I'm happy with my 4 xl

mck2018

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
With all the negative reviews/threads surrounding this phone I felt i should do my part and stop by to mention how much i am enjoying this phone.

I have always used Android phones, I owned the first Pixel XL on Verizon when it came out. I never planned on buying the Pixel, I was kind of forced into it with the exploding Note 7 event. I wasn't too thrilled at first, I had been using the Note phones for the past couple years and had grown accustom to their displays/s pens/ features etc, and the pixel seemed like a step down the ladder. I was wrong, and 2 years later when I decided to switch from Verizon to Sprint (Verizon was getting too expensive for my taste) I realized that putting down the Pixel was going to be very hard to do.

I went to the Note 8 and then to the S10+, both are great phones but neither offered what I wanted and that was a "pure google" experience. The first thing I did on those phones was install Nova and do the best I could to make everything operate like stock android. I could come close, but some things you just couldn't change without rooting the phone. When I found out that Sprint was going to start selling the Pixel 4xl I knew right away that I would be trading my s10+ in for the 4 xl.

One week in and I am extremely satisfied. The cameras are great (missing the wide angle just a little bit), the battery life is comparable to my S10+, the gesture navigation is great (as opposed to the 3 button navigation), the phone feels more solid too. I guess I'm not that upset about the missing fingerprint sensor because I had to go through that breakup from the Note 8 to the S10+ ( I was not a fan of the ultrasonic FPS) and the face unlock on the 4xl works great.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to let people know that some of us are enjoying the new Pixel phones.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
With all the negative reviews/threads surrounding this phone I felt i should do my part and stop by to mention how much i am enjoying this phone.

I have always used Android phones, I owned the first Pixel XL on Verizon when it came out. I never planned on buying the Pixel, I was kind of forced into it with the exploding Note 7 event. I wasn't too thrilled at first, I had been using the Note phones for the past couple years and had grown accustom to their displays/s pens/ features etc, and the pixel seemed like a step down the ladder. I was wrong, and 2 years later when I decided to switch from Verizon to Sprint (Verizon was getting too expensive for my taste) I realized that putting down the Pixel was going to be very hard to do.

I went to the Note 8 and then to the S10+, both are great phones but neither offered what I wanted and that was a "pure google" experience. The first thing I did on those phones was install Nova and do the best I could to make everything operate like stock android. I could come close, but some things you just couldn't change without rooting the phone. When I found out that Sprint was going to start selling the Pixel 4xl I knew right away that I would be trading my s10+ in for the 4 xl.

One week in and I am extremely satisfied. The cameras are great (missing the wide angle just a little bit), the battery life is comparable to my S10+, the gesture navigation is great (as opposed to the 3 button navigation), the phone feels more solid too. I guess I'm not that upset about the missing fingerprint sensor because I had to go through that breakup from the Note 8 to the S10+ ( I was not a fan of the ultrasonic FPS) and the face unlock on the 4xl works great.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to let people know that some of us are enjoying the new Pixel phones.
I feel the same way as you. Ever since I got the Nexus 6p and experienced stick Android since then I upgraded every year to the pixel XL, pixel 2 xl, pixel 3 XL and now the pixel 4 XL. The way things are going I can see myself continuing to stick with Google and the pixel line up. I enjoy it and my XL 4 is averaging 6hours to 6hrs and 40 mins with about 5-10% left.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
ditto. The Pixel 4 XL is an exceptional device that is not perfect, but probably the best android device out there.
I'm not saying the Pixel 4XL is a bad device in any way, however I think it's a bit of a stretch to suggest it's probably the best Android device out there. I love Pixels but someone would have to convince me that it's true.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm not saying the Pixel 4XL is a bad device in any way, however I think it's a bit of a stretch to suggest it's probably the best Android device out there. I love Pixels but someone would have to convince me that it's true.
There is probably no best device for everyone. I love Samsung phones but they can never be MY main phone over iPhone or Pixel because I want quick platform updates. But I still buy Samsung phones and like them but can never be my main device.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
There is probably no best device for everyone. I love Samsung phones but they can never be MY main phone over iPhone or Pixel because I want quick platform updates. But I still buy Samsung phones and like them but can never be my main device.
Exactly.... It's a personal choice. Samsung is doing pretty good right now with monthly updates. System updates look promising but it will take a bigger effort to bring them up to Google Speed.

subguy812

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site

The trouble is it doesn't really matter who believes it. Folks have a real difficult time deciphering subjectivity. Best, I am not sure what that means. There is no best it is all opinion.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The trouble is it doesn't really matter who believes it. Folks have a real difficult time deciphering subjectivity. Best, I am not sure what that means. There is no best it is all opinion.
You're correct but you don't need me to tell you that.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
It's the best blend of software and hardware out there because the phone experience is the sum of those two parts.
I can't say that it isn't, but I can't say that it is either. That's all opinion and it's a great device but not everyone feels that way. A lot of people feel it falls short on hardware from what I'm reading here, there and everywhere. In the end what I think, or anyone else thinks won't matter to you because you're happy from what I'm hearing. If someone asks me what I think because they're undecided, I would have to look carefully at what their hardware needs are and compare with some other devices because that's where many feel it falls short.... and the other issue is the price. Some have high expectations when they're dropping close to a G note or higher.
Just things to consider.

John Oliver1

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I love my Pixel 4 XL. I have only had it a few days and so far for me it is the best phone I have owned. I was always a Samsung person. Mainly for the excellent cameras that they had on the phones. I had been hearing about the cameras on the Pixel phones and wanted to give them a try. I did an early upgrade from my year-old Note 9 to the Pixel 4 XL and all I can say is WOW. This phone is amazing. It's fast, intuitive, very fun to work with and the photos are fantastic. I really don't think I could go back to Samsung. I highly recommend this phone.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I love my Pixel 4 XL. I have only had it a few days and so far for me it is the best phone I have owned. I was always a Samsung person. Mainly for the excellent cameras that they had on the phones. I had been hearing about the cameras on the Pixel phones and wanted to give them a try. I did an early upgrade from my year-old Note 9 to the Pixel 4 XL and all I can say is WOW. This phone is amazing. It's fast, intuitive, very fun to work with and the photos are fantastic. I really don't think I could go back to Samsung. I highly recommend this phone.
Great to hear

diego.roscetti

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I feel the same way as you. Ever since I got the Nexus 6p and experienced stick Android since then I upgraded every year to the pixel XL, pixel 2 xl, pixel 3 XL and now the pixel 4 XL. The way things are going I can see myself continuing to stick with Google and the pixel line up. I enjoy it and my XL 4 is averaging 6hours to 6hrs and 40 mins with about 5-10% left.

I'm in the same boat as you. The Nexus 6p is what sold me. Went to the OG Pixel, 2xl, and now the 4xl today!

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site

I can echo and out experience.

mck2018

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I remember when I first switched from my OG Pixel XL to the Note 8, I spent a ton of time in forums like this because the photo quality of low light photos was so poor I thought something was wrong with the phone. Turns out I was just spoiled from the pixel. The Note 8 took great photos in decent light, but the Pixel just blew it away in low light conditions.

Coming from the S10+ to the 4xl I am blown away for the same reason.

Jeff Lidstone

Nov 6, 2019
Visit site
I have seen a lot of reviewers making unusual comparisons with the Pixel 4. This is my first Pixel phone, before that I had 3 generations of Galaxy phones (S7, S9 S10) and before that every iPhone until they got rid of the headphone jack. Now I own the Pixel 4 (not the XL). In everyday use, and as an avid photographer, the Pixel 4 works fantastic. I have no issues with battery, as the adaptive battery function is phenomenal. I find it responds better than any phone I have ever owned. It takes the best pictures of any phone I have ever had. My user experience is fantastic. Here is what I found out, sometimes a phone just feels right, and even though on paper it's not the greatest, it makes me happy. The best way I can put it, the Pixel feels like what an Android iPhone would be. Oh and as for Wide Angle, I just use the Panorama feature.

Last edited:

Golfnut1221

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Well, I am one of the first to comment on the smaller Pixel 4. And happy to report I am happy also. I had battery anxiety even before the purchase from knowing it only had a 2800mAh and all the bad press, but it is the same as my previous original Pixel XL that I traded in (and good timing as I didn't know security updates were stopping this month for it). Not that am a power user. Maybe average 3 hours of screen time a day. Most on wifi at home and work.

I SERIOUSLY was considering the OnePlus 7T. Same screen, cheap, Oxygen OS, beautiful and I am not a big camera user. BUT I am on Google Fi and thought I would lose a lot not being able to network switch, etc.

But as most mentioned, it is quick, slick, a great screen and just performs great. I planned on returning before I opened it, but gave it a try and I can say I'm surprised and pleased. Expensive yes, but with a $100 credit on Fi, trade-in credit for the Pixel XL, and a $200 stipend from work, I'm good.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar