08-01-2020 07:57 AM
48 12
tools
    SquareHome 3 launcher for my Pixel 4XL...no hit to battery...window tiles are beautiful and google assistant and all gestures work great...
    This is an awesome launcher but gets little mention for some reason. Any former windows mobile fans would appreciate it. A very stable launcher and as you mention, good on battery as well as being very customizable. One of my faves for sure.
    11-18-2019 12:50 PM
    Last time I used my Pixel 3 with Action Launcher, the gestures got disabled by Android 10. They work on the Pixel 4. Shhh! Don't tell Google.
    No need to be covert... Google did this on purpose.
    11-18-2019 12:56 PM
    The best reason for owning a pixel phone is the software. Putting a 3rd party launcher on it just seems silly to me.
    11-18-2019 03:25 PM
    The best reason for owning a pixel phone is the software. Putting a 3rd party launcher on it just seems silly to me.
    The Pixel software is much more than just changing a couple of things on your home screens and app drawer. I don't think that silly is the right word for this kind of decision.
    11-18-2019 03:29 PM
    I hear what you’re saying but a lot of people think a good 3rd party launcher enhances their experience. Google’s software is good and bloat free as well so this only serves to make the 3rd party launcher experience even better. Android is all about customizing. If we didn’t care to do that a lot of us would simple turn to Apple where keeping things simple is the optimal experience over there. Most forum frequenters like to customize so we are not the “norm” or main stream for the most part. I have several launchers in a file and ready to go anytime the urge strikes me. A lot of people like and are just fine with stock and that is fine. I go back to stock frequently, but then something starts bugging me like the notification bar that can’t be removed , lol.
    As mentioned above the pixel software is the android experience that comes with a pixel phone. The pixel launcher is a part of that and going 3rd party doesn’t change anything but the way that experience is delivered to the user and accessed.
    eshropshire likes this.
    11-18-2019 05:35 PM
    I tried stock launcher for a few days and eventually made the move back to Nova Launcher. I like the customization with Nova (I hate the app names on my screen). and widgets look much better with Nova (with padding). Also, for those that say 3rd party launchers don't support gesture, that is not true. I have gestures and the new google assist turned on using Nova.
    I have a 2XL, with Nova, and Nova Prime. Gestures are not available.
    11-18-2019 06:49 PM
    I have a 2XL, with Nova, and Nova Prime. Gestures are not available.
    On the Pixel 4 and Pixel 4 XL, gestures are indeed available when using Nova. Since this topic was posted in the Pixel 4/Pixel 4 XL subforum, whether or not they're available on older Pixel (or any other) phones is irrelevant.
    11-18-2019 08:21 PM
    I actually use Action Launcher and it's only because they have "covers" which means instead of normal folders, the first app in the folder becomes the "cover" and so if I tap on it it opens up the first app and if I swipe up on it it opens up the folder. Its useful because I can have my SMS messenger be the cover but then if I swipe I can access Discord, Kik, etc. It basically allows me to make the app I use the majority of the time for a folder more accessible because I only have to perform one action (the click) instead of the traditional actions (open folder then click app).

It sounds weird but trust me try it out for a while and you can never go back.

Plus I think it looks cleaner to have icons instead of folders.
    11-18-2019 08:32 PM
    I have installed Nova for first time in over a year. Good thing is my Google Assistant hasn't reverted back to the old style since I am in the UK and had to trick it into working.

Spent some time setting it up the way I like it.
    11-19-2019 03:42 AM
    Love the stock launcher...

Only feature missing is "Lock Icons on Desktop"
    11-19-2019 04:07 AM
    I've been using Niagara Launcher religiously for almost a year now
    11-19-2019 05:03 AM
    Used nova launcher all my live now have a OnePlus 7t pro so use the stock launcher becuase guestures are excellent in it but in nova they are pretty bad. Oxygen OS is pretty nice you can change icons and grid layout so it's all fine. Nothing I need more.
    11-19-2019 02:06 PM
    Pixel 3, but using Nova. I use gestures to add a swipe down for notifications and double tap to sleep.
    11-19-2019 02:08 PM
    On the Pixel 4 and Pixel 4 XL, gestures are indeed available when using Nova. Since this topic was posted in the Pixel 4/Pixel 4 XL subforum, whether or not they're available on older Pixel (or any other) phones is irrelevant.
    Android 10 should be Android 10.....
    11-19-2019 07:30 PM
    Oxygen OS is pretty nice you can change icons and grid layout so it's all fine. Nothing I need more.
    I'm still on stock but only because I think gestures are a little smoother and everything feels slightly quicker.

I miss nova though but all I really want is a few more options for icon size and numbers and maybe some homescreen gestures, I miss those.
    11-20-2019 02:11 AM
    Android 10 should be Android 10.....
    Wholeheartedly agreed, but that doesn't change the fact that currently, Android 10's gesture navigation works in third-party launchers on the Pixel 4 but not on older Pixels. Whether that's an oversight on Google's part, or just Pixel 4 owners being guinea pigs for something that'll be rolled out to older phones later, is anyone's guess.

In the meantime, since OP was specifically asking Pixel 4 owners by posting in that forum, the Pixel 4's user experience is the only one that's really relevant to this thread.
    11-20-2019 09:45 AM
    I stuck with stock launcher and haven't bothered with third party. One thing I do miss is custom icons that's about it. Although I appreciate the theming Google Pixel Launcher provides I wish they had the option to load a custom icons pack then it would be absolutely perfect.
    That would be sweet!
    11-20-2019 07:42 PM
    Just want to know everyone still on stock pixel launcher or go to Nova or 3rd party launcher.
    I'm using Nova. I like the overall feel of stock, and Nova does a pretty good job of replicating it, but it also allows me to tweak details here and there, like changing out the search bar in the dock so that it uses chrome, or using two lines for app names.
    Bkdodger1, gendo667 and recDNA like this.
    05-15-2020 07:38 AM
    Stock for me. I have used Nova with Samsung phones, but Google stock on the pixel is my favorite.
    05-17-2020 09:11 AM
    Back in the dawn of the smartphone era, the thing I hated most about iPhones was their lack of customizability. They were pretty good devices overall, and the company was paying for it, so I didn't jump to Android until the HTC Thunderbolt in early 2011. Customizability out the wazoo, and rooting made it even more fun. Ever since then, I've judged phones at least as much on their customizability as any other feature.

I fell hard for the Note 4 when it came along because I also dig big bright screens, and figured I'd be Sammy for life until the last few years of phones where the price was rising faster than my feelings of the value offered.

Along the way, I'd also fallen into Nova's grip, and found that between that and a few other apps, I wasn't finding the need to root anymore, but man oh man, did I love customizing my layouts with Nova! Icon packs, fonts, gestures, you name it, I customized it.

There was so much to love about the Pixel when I finally landed on it that I figured, what the hey, let's give the "pure Android" experience a whirl. Insert loud buzzer sound here. An absolute no go for me. Yes, a little nicer than Sammy's OneUI, but only a little....but whoa, soooooo little room to customize. I know that a lot of people pitch the Pixel stock Android experience as the most Apple-like experience you can get on Android, and I'm inclined to agree...but for all the things I hated about Apple as much as the things I liked.

My larger point isn't to speak ill of stock Android per se. I'd certainly gotten so used to peeling out and hiding all the unremovable Sammy and VZW redundant or outright garbage apps when setting up my phone that I forgot what a pleasure it was to go with first-class apps out of the box, and nothing else. I absolutely adore that, and certainly one of the things that Apple users are always pleased by too.

No icon packs in stock Android is a non-starter for me, and there are a bunch of gestures that I've customized in Nova that I hadn't found ways to edit in the stock launcher. I love the animations between pages in the app drawer more than is maybe rational, and have been known to spin them around just for the pleasure of it. That's what customizing is about, though -- moving beyond the bare bones of functionality to add things that are delightful for their own sakes.

More drawer styles, better UI for managing folders, easy invisibility, custom grid sizes, control over drop shadows for titles (which can also be turned on or off), multiple pages for docks, more shortcuts for common tasks, backup of saved layouts (a lifesaver that makes installing heavily customized designs in one click a BREEZE), all of it blazing fast....

I tried to give stock Android its best chance. I wanted to love it if for no other reason than that I love everything else about this phone so much. I read and watched and dug in this and other forums for tips and tutorials, and none of the best stuff I found relied on stock Android, and none of the rest came within miles of what Nova can do. There's really, truly no contest for me. Nova Prime all the way.
    06-14-2020 04:35 PM
    I just switched back to Nova because I miss Tesla Unread for my icon notifications. I like having the numbers on my icons telling me how many missed notifications I have.
    07-11-2020 06:24 PM
    I used Nova a while back, but since having the 2XL and now, 4 XL, the Pixel launcher is what I use.
    Pixeluser2020 likes this.
    07-31-2020 06:26 PM
    I liked the LG Homescreen setup but all my Samsungs including my new one use NOVA. I like to rotate through the screens rather than waste the one on the left that samsung locks.
    08-01-2020 07:57 AM
48 12