Not sure what it adds or fixes yet, but I noticed when I took my 4XL off the charger this morning I had an update to the Google camera app. I already have the November patch, so this must be something new.
    11-13-2019 11:21 AM
    Nov. 13th almost half way into the month and still no November update for me. I purchased the device directly from the Google store unlocked. Also, no update to the camera for me.

At this rate I'll probably get Nov update and then 2 days later the Dec update.
    Pixelfan56 likes this.
    11-13-2019 11:23 AM
    Nov. 13th almost half way into the month and still no November update for me. I purchased the device directly from the Google store unlocked. Also, no update to the camera for me.

At this rate I'll probably get Nov update and then 2 days later the Dec update.
    Camera update - 7 hours ago.

November Security update - not seen yet.
    Pixelfan56 likes this.
    11-13-2019 11:31 AM
    Oh okay do maybe I'll get the camera update. I wonder what it does.
    11-13-2019 11:32 AM
    Interesting. Especially that last one. Works on P2 as well.... Update to the camera app this morning-screenshot_20191114-044742.jpeg
    11-13-2019 11:48 PM
    Received th camera update. Not doing much for us it's mostly support for the older pixel devices.
    11-14-2019 03:30 AM
    Finally got the Nov update lol.
    11-14-2019 08:46 PM
    This is another thing that people forget... Google has done an excellent job when it comes to back porting features to older Pixels. If there isn't a hard software or hardware limitation in the way, they'll push a feature down the line.

While everyone is clutching their pearls over this notion that your paying too much for a phone with supposedly inferior hardware, your also paying for a phone that will continue to improve over the time you own it. The only other company out there that does this is Apple.

Plenty of Android OEMs pretty much say 'screw you, we got your money' and appease you with a handful of security updates... But chances are you'll never get a sniff at a fraction of the new features that came on the newer generations.

So when people ask, 'Why are we ok with spending $900 for a phone when inferior hardware?', I want to ask them, 'Why are YOU content with spending $900 on a phone with inferior software?' My 4XL will continue to get better, even two years after purchase.
    Ben_70 and chriskwarren like this.
    11-16-2019 04:49 AM
    This is another thing that people forget... Google has done an excellent job when it comes to back porting features to older Pixels. If there isn't a hard software or hardware limitation in the way, they'll push a feature down the line.

While everyone is clutching their pearls over this notion that your paying too much for a phone with supposedly inferior hardware, your also paying for a phone that will continue to improve over the time you own it. The only other company out there that does this is Apple.

Plenty of Android OEMs pretty much say 'screw you, we got your money' and appease you with a handful of security updates... But chances are you'll never get a sniff at a fraction of the new features that came on the newer generations.

So when people ask, 'Why are we ok with spending $900 for a phone when inferior hardware?', I want to ask them, 'Why are YOU content with spending $900 on a phone with inferior software?' My 4XL will continue to get better, even two years after purchase.
    While I would have liked to see at least better battery and the fingerprint scanner as an option, I agree with your comment on the camera software features being 'back ported'; my 2XL has gotten so many camera improvements over the two years I owned it that it made me think twice before I upgraded to the 4XL as I felt I perhaps didn't need to buy a new phone yet.

I have also managed to convince people to buy Pixels due to the camera improvements that seem to keep coming.
    11-16-2019 10:19 AM
    made me think twice before I upgraded to the 4XL
    Oh, agreed. Leading up to the launch of the first Pixel, I ran into this myself. There wasn't a huge difference between the new Pixel and my 6P... When the modded Google camera that brought the zero shutter lag HDR+ to the 6P, there was no functional reason for switching... It basically did everything, just a smidge slower. So I skipped it, and didn't miss a beat. I waited for the 2XL... Which lead to me not bothering to even consider the 3... For most of the same reasons.

And with Google pushing the update window to three years, I could have skipped one more year... Considered it for a bit, but in the end, there was enough improvements in the 4XL that had my pull the trigger.
    11-16-2019 10:31 AM