Stock launcher or Nova launcher?

rajeshr68

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I have always used Nova Launcher in the past on all my previous devices. This time I kept to the stock Pixel Launcher as the other launcher didn't support gestures and was quite happy with it. I tried Nova Launcher again on my Pixel 4 XL a few days ago but found the multi-tasking gesture would stutter when using Nova so have switched back to the stock Pixel launcher for now.

GMGCPA

Aug 23, 2016
Visit site
SquareHome 3 launcher for my Pixel 4XL...no hit to battery...window tiles are beautiful and google assistant and all gestures work great...

Executor32

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Swipe down for notifications works on Nova, as do the new minimized assistant and the other navigation gestures. If that's the only reason you switched to stock, you can switch back now. 😉

anon(881307)

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Been with Nova launcher for many years now..mostly use to lock the desktop..once they find a way to do this in stock OS.. Till then I will never switch

race4life

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I tried stock launcher for a few days and eventually made the move back to Nova Launcher. I like the customization with Nova (I hate the app names on my screen). and widgets look much better with Nova (with padding). Also, for those that say 3rd party launchers don't support gesture, that is not true. I have gestures and the new google assist turned on using Nova.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
SquareHome 3 launcher for my Pixel 4XL...no hit to battery...window tiles are beautiful and google assistant and all gestures work great...
This is an awesome launcher but gets little mention for some reason. Any former windows mobile fans would appreciate it. A very stable launcher and as you mention, good on battery as well as being very customizable. One of my faves for sure.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
The best reason for owning a pixel phone is the software. Putting a 3rd party launcher on it just seems silly to me.
The Pixel software is much more than just changing a couple of things on your home screens and app drawer. I don't think that silly is the right word for this kind of decision.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
The best reason for owning a pixel phone is the software. Putting a 3rd party launcher on it just seems silly to me.
I hear what you’re saying but a lot of people think a good 3rd party launcher enhances their experience. Google’s software is good and bloat free as well so this only serves to make the 3rd party launcher experience even better. Android is all about customizing. If we didn’t care to do that a lot of us would simple turn to Apple where keeping things simple is the optimal experience over there. Most forum frequenters like to customize so we are not the “norm” or main stream for the most part. I have several launchers in a file and ready to go anytime the urge strikes me. A lot of people like and are just fine with stock and that is fine. I go back to stock frequently, but then something starts bugging me like the notification bar that can’t be removed , lol.
As mentioned above the pixel software is the android experience that comes with a pixel phone. The pixel launcher is a part of that and going 3rd party doesn’t change anything but the way that experience is delivered to the user and accessed.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I tried stock launcher for a few days and eventually made the move back to Nova Launcher. I like the customization with Nova (I hate the app names on my screen). and widgets look much better with Nova (with padding). Also, for those that say 3rd party launchers don't support gesture, that is not true. I have gestures and the new google assist turned on using Nova.

I have a 2XL, with Nova, and Nova Prime. Gestures are not available.

Executor32

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I have a 2XL, with Nova, and Nova Prime. Gestures are not available.

On the Pixel 4 and Pixel 4 XL, gestures are indeed available when using Nova. Since this topic was posted in the Pixel 4/Pixel 4 XL subforum, whether or not they're available on older Pixel (or any other) phones is irrelevant.

mahabeean

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I actually use Action Launcher and it's only because they have "covers" which means instead of normal folders, the first app in the folder becomes the "cover" and so if I tap on it it opens up the first app and if I swipe up on it it opens up the folder. Its useful because I can have my SMS messenger be the cover but then if I swipe I can access Discord, Kik, etc. It basically allows me to make the app I use the majority of the time for a folder more accessible because I only have to perform one action (the click) instead of the traditional actions (open folder then click app).

It sounds weird but trust me try it out for a while and you can never go back.

Plus I think it looks cleaner to have icons instead of folders.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I have installed Nova for first time in over a year. Good thing is my Google Assistant hasn't reverted back to the old style since I am in the UK and had to trick it into working.

Spent some time setting it up the way I like it.

Yash Does Stuff

Nov 19, 2019
Visit site
Used nova launcher all my live now have a OnePlus 7t pro so use the stock launcher becuase guestures are excellent in it but in nova they are pretty bad. Oxygen OS is pretty nice you can change icons and grid layout so it's all fine. Nothing I need more.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
On the Pixel 4 and Pixel 4 XL, gestures are indeed available when using Nova. Since this topic was posted in the Pixel 4/Pixel 4 XL subforum, whether or not they're available on older Pixel (or any other) phones is irrelevant.

Android 10 should be Android 10.....

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Oxygen OS is pretty nice you can change icons and grid layout so it's all fine. Nothing I need more.

I'm still on stock but only because I think gestures are a little smoother and everything feels slightly quicker.

I miss nova though but all I really want is a few more options for icon size and numbers and maybe some homescreen gestures, I miss those.