12-08-2019 07:10 PM
179 1234 ...
tools
    @DJM626,
    You're averaging 5.5 hrs of SOT?? Can you talk a little about the setup you have?? Dark theme everywhere? Bluetooth? WiFi?
    I had even gone as far as disabling NFC, account sync, and force stopping most apps that I wasn't regularly using.

It's too late for me as I returned it already but really curious and perhaps it could help others too.
    Not the person you asked but I was using dark mode and everything on by default. I don't disable anything since I don't like buying phones and disabling features. Was getting around 5 hrs SOT with smaller P4. Anyway I'm now on 4 XL since the size wasn't that bad with a slim case and I'll take the additional battery life.
    11-04-2019 07:34 PM
    Another thread needlessly spiraling out of control....lol.Even my iPhone 11 pro max owning brother took the opportunity to ask why Google screwed this up so bad. I love the XL. Spiral on...the threads and trolls will keep coming.
    11-04-2019 11:18 PM
    I've been on the Pixel 4 since Saturday and I am averaging about 5.5 hours of time. Plenty for me. Coming from the original pixel that had to be charged 3 or 4 times a day, this is a blessing. I also invested in a power bank from Anker which can recharge my phone several times. Not a power user here by any means but this phone meets my expectations. Sure, I would have loved to have seen a bigger battery in the phone as well, and could have opted for the XL but as a guy I don't feel like toting something that size around. Like to use my phones one handed and certainly can't do that with the larger one. I will sacrifice batter life for a phone that is comfortable to me, plus I am around chargers and outlets all day long at work to really worry about it.

Will probably keep this phone for a year and hope that next year if Google really wants to copy Apple, they include a larger battery in the smaller model. Just because certain people choose to use a smaller phone should not mean that we have to suffer because of our choice. Battery life should be equally as good in the smaller model. Happy about everything about this phone so far. Sure Google could have done some things better but every phone has its shortcomings. There is no perfect phone out there yet. Don't kid yourselves LOL
    Thank you for that report! I want to get the regular P4, not the XL, because I have small, female, Rheumatoid Arthritis affected hands. I don't need a 2 handed phone, as I already need 2 hands to use the P2. I keep reading horrific reports, and keep thinking that even though the battery is small, there is probably stuff going on behing the scene to make this work. You support that theory! Yeah!! My contract will be up at Christmas, and I will buy a new P4 at that time.
    11-04-2019 11:42 PM
    I wonder -- is it a lot worse than the Pixels 1, 2, and 3? (The non-XL versions.)
    I have a pixel 1 I picked up about a year and a half ago for $325 brand new, and ever since new I've never been able to kill it in a day, and some days I'm on the phone all day using a Bluetooth earpiece, with wifi scanning on, Bluetooth scanning on, high location accuracy on, NFC on.... basically all default settings. The only thing I don't do is have a lot of screen on time. This is a regular pixel 1 not the XL. It sounds to me like the regular pixel 4 is worse than the regular 1 in battery life..... not sure how it would stack up to a regular 2 or 3. From the numbers though it sounds like the regular 4 has the smallest battery of all 4 generations, and one of the biggest screens along with the highest refresh rate. Not the best combination for good battery life :O
    11-05-2019 12:22 AM
    I wonder -- is it a lot worse than the Pixels 1, 2, and 3? (The non-XL versions.)
    I'm still using a pixel 2(non xl)and find even after 2 years I can easily go all day with power leftover, no problem. It's kind of a shame they skimped on the P4's battery. Yet one more reason I won't be getting one.
    11-05-2019 12:30 AM
    My 4 is fine. Get a little more than my 3.
    11-05-2019 02:43 AM
    This really makes Pixel 4 user disappointed.
    11-05-2019 03:01 AM
    Lots of people saying 4's battery is terrible. Few ones saying it's, actually, ok. I cannot recall anybody saying it's great.

Definitely not a good thing, at all.

At least we already know what Google will work to make a lot better in Pixel 5.
    11-05-2019 03:08 AM
    It's so entertaining to see how some people can be so dramatic
    11-05-2019 04:47 AM
    Another thread needlessly spiraling out of control....lol.Even my iPhone 11 pro max owning brother took the opportunity to ask why Google screwed this up so bad. I love the XL. Spiral on...the threads and trolls will keep coming.
    I think the concern is more for the smaller Pixel. The XL should more than adequate for the average person, however making a statement like I am leaves us prone to being called out as defending Google or being called Fanboy. I elected to skip the 4XL, not because it's inadequate. I simply elected to stay with what I have. I'm looking forward to seeing what the 5 brings.
    brosko likes this.
    11-05-2019 05:26 AM
    It's so entertaining to see how some people can be so dramatic
    Entertaining isn't what comes to mind but I guess I'm just a victim of the amount of hours I spend here.
    ezdoit likes this.
    11-05-2019 05:29 AM
    Entertaining isn't what comes to mind but I guess I'm just a victim of the amount of hours I spend here.
    "entertaining" wasn't the 1st word to pop into my mind either.
    11-05-2019 06:31 AM
    Small Pixel 4 here too, getting about 5 hours screen on time with my usage. I don't go hard core with battery optimization, I have 90hz forced on. However I do use dark mode and wifi whenever possible. Other than that I just enjoy the phone.
    hub1 and dsignori like this.
    11-05-2019 10:17 AM
    Instead of posting to the forum and everybody picking a side, rather it's bashing other complaining.....how about we all call Google and complain. This phone should never have been made. There should have been only an XL starting with 128GB's.
    11-05-2019 10:30 AM
    I know battery size isn't everything but the last phone I bought with a battery below 3000mah was my S3 in 2012.

Not sure what Google was thinking with this.
    11-05-2019 10:35 AM
    Instead of posting to the forum and everybody picking a side, rather it's bashing other complaining.....how about we all call Google and complain. This phone should never have been made. There should have been only an XL starting with 128GB's.
    Speak for yourself. My battery life with my small Pixel 4 is totally fine for my usage and is slightly better than my Pixel 3. If the XL was the only option I wouldn't have bought it. Not everyone wants a phablet.
    mbxx likes this.
    11-05-2019 10:41 AM
    how about we all call Google and complain.
    almath likes this.
    11-05-2019 10:45 AM
    I agree with the suggestion to give feedback to Google. I'm sure they already know the sentiments of reviewers, but the more feedback they get from consumers, the more likely they are to change things for future phones.
    11-05-2019 10:54 AM
    I'm all for providing feedback but not sure who the proper person to call would be. Whether or not Google should have made the device is a financial decision for Google.
    11-05-2019 10:58 AM
    Google is going to continue to make what they want to make, and we as consumers will either buy it or not.
    11-05-2019 11:13 AM
    I'm all for providing feedback but not sure who the proper person to call would be. Whether or not Google should have made the device is a financial decision for Google.
    I'd just use the feedback option in the system settings (which means it'd be actual owners of the phone with firsthand experience, rather than nonusers who are only reading what others write). Sure, you won't get a personalized response, and I'm sure most people think they'll be ignored, but if the alternative is just to gripe, what's there to lose?
    ezdoit and J Dubbs like this.
    11-05-2019 11:26 AM
    When I sold lightbulbs people would ask "how long will this bulb last" I told them "forever if you never turn it on" Google is doing exactly this with their "use your phone less" campaign. They also made the screen half as bright as others out there. So they know the battery is too small.
    11-05-2019 01:54 PM
    When I sold lightbulbs people would ask "how long will this bulb last" I told them "forever if you never turn it on" Google is doing exactly this with their "use your phone less" campaign. They also made the screen half as bright as others out there. So they know the battery is too small.
    Too your last point, Pixels screen didn't suddenly become dimmer. I think the dimmer screen and smaller are mutually exclusive.
    11-05-2019 02:28 PM
    Too your last point, Pixels screen didn't suddenly become dimmer. I think the dimmer screen and smaller are mutually exclusive.
    I think the choice to have a dimmer screen is directly related to the small battery, which is probably related to manufacturing cost and size, but also I think they're confident in software.
    11-05-2019 03:04 PM
    Average person uses about 3h SOT per day, for which the 4 XL is far, far more than adequate, and for which the 4 is, if barely, sufficient, and a complete non-issue for people who are not either unable to connect a charger when at work or in the car, or who are not morally offended by the concept that they should be so disrepected as to be put in such a situation as to deal with such a horrific inconvenience.

We are not the average users. The thread title might serve decently well for many here, but it is about as applicable to the typical person as telling them not to buy the small popcorn that normally gets them through a movie because they might need the massive bucket.
    11-05-2019 03:40 PM
179 1234 ...