Nov. 1 All Biometric Authentication Must Include Face Unlock

ricflairwoo2

Oct 24, 2019
Visit site
https://chromeunboxed.com/pixel-4-xl-reasons-to-buy/

Lack of a fingerprint reader was a concern as well. With many of the apps I use leveraging this form of biometric authentication, I thought it would be months before Android app developers actually got around to adding face unlock since there’s only one Android phone on the market with it. Google surprised me here, too, and said that as of Nov. 1 all app that utilize biometric authentication must include face unlock in their next update. So that won’t be a concern for long either.

Google laying down the law.

Lobwedgephil

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully this is a big push for more support, which is badly needed. But it is very easy for developers to get around this without adding support.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Guess what, it's November 3rd and I've gotten plenty of updates since the 1st from big name apps with no Face Unlock support. Hope it starts to ramp up soon.

ricflairwoo2

Oct 24, 2019
Visit site
Guess what, it's November 3rd and I've gotten plenty of updates since the 1st from big name apps with no Face Unlock support. Hope it starts to ramp up soon.

Not sure what apps you are referencing. I checked all of my credit card (Citibank, Chase, USAA) apps and banking app that used the fingerprint reader which equates to 4 total. None of them have been updated since either 20 September or 12 October. I think the updates will roll out together in the next few weeks.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Not sure what apps you are referencing. I checked all of my credit card (Citibank, Chase, USAA) apps and banking app that used the fingerprint reader which equates to 4 total. None of them have been updated since either 20 September or 12 October. I think the updates will roll out together in the next few weeks.

Citi app has had face unlock since soon after the Pixel 4 release. It's a little odd because it tells you to use your fingerprint even though it scans your face but it works.

cert15z

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Citi app has had face unlock since soon after the Pixel 4 release. It's a little odd because it tells you to use your fingerprint even though it scans your face but it works.

I just tried it. Works great, but it does say fingerprint.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Google is losing its way. Android has always been about OPTIONS, not forcing users or app developers to do it "My way or the Highway". They should have kept fingerprint scanning and added face unlock. Not take that away and force everyone else to face unlock.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Google is losing its way. Android has always been about OPTIONS, not forcing users or app developers to do it "My way or the Highway". They should have kept fingerprint scanning and added face unlock. Not take that away and force everyone else to face unlock.

I think you're mixing up Google's hardware and software decisions. Android IS still about options - and in this case, about adding the option for users for face unlock which provides more options, not less. FPS support isn't in any way being removed from Android, though the specific OEM hardware of the Pixel doesn't include it (much to my and many others' disappointment).

As to the developers, Google has always had a catalog of evolving rules and mandates concerning apps that developers must meet to allow publication on Play Store, so this is nothing new in that sense.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I think you're mixing up Google's hardware and software decisions. Android IS still about options - and in this case, about adding the option for users for face unlock which provides more options, not less. FPS support isn't in any way being removed from Android, though the specific OEM hardware of the Pixel doesn't include it (much to my and many others' disappointment).

As to the developers, Google has always had a catalog of evolving rules and mandates concerning apps that developers must meet to allow publication on Play Store, so this is nothing new in that sense.
I think he really has it in for Google this year lol

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I think he really has it in for Google this year lol

I think I'm scheduled to board the bashing train in either 2023 or 2024, but can't find the email with the reservation details. Meanwhile I'll just go with what my opinion tells me instead of everyone else's.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Well said, I was puzzled by the removing options part in Android. All they are doing is streamlining the API so that irrespective of what biometric authentication you have fingerprint or face or both, it'll work. What biometric are present depends on the hardware but they want to make sure apps are developed against the biometric API so that the actual hardware is abstracted from the app.

Last edited:

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
https://chromeunboxed.com/pixel-4-xl-reasons-to-buy/

Lack of a fingerprint reader was a concern as well. With many of the apps I use leveraging this form of biometric authentication, I thought it would be months before Android app developers actually got around to adding face unlock since there’s only one Android phone on the market with it. Google surprised me here, too, and said that as of Nov. 1 all app that utilize biometric authentication must include face unlock in their next update. So that won’t be a concern for long either.

Google laying down the law.
Yeah I heard that as well. That's great news :)

ricflairwoo2

Oct 24, 2019
Visit site

I don't have a normal Citi card. It's for government travel use only. The app and services are completely different.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
That's not what is happening. They've deprecated the old API that print sensors used, replacing it with a far more robust API that eliminates a lot of the development effort to implement. It INCLUDES finger print scanning along with face unlock (and other biometrics based systems)....

So they are replacing a limited, difficult to use and develop API with one that is flexible, standardized and extremely easy to implement.

There is zero downside here... None.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay