I need some opinions on 4 XL's reception and signal strength compared the the Note 8,9,10 and the newer iPhones. I travel a lot in rural areas and need a phone that has signal as much a possible.
    11-08-2019 08:49 PM
    People can't really give you anything to off of. It would only matter if they traveled in the exact same spots as you do -- otherwise it is kind of pointless information since their experience won't necessarily reflect for you.

This would more so be a carrier issue versus a phone issue now a days.
    11-08-2019 09:38 PM
    People can't really give you anything to off of. It would only matter if they traveled in the exact same spots as you do -- otherwise it is kind of pointless information since their experience won't necessarily reflect for you.

This would more so be a carrier issue versus a phone issue now a days.
    I think what he's asking is not how strong the signal.is in a certain area, but how they compare to each other in a given area, no matter where it is. For example, if in someone's home they get -72dBm on P4XL and get -76dBm on a Note10 in the same spot. While it won't tell the OP what he will get in the various areas he travels to, it would tell him that the P4XL will probably have a stronger connection than the Note10.
    11-08-2019 09:55 PM
    I think what he's asking is not how strong the signal.is in a certain area, but how they compare to each other in a given area, no matter where it is. For example, if in someone's home they get -72dBm on P4XL and get -76dBm on a Note10 in the same spot. While it won't tell the OP what he will get in the various areas he travels to, it would tell him that the P4XL will probably have a stronger connection than the Note10.
    Mmm.. maybe. That is a very very bad test IMO. It would be a great test if within the same exact area.
    11-08-2019 09:57 PM
    Mmm.. maybe. That is a very very bad test IMO. It would be a great test if within the same exact area.
    Sure, it's not as good as telling him exactly what the signal is in his exact location, but as you said that's not realistic to ask for. But it will tell him how the phones he referenced stack up against each other. Whichever one has the highest signal strength in a given area compared to the other (on the same network of course), that should translate to stronger signal overall in any location vs the devices with lower signal strength.
    brosko likes this.
    11-08-2019 10:11 PM
    Sure, it's not as good as telling him exactly what the signal is in his exact location, but as you said that's not realistic to ask for. But it will tell him how the phones he referenced stack up against each other. Whichever one has the highest signal strength in a given area compared to the other (on the same network of course), that should translate to stronger signal overall in any location vs the devices with lower signal strength.
    Somewhat yes somewhat no. Different signals in different areas (bands) and it will show different on each phone depending what it is latching onto -- which means it gives a false positive as his area may not have the band the Note is connecting to so therefor the Note may not be the best at all... for the OP.
    11-08-2019 10:12 PM
    Somewhat yes somewhat no. Different signals in different areas (bands) and it will show different on each phone depending what it is latching onto -- which means it gives a false positive as his area may not have the band the Note is connecting to so therefor the Note may not be the best at all... for the OP.
    That's true, but then that also means that when people see a higher or lower signal level on their new device, it could be affected by the same factors you mentioned, which they probably do. The only other option is to buy it and hope for the best. It would also mean that when reviewers test signal strength it's completely meaningless.
    11-08-2019 10:17 PM
    Yes, that is exactly what I am asking. I was wondering if anyone has tried some or all of the phones I listed and also owns a Pixel 4 or 4XL and could compare how well the reception was in their situation compared to each other.

I'm currently shopping for two phones. I am running two phones, a Note 8 for a personal phone and a Oneplus 6T for my business phone. The Note 8 reception was ok, but not great on Android 8, but is sub par since the Android 9 update. It drops far too many calls and the WIFI is a bit wonky since the update. My 6T is setup with dual SIMs , one line is Verizon, the other is AT&T. I really like the 6T, but it is not fully functional on either carrier. On Verizon, it is LTE only and no WIFI calling. When I travel out of LTE coverage, it quits working on Verizon. On AT&T, it does not do LTE, only 4g, and also no WIFI calling. These are carrier limitations since the phone is a non carrier sold phone that they are allowing on their network.

I'm pretty aggravated with the Note 8 and Samsung. The Android 9 update lowered the phones performance, and they haven't done anything to fix it. The reception has dropped, when WIFI is on, the reception is even worse. The battery life is horrible since the update. I sometimes don't get text notifications.

I've had a Note 3,4,5,6, and 8. I had several different iPhones and the last one was a 6 Plus. I ran it side by side with a Note 4 and returned it within the 14 day trial period and haven't really looked at them since then.

I own my own business and need a phone that works all the time. Even when there is no signal, I need to be reachable on WIFI. I'm and Android guy usually, but the iPhones seem to have come a long way since I tried one. Since the Pixel 4XL is now offered on all carriers, I am thinking that I should be able to have full dual SIM capability on both carriers, but there has been some conflicting reports about WIFI calling working on AT&T with an unlocked Pixel 4XL. The iPhone XS and 11 are supposed to work well with dual SIMs and the carriers don't limit functionality. I can buy an unlocked iPhone and it should work fine. I also can't run my business banking app on Android, it's only available for IOS. I also need to me able to text in WIFI only situations so iMessage is appealing for when I'm communicating with employees and customers who have iPhones. Currently I default to Facebook messenger in those situations. Whatsapp is an option, but most people don't have it.I occasionally use the S-pen to mark a photo, but do use it somewhat regularly for my customers to sign credit card charges on my Square app for my card reader. They could use their finger as a work around if I no longer have a Note.

I talk a lot on a Plantronics Bluetooth headset so good Bluetooth connectivity is important.

I take a lot of low light photos and video for my business so the Pixel and iPhone cameras sound appealing. My Note 8 isn't that impressive in dimly lit rooms.

I'm trying to decide if I should buy a Note 9 or 10+ for my personal line, and a Pixel 4XL for my business line, or a Pixel 4XL for my personal line and an iPhone XS/11 variant for my business phone. Everyone I've spoken with seems to think the iPhone does very well with dual SIMs. I played with all three at Best Buy and really like the Pixel, it's so quick and clean. I've had a Samsung Note forever, but the lack of timely software updates is irritating and being completely abandoned like my Note 8 is a real turn off. I'm not a person that wants new phones all the time. If the ones I have did everything I need them to, I wouldn't be shopping for new ones.

My biggest priority is reception, I want to throw the phone out the window of the car or smash it every time it drops a call.
    11-08-2019 10:37 PM
    Huawei has the reputation for getting the best reception, which doesn't help you. You can buy from BB or Amazon & return if unsatisfied, I recommend the Pixel and iPhone.
    11-09-2019 11:10 AM
    I recommend the Pixel and iPhone combination as well. I am getting excellent reception on my Pixel 4XL and the camera is amazing. The iPhone 11 base model is great value for iOS. I carry 2 phones. Currently I am using Pixels for both (2XL and 4XL) but I used to carry an iPhone 6s and it was an excellent phone. I just personally am not fond of iOS for customisation. But it is a great device. I think the new iPhone is great value.
    11-14-2019 03:04 AM
    Yeah definitely get a Pixel and iPhone. Use the iPhone for your work device using the eSIM. That way if you want to use one phone once in a while you can pop your Pixel SIM into the iPhone.
    11-14-2019 09:04 AM
    The work phone will always be a dedicated work device, it will have both SIM's in use at all times for my business. I have a total of six phone numbers that ring on my work device, the Verizon line has four other numbers that call forward to it and the AT&T line just has one.

I'm watching the Black Friday sales to see if there will be a good sale price for an unlocked Pixel 4XL.

The iPhone is difficult for me, I've been with Android for so long that iOS seems odd to me, like trying to speak a foreign language. I am impressed with how far iOS has come though since the last time I owned one. I've been looking for deals on iPhone's and so far there doesn't seem to be any sales.
    11-15-2019 08:16 PM