Can Google boost screen brightness via software?

eak1570

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Pick up the phone today from Best buy and I absolutely love the phone except the screen is dimmer than I thought even my 2XL is brighter.. I don't know what Google engineer accept this when they test out the phone I don't know that they lower the brightness for battery or can they release software update to boost the screen brightness?

When I compared to iPhone 11 pro or the Samsung phone..it look embarrassing..

Lobwedgephil

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Pick up the phone today from Best buy and I absolutely love the phone except the screen is dimmer than I thought even my 2XL is brighter.. I don't know what Google engineer accept this when they test out the phone I don't know that they lower the brightness for battery or can they release software update to boost the screen brightness?

Yeah it is a very nice display, but not close to as bright as Samsung or iPhone 11 Pro. Not really an issue for me, but very noticeable difference, especially in sunlight use.

almath

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Did you turn off ambient EQ? I didn't like the shift when that was on, I also like my brightness set in the high 90's so I'm ok..

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't get very bright when it's under direct sunlight compared to iPhone 11 and Samsung latest. The reason I have heard is due to the 90hz screen they can't have brightness like that.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
The OnePlus 7T and 7T Pro both have 90hz screens and their maximum brightness according to testing is significantly higher.
It doesn't get very bright when it's under direct sunlight compared to iPhone 11 and Samsung latest. The reason I have heard is due to the 90hz screen they can't have brightness like that.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yeah but they are no where near the Note 10 and iPhone 11 pro.
I don't know maybe through updates on 1+7pro but screen seems brighter then my Note 10+ when comparing next to each other full brightness but maybe in auto that's where Note gets higher brightness, also the volume from speakers is really really good I think from last update improved that

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Even if they could boost it they may not want to.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I don't know maybe through updates on 1+7pro but screen seems brighter then my Note 10+ when comparing next to each other full brightness but maybe in auto that's where Note gets higher brightness, also the volume from speakers is really really good I think from last update improved that
Interesting, I haven't tested manual brightness since I always keep on auto/adaptive brightness. From what I have experienced the Note 10 used to get crazy bright under sunlight and don't recall anything come close to that. If it's close to that then that's good news

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Interesting, I haven't tested manual brightness since I always keep on auto/adaptive brightness. From what I have experienced the Note 10 used to get crazy bright under sunlight and don't recall anything come close to that. If it's close to that then that's good news
Yeah manual 1+7pro looked brighter but I think if I remember correctly the Note 10 + brighter in auto brightness

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
If they had put a proper battery in the phone, they could have increased the brightness. After all, they are using Samsung displays in the XL, so they should be able to match the Samsung brightness at least.

But increasing the brightness would further complicate the problem in battery life.

imma_rage_quit

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
If they had put a proper battery in the phone, they could have increased the brightness. After all, they are using Samsung displays in the XL, so they should be able to match the Samsung brightness at least.

But increasing the brightness would further complicate the problem in battery life.
I see no issues with this battery...
3568b8d00ed2cfc0221b0caaefe4dcbc.jpg

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

That's not why their screens are dimmer

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
I see no issues with this battery...
3568b8d00ed2cfc0221b0caaefe4dcbc.jpg

That phone probably had brightness set at 1%. Screen usage does not mean squat, without knowing the brightness setting. Or by just saying left in 'auto brightness". As sitting outside or sitting near a window, auto brightness increases dramatically. If someone sitting inside away from lights, it obviously goes down and uses less battery.

claudiafields

Oct 14, 2019
Visit site
I don't know if they release an update for it. But I hope you will be able to get some console using the High Brightness Mode (HBM)app available in the Google Play store at least until the update is released. It needs root access and triggers brightness on devices with AMOLED screens

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
If they had put a proper battery in the phone, they could have increased the brightness.

Max brightness has more to do with the longevity of the panel, not the battery. Unlike LCD displays, a OLED panel ages at different rates. The different colors all have different life spans and as they age, they fade... Which accelerates as it gets closer to the end. Blue pixels have a much shorter life than the other colors, with red living the longest. And for all of them, how quickly they die is mostly a function of the amount of time they've been on and how bright they were over that span. And the first thing you'll notice is that the color appears to be draining away, slowly turning into a muted red mess.

So it becomes a balancing act... How much do they want to sacrifice longevity for visibility. Google has always been very conservative with their peak setting.

imma_rage_quit

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
That phone probably had brightness set at 1%. Screen usage does not mean squat, without knowing the brightness setting. Or by just saying left in 'auto brightness". As sitting outside or sitting near a window, auto brightness increases dramatically. If someone sitting inside away from lights, it obviously goes down and uses less battery.
Brightness was between 50%-75% that entire time. My desk is by a window so minimum brightness wouldn't be realistic lol. That being said I don't like my screen retina searing bright so it's definitely not as bright as some other here would have it set...

imma_rage_quit

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Here's what brightness is set at when I'm at my desk. Definitely not 1% lol
da13af8ef886da424de9609b395eae6e.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar