thing is that the sucker heals itself. Plastic SPs had always started to show signs of wear pretty much right away...a sight scratch here, etc.. but even if you scratch this thing, it'll fade in few days. The last one I had on my 2XL was on for maybe 9 months and you could only see fine scratches if you held it up to a light.

Feel is also really good. The screen feels slightly soft-touch, with a faint smooth feeling drag that is quite nice. And being so thin, there is zero sensitivity loss.

I got the case friendly version, which leaves a small gap in coverage of the full glass, but it still covers more than the glass one I tried first. I have the full coverage coming as I think that the Google fabric case I have won't interfere at all.

Oh... The bottom... I hated... HATED feeling the lip of the glass sp when I was dragging up from the bottom. This is far less offensive... And I think will not even happen with the full coverage version.
674c507e89ece855aeee89e8bb0afd89.jpg

matyou98

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I used to be a screen protector maniac. The curved pixel 2xl glass made me forego the protector. Surprisingly my screen held up just fine. Made me confident when I got the pixel 3 xl that its screen would also be fine without a screen protector. Each device after a year had one or two light surface scratches that could only be seen when reflecting sunlight off the screen.

I only get tpu phone cases that have a raised edge to prevent the screen from hitting flat surfaces when dropped. Phone looks so much better with no protector in my opinion. I used to be OCD about the slightest scuff or scratch but when I don't know it's there unless I look for it, I'm now ok with that. I get both sides of the protector argument, I think the gorilla glass or equivalent glass that comes on phones these days is fairly resistant to scratching. My wife throws her phone in her purse with everything so her phone has a protector at all times.

ricflairwoo2

Oct 24, 2019
Visit site
I ended up going with this and absolutely glad I did only $9.99, comes with 3, life time warranty, a face plate so you don't need effort to align and you can't miss align. And best part 0 bubbles.

LK [3 Pack] Screen Protector for Google Pixel 4 XL Tempered Glass (Easy Frame Installation) 9H Hardness Anti-Scratch with Lifetime Replacement Warranty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XMLTX8...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6681624

I got the same brand. Love that it comes with a holder you put on top of the phone to insert the protector in seconds. I didn't wipe down my screen or anything first. I unwrapped my phone from the original packaging and immediately put the screen protector on.

ricflairwoo2

Oct 24, 2019
Visit site
I used to be a screen protector maniac. The curved pixel 2xl glass made me forego the protector. Surprisingly my screen held up just fine. Made me confident when I got the pixel 3 xl that its screen would also be fine without a screen protector. Each device after a year had one or two light surface scratches that could only be seen when reflecting sunlight off the screen.

I only get tpu phone cases that have a raised edge to prevent the screen from hitting flat surfaces when dropped. Phone looks so much better with no protector in my opinion. I used to be OCD about the slightest scuff or scratch but when I don't know it's there unless I look for it, I'm now ok with that. I get both sides of the protector argument, I think the gorilla glass or equivalent glass that comes on phones these days is fairly resistant to scratching. My wife throws her phone in her purse with everything so her phone has a protector at all times.

I did the same with my 2XL. But the fingerprint buildup disgusts me.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site

LK [3 Pack] Screen Protector for Google Pixel 4 XL Tempered Glass (Easy Frame Installation) 9H Hardness Anti-Scratch with Lifetime Replacement Warranty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XMLTX8...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6681692

Do you find that dust accumulates along the top edge, in the notch? Is the notch something you notice? Could you post a picture?

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Do you find that dust accumulates along the top edge, in the notch? Is the notch something you notice? Could you post a picture?
Like most screen protectors this one doesn't fully reach all the way around 100% and I think it's bc if it does the edges will be be lifted buy minimal. As for the dust it has not been 24 hrs yet since I installed it yesterday afternoon, but so far from what I could tell very little dust build up which I was able to just dust right off by wiping it with my shirt. I'm very happy with this so far but I'll report back.

nelamvr6

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I only buy screen protectors that come with an installation frame. After using one I never want to try to install another screen protector without one again. They make installation so simple.

The protector I got was the Pleson. Fits fine, wasn't too expensive, and you get three in the box, so when it comes time to replace it you already have spares on hand.

almath

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
This screen is so silky smooth, no screen protector. And it wipes clean without that swirl effect left over, I really like it.

BCWARE

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site

LK [3 Pack] Screen Protector for Google Pixel 4 XL Tempered Glass (Easy Frame Installation) 9H Hardness Anti-Scratch with Lifetime Replacement Warranty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XMLTX8...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6681829

This is the same one I got. Put it on my wife's with ease and she likes it, so that is all that matters. When my phone gets here I will put one mine. The frame is the best part. And I will have a third one in case of breakage.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
This is the same one I got. Put it on my wife's with ease and she likes it, so that is all that matters. When my phone gets here I will put one mine. The frame is the best part. And I will have a third one in case of breakage.
Agreed that's what I really liked.

cribble2k

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
I grabbed an IQ Shield liquid clear. I used to be a huge fan of glass... Until they all stopped making phones with flat panels. I got frustrated with halos, partial adhesive, and delaminating... So I have these a go on my last phone and it was a transformative event.

First off, the install... The last thin film I tried to install was in my wife's S7 a few years back. After ruining all three trying to get it on right, I said screw it... But these were a revelation. It was the first 'wet' install I've tried and it was night and day.

All you need for a perfect install is a) keep away the dust and b) take your time. The wet install means you have plenty of time to wiggle the thing into the perfect position. No more 'one and done' anxiety. Any bubbles are easily worked out and once it cures, it's on there... The edges won't peel up, nothing.

And the best thing is that the sucker heals itself. Plastic SPs had always started to show signs of wear pretty much right away...a sight scratch here, etc.. but even if you scratch this thing, it'll fade in few days. The last one I had on my 2XL was on for maybe 9 months and you could only see fine scratches if you held it up to a light.

Feel is also really good. The screen feels slightly soft-touch, with a faint smooth feeling drag that is quite nice. And being so thin, there is zero sensitivity loss.

I got the case friendly version, which leaves a small gap in coverage of the full glass, but it still covers more than the glass one I tried first. I have the full coverage coming as I think that the Google fabric case I have won't interfere at all.

Oh... The bottom... I hated... HATED feeling the lip of the glass sp when I was dragging up from the bottom. This is far less offensive... And I think will not even happen with the full coverage version.
674c507e89ece855aeee89e8bb0afd89.jpg
How did you get your lock screen to show in blue text like that?

Mine is white text on black background

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site

Wow. I haven't used a film protector in a long time. Maybe I need to revisit them.

Little frustrating that they aren't shipping free on Amazon, for the 4XL that is. I'm going to think about this. It's good to hear a positive review.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Wow. I haven't used a film protector in a long time. Maybe I need to revisit them.

Little frustrating that they aren't shipping free on Amazon, for the 4XL that is. I'm going to think about this. It's good to hear a positive review.
I got mine straight from iqs... Free shipping there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463