12-08-2019 07:10 PM
179 12345 ...
tools
    Average person uses about 3h SOT per day, for which the 4 XL is far, far more than adequate, and for which the 4 is, if barely, sufficient, and a complete non-issue for people who are not either unable to connect a charger when at work or in the car, or who are not morally offended by the concept that they should be so disrepected as to be put in such a situation as to deal with such a horrific inconvenience.

We are not the average users. The thread title might serve decently well for many here, but it is about as applicable to the typical person as telling them not to buy the small popcorn that normally gets them through a movie because they might need the massive bucket.
    Yes there is some truth to this but really... 3hrs SOT is not much no matter how you look at it... and when I says 3 hrs, actually being generous..if you're outside and have to have the brightness more than half way.. then it's gonna be in the 2 range! I even did the WhatsApp web connect so I don't keep the screen on for responding to WhatsApp messages and the battery life is till that abysmal! Feel like the XL battery life is more average and acceptable but the regular Pixel 4 is just not adequate even for basic use. I called Google support to see if I somehow got a bad unit and they had me look around the settings and did remote control into the phone (pretty cool how that worked) and said everything seemed fine... The rep was finally kinda admitting that the battery life on the P4 sucks.
    11-05-2019 03:52 PM
    I think the choice to have a dimmer screen is directly related to the small battery, which is probably related to manufacturing cost and size, but also I think they're confident in software.
    What I'm trying to point out is their screens didn't change suddenly due to a smaller battery. They were always dimmer than some of the competition.
    11-05-2019 04:00 PM
    Average person uses about 3h SOT per day, for which the 4 XL is far, far more than adequate, and for which the 4 is, if barely, sufficient, and a complete non-issue for people who are not either unable to connect a charger when at work or in the car, or who are not morally offended by the concept that they should be so disrepected as to be put in such a situation as to deal with such a horrific inconvenience.

We are not the average users. The thread title might serve decently well for many here, but it is about as applicable to the typical person as telling them not to buy the small popcorn that normally gets them through a movie because they might need the massive bucket.
    But the massive bucket comes with free refills! DO NOT BUY the Pixel 4 if you care at all about battery life!!!-gyivv2rlfpwzu.jpg
    11-05-2019 04:03 PM
    I guess the whole issue is that a phone with OK, average, acceptable-for-most-users battery life should come with an OK, average, acceptable price.
    dsignori, C5Longhorn and J Dubbs like this.
    11-05-2019 05:59 PM
    Pixel 4 forum in a nutshell !!
    almath likes this.
    11-05-2019 06:03 PM
    I mean, all the reviewers said this.
    11-05-2019 06:07 PM
    I mean, all the reviewers said this.
    Who said what?
    11-05-2019 07:07 PM
    Just saw another review.....everyday makes it harder and harder to even consider P4 over P3 even if you have money to waste XL is too big for me, and even that only offers avg battery life.
    Strange , curious to know what Google did to get unfavourable reviews from the usual YouTube influencers. They normally give good reviews when given a free phone .
    11-05-2019 07:11 PM
    Strange , curious to know what Google did to get unfavourable reviews from the usual YouTube influencers. They normally give good reviews when given a free phone .
    I would hate to think they are favorable simply because it's free. Having said that I can imagine reviewers going soft in order to get future devices.
    11-05-2019 07:29 PM
    Then again, everyone loves watching a trainwreck. Snarky hyperbolic criticism gets eyeballs. That's why I prefer watching Alex Hong's reviews -- he's much more even-keeled.
    bhatech and Laura Knotek like this.
    11-05-2019 07:44 PM
    My battery life is awesome compared to the Note 9 I just came frome.
    11-05-2019 07:45 PM
    how about we all call Google and complain.
    Good luck with that.
    11-05-2019 08:12 PM
    Then again, everyone loves watching a trainwreck. Snarky hyperbolic criticism gets eyeballs. That's why I prefer watching Alex Hong's reviews -- he's much more even-keeled.
    Or... I could just be .. possibly... that most of those negative reviewers actually didn’t like the Pixel 4.

You know , Occam’s Razor and all.
    11-05-2019 10:06 PM
    Or... I could just be .. possibly... that most of those negative reviewers actually didn’t like the Pixel 4.

I'll bet you made up your own mind without the reviewers. I know I did.... I'm just not impressed enough to buy one based on what I already own. I don't think it's a bad device but it's certainly not for speckmeisters or people who just have to have a big battery. The money part I don't care about, but I could see how someone might feel cheated paying big bucks and feeling they didn't get much to talk about Especially those that can't afford to upgrade frequently. They might rightly want their money's worth.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    11-05-2019 10:27 PM
    I'll bet you made up your own mind without the reviewers. I know I did.... I'm just not impressed enough to buy one based on what I already own. I don't think it's a bad device but it's certainly not for speckmeisters or people who just have to have a big battery. The money part I don't care about, but I could see how someone might feel cheated paying big bucks and feeling they didn't get much to talk about Especially those that can't afford to upgrade frequently. They might rightly want their money's worth.
    Agreed. And I suspect many here also made up their minds (for or against) without reviewers. I just find it somewhat of a understandable defense mechanism for folks who bought and enjoy their phones to now say previously trusted reviewers are suddenly swayed, paid, or otherwise have weird motives to publish a negative review. Something tells me if these were positive reviews that we wouldn’t be hearing how untrusted they all should be.

I am very glad that many owners seem happy overall (especially with the XL). In the end, that’s all that matters.
    11-05-2019 10:41 PM

Yes, I'm sure that's the case -- they have valid points they're making. My point is that sometimes there's also tendency for reviewers like these to ramp up the rhetoric because everyone else is.
    dsignori likes this.
    11-05-2019 10:44 PM
    Yes, I'm sure that's the case -- they have valid points they're making. My point is that sometimes there's also tendency for reviewers like these to ramp up the rhetoric because everyone else is.
    Very true. There does seem to be a fair bit of that going around as well.
    11-05-2019 10:46 PM
    Good luck with that.
    When enough people complained, Google gave away free Pixels last time that's how I got my Pixel 2XL and paid zero for it
    11-05-2019 11:09 PM
    Instead of posting to the forum and everybody picking a side, rather it's bashing other complaining.....how about we all call Google and complain. This phone should never have been made. There should have been only an XL starting with 128GB's.
    That's fine if you like larger phones, I don't. I had the 6p and while it was nice having such a large screen, trying to use it one handed (for me) was not worth it. They didn't make the smaller Pixel just to have a slightly cheaper device, they did so because not everyone wants a phone with a mega screen.
    11-06-2019 12:50 AM
    Agreed. And I suspect many here also made up their minds (for or against) without reviewers. I just find it somewhat of a understandable defense mechanism for folks who bought and enjoy their phones to now say previously trusted reviewers are suddenly swayed, paid, or otherwise have weird motives to publish a negative review. Something tells me if these were positive reviews that we wouldn’t be hearing how untrusted they all should be.

I am very glad that many owners seem happy overall (especially with the XL). In the end, that’s all that matters.
    Yeah. .. it doesn't surprise me
    11-06-2019 05:35 AM
    When enough people complained, Google gave away free Pixels last time that's how I got my Pixel 2XL and paid zero for it
    I'm not saying it didn't happen, but it doesn't ring a bell.
    11-06-2019 05:38 AM
    I'm not saying it didn't happen, but it doesn't ring a bell.
    I forgot which Pixel was actually free, Pixel 1 or Pixel 2. I didn't pay for both, but one of them was shipped as a replacement to previous model. That deal lasted like a month until Google realized they will have to ship free phones to everyone and they killed it
    11-06-2019 06:17 AM
    I started a thread from the mindset of a reviewer. https://forums.androidcentral.com/go...ml#post6685529

I think because I was the OP many read all of the comments below and did not read the original.

So 3-4 days is not enough time to review anything and when folks receive a phone after an event and a week or less later they write or YouTube a "comprehensive" review is kind of ridiculous. Everyone has the right to like or dislike whatever they want and reviewers are no different. So if we begin to peel away the credible comments from the one's that lack credibility, the list of hater's becomes much smaller. The majority of the hater's in this Pixel 4/XL do not even own the device, I would say that accounts for 90% or more of the posters here, they have zero credibility. Yes you can have an opinion on something you don't own, but it is only based on subjective opinion's you have read. After reviewer's only testing for a few days, we are left with probably less than 5% real world credibility.

As far as the money spent, if I compare like iPhones, 64gb TOTL iPhone 11 Pro Max, because I own a 64gb Pixel 4 XL I paid $899 and the exact same storage iPhone would have cost $1099. So I have the TOTL phone made by Google, same storage for $200 less than the comparable iPhone 11 Pro Max. We could debate all of the additional stuff I would receive for my $200. The fact remains 1) it is Apple, I prefer Google's ecosystem 2) I don't want to spend $200 more. I bought what I wanted.

It shouldn't really matter, their is no "best", best is subjective. No one here knows me and how I spend my money should really be of no concern. Society today has become unhappy and never satisfied with anything. It is a really bad trait of the current generation.

To recap...most of the opinions here lack real world credibility. Read, research and decide what is right for you. I enjoyed my S10+ while I had it, it is a great handset. I paid more for it than I did my Pixel. I have no brand loyalty, I bought what I bought, if you want Android, have the money and want every feature under the sun including the kitchen sink, buy Samsung. If you want to be part of the Apple ecosystem buy Apple. If OnePlus is more to your liking buy it. If tomorrow the Pixel 4 XL doesn't work for me I will buy something else. Maybe a Jitterbug?
    hub1 likes this.
    11-06-2019 07:03 AM
    I forgot which Pixel was actually free, Pixel 1 or Pixel 2. I didn't pay for both, but one of them was shipped as a replacement to previous model. That deal lasted like a month until Google realized they will have to ship free phones to everyone and they killed it
    I still don't understand why you or others got free ones but that's ok.
    11-06-2019 08:54 AM
    I still don't understand why you or others got free ones but that's ok.
    They briefly provided the Pixel XL as warranty replacement for some Nexus 6P devices.
    11-06-2019 09:21 AM
179 12345 ...