Pixle 4 + Black Friday

mellyf

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
I'd love to do an upgrade on ATT and get $400 off, but the article I read (maybe here on AC) stated it was unclear if upgrades would qualify.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Best Buy's black Friday ad is up. $200 off for the unlocked Pixel 4 plus an extra $50 with qualified activation. $400 off with Verizon, AT&T or Sprint.

Does this mean one can walk into a Best Buy and simply purchase at $200 off without any rigamarole about the service - no need to activate, upgrade, etc?

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Yes, that should be the way it works. You know how some sales people can be though.

With that, it's tempting... $200 off, probably get $350ish selling the 3 XL, nets it down to about $400 after taxes figure in. Pixel Slate deal is tempting too, though, as my 2012 Nexus 7 - while still running fine - is a bit long in the tooth.

Decisions, decisions...

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
For those that have gone the Best Buy route, a few questions. In the past I generally didn't look at BB because when I was looking for deals on an older phone (the Thunderbolt if you're wondering), BB's price was always around $100 higher than what I could get it for outright through Verizon. So at the time, them offering $100 off meant it was the same price as a non sale model at Verizon.

So after the BB black Friday leak dropped, I decided to check it out. When I went to BB's site, the price for each variant of the P4 & P4XL was $50 higher than through Google or the carriers, and the listings said they already had $50 off the usual price (so essentially $100 higher than Google or carriers.

So my questions are these.

Is that typical for BB?

Do they honor their price match and bring it down to the same price as Google and the carriers with that? (Which means if you don't shop around you end up paying $100 more than you would elsewhere).

Would the price match apply on a deal like this? (Otherwise the $200 off is actually less because of their higher non sale price)

It's not a huge deal, since Google's BF deal leaked and it's essentially the same as BB's. But I'd like to know for future reference if I should consider BB at all. Having more places to look for deals is always a good thing.

So what say you?

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
For those that have gone the Best Buy route, a few questions. In the past I generally didn't look at BB because when I was looking for deals on an older phone (the Thunderbolt if you're wondering), BB's price was always around $100 higher than what I could get it for outright through Verizon. So at the time, them offering $100 off meant it was the same price as a non sale model at Verizon.

So after the BB black Friday leak dropped, I decided to check it out. When I went to BB's site, the price for each variant of the P4 & P4XL was $50 higher than through Google or the carriers, and the listings said they already had $50 off the usual price (so essentially $100 higher than Google or carriers.

So my questions are these.

Is that typical for BB?

Do they honor their price match and bring it down to the same price as Google and the carriers with that? (Which means if you don't shop around you end up paying $100 more than you would elsewhere).

Would the price match apply on a deal like this? (Otherwise the $200 off is actually less because of their higher non sale price)

It's not a huge deal, since Google's BF deal leaked and it's essentially the same as BB's. But I'd like to know for future reference if I should consider BB at all. Having more places to look for deals is always a good thing.

So what say you?

I don’t know about carrier variants but the unlocked model are same price on Best Buy to google store, Amazon or anywhere else. You get some discount if you activate your unlocked model thru them but the discount is kind of negated since the carrier will charge activation fee. I only do the activation option if the discount is big enough that i still save money after activation charges. If not just buy without activation and swap my sim.

See screenshot $899 for base model unlocked 4 XL at Best Buy. Same price as everywhere else.

1e398879871f9ff1faf70298122a41d1.png

dsneedmd

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
If I want the P4 and a new Fi activation, do I have to go thru Google to get the best deal or can I go to Amazon or BB?

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I don’t know about carrier variants but the unlocked model are same price on Best Buy to google store, Amazon or anywhere else. You get some discount if you activate your unlocked model thru them but the discount is kind of negated since the carrier will charge activation fee. I only do the activation option if the discount is big enough that i still save money after activation charges. If not just buy without activation and swap my sim.

See screenshot $899 for base model unlocked 4 XL at Best Buy. Same price as everywhere else.

1e398879871f9ff1faf70298122a41d1.png

Sorry about that, had a brain fart. Note to self, don't post while medicated for a cold.

JJBetty7

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm going to be switching from Fi to T-mobile's over 55 plan and going from one line to two. Black Friday will be interesting for me because I usually buy my phone outright. I don't really want to do a 24 month credit but will if I can pay it off early. It looks like where I buy at a discount will be limited. Ugh. Also, this will be my first year buying an XL which worries me a bit but hopefully I'll get used to a big phone fairly quickly.

~Betty

dsneedmd

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Looks like Fi will have a $100 credit with the activation of a new Pixel on Black Friday. I'm wondering where to buy. Google or??

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Was checking out P4 at BB, didn't look like 90hz was even enabled, or I couldn't tell the difference between 60 and 90 in browser

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Was checking out P4 at BB, didn't look like 90hz was even enabled, or I couldn't tell the difference between 60 and 90 in browser
Was at Best Buy yesterday. Something here, if it was enabled, I noticed ZERO difference compared to my Note 10+.

I like it but don't like it enough to part with my Note 10+. Would like to have it for the camera but that's about it.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Was at Best Buy yesterday. Something here, if it was enabled, I noticed ZERO difference compared to my Note 10+.

I like it but don't like it enough to part with my Note 10+. Would like to have it for the camera but that's about it.
I never notice the difference as well compared to other phones. But I prefer pixel software and fast Android platform updates which is why pixel is always my main Android phone, the best camera for pictures is just a nice touch. I sold my Note 10 few weeks back but planning to pick up again during black Friday sale when it's $200 off. Just to keep it as one of my many back ups

I would have kept 7T instead of Note since I like OnePlus software better than one UI but wireless charging has become a must for me. I hope they add that in the next one.

mageus

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
For the Verizon deals:

1) Is there any way out of the upgrade fee?
The $40 upgrade fee almost cancels out any activation discount.
The fee is bogus, because I can swap to a BYOD phone on the website without any charge.

2) What happens if you cancel VZW?
Per Target: "If you cancel wireless service, remaining balance on device becomes due." ($300 GC)
It says nothing about returning the gift card, so I guess you just pay the balance on the phone and keep it. Good deal.
Per BB: "Upgrade any time after paying off the full balance on the device." ($400 off)
With BB, it depends on what they mean by 'full balance'. They may ask you to pay off the full retail price of the phone if you ditch early.

3) Does the BB deal give you a VZW (bootloader locked) phone or a bootloader unlocked phone?
I assume you get the VZW version.

I was waiting for a Pixel 3 128Gb deal, but no one carries it anymore. 3XL is too big for me. Should have done the recent the 50% off deal.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
For the Verizon deals:

1) Is there any way out of the upgrade fee?
The $40 upgrade fee almost cancels out any activation discount.
The fee is bogus, because I can swap to a BYOD phone on the website without any charge.

2) What happens if you cancel VZW?
Per Target: "If you cancel wireless service, remaining balance on device becomes due." ($300 GC)
It says nothing about returning the gift card, so I guess you just pay the balance on the phone and keep it. Good deal.
Per BB: "Upgrade any time after paying off the full balance on the device." ($400 off)
With BB, it depends on what they mean by 'full balance'. They may ask you to pay off the full retail price of the phone if you ditch early.

3) Does the BB deal give you a VZW (bootloader locked) phone or a bootloader unlocked phone?
I assume you get the VZW version.

I was waiting for a Pixel 3 128Gb deal, but no one carries it anymore. 3XL is too big for me. Should have done the recent the 50% off deal.
For the upgrade fee, there isn't a way out of it if the best buy or Target system goes thru the upgrade process on your account. Unless you have some kind of corporate or military or something like that which waives activation fees (don't know if it does that but just giving an example).

As far as paying off, the best buy $400 off should take the 400 off and the remaining balance gets spread over 24 months via Verizon. It's not the usual bill credit bull**** over 24 months that carriers do. So if you pay early you are good to go. That's how it was last year on the black Friday best buy deal on Verizon version. Not sure about Target and if best buy will do similar thing this year.

Finally, yes you will be getting the Verizon bootloader locked version. If you want the bootloader unlockable version then you have to go the unlocked model route which has $200 off.

mageus

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Finally, yes you will be getting the Verizon bootloader locked version. If you want the bootloader unlockable version then you have to go the unlocked model route which has $200 off.

Thanx for the quick response.

I haven't found the need to root the Pixel 2. But, with all the issues with the Pixel 4 (like the decreased brightness), it may be useful.
That being said, at $400 off the Pixel 4, a Pixel 3 is not much cheaper. (Neither is a 3a)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87