This review is of the Schnail Savior Series Clear Case with Aluminum Frame Military Grade Full Body Protective Rugged Cover in Black for the Google Pixel 4 XL.

Overall I really like this case. I have been using it for the last few days, and I have to say that I am surprised. I normally use Spigen, Caseology and Otterbox cases, but I really liked the overall appearance of this case and wanted to try it out.

When I first received it, it came in two main pieces. The outer frame, which is a combination of aluminum and TPU, and then a hard plastic inner frame. Assembly is pretty straight forward. Clean your phone really well, insert the phone into the plastic inner case, and then nest it into the aluminum and TPU outer case. You will want to get a small flat tool of some sort to help the lip of the TPU surround on the aluminum frame to clear the plastic inner frame. I wish that a tool had come with the phone in order to do so, but I found that a toothpick worked just fine. Once nested together completely, the case has a extremely solid feel. There is no movement like I have experienced before with other nesting
    ADVERTISEMENT

phone cases. While this means it can be a pain to disassemble and reassemble, it also means that if you drop it the case isn't likely to come apart.

The quality construction and build seems to be on par if not better than other well known brands that I have owned and used in the past. The use of the aluminum frame is implemented nicely, which just the right amount of exposure, but not so much that it makes the case slippery. The clear backing is nice thick, and the lens cut out accents the raised camera lens very well. The lip provided by the aluminum frame and the rubber/plastic surround gives ample distance from the glass, which means should I accidentally drop the phone, it should avoid cracking the screen unless I happen to land directly on a sharp corner or raised object that strikes the screen directly. If there is one con to this case, it would be the raised lip, especially if you are using the new "swipe to go back" feature that Google has implemented in Android 10. You can still swipe to go back, but there is a bit of learning curve as you will need to press your finger into the edge of the lip before attempting to swipe. I use my thumb to do so, and found that if I attempt to use the edge/side of the my thumb, it doesn't work as well as if I press my thumb flush before swiping. A small sacrifice to make in order to ensure if I drop this phone that the raised edge will protect the screen from harm.

All in all, this is a case that I can highly recommend and will be my daily driver over my Spigen Tough Armor.

Link to amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...cUvbUpU6689901
    11-13-2019 11:42 PM
    I received my case just the other day and I love it. Your review nails it. I would like to mention the way they have made the bottom lip of the case in such a way that the speakers in the phone are redirected up out of the case. Personally I think it makes things sound louder.
    11-14-2019 12:12 AM
    I received this case for free with a strange process that posed some questions, but in the end it all worked out fine. I've been using the case on my Google Pixel 4xl for the past 2 days and feel that's enough time to give this preliminary review.
    I like thin cases that show off my phone, I'm super careful with my phones and I rarely have a need for extra military grade protection.
    With that in mind, this case is great!
    It won't be my daily as I do like the thinner ones, but for the times I go somewhere that I feel I need the protection, this will be my go to case. Ballgames, concerts, outdoor events, etc.
    It's big and bulky but it's built like a tank. It looks good and feels good and provides a lot of confidence against drops and other unforeseen events.
    Buttons are perfectly clicky and the cutouts are good too.
    I read somewhere that someone was having a problem with the native gestures with this case on and I can say that I understand how that could be but I'm not having the same issue.
    Now, one of my only gripes is the same as many others. It's really hard to get it on and take it off.
    For those that put a case on and almost never take it off, this won't be a problem. For those of us that have several cases and like to switch, it's a little problem. It was hard to get on and actually harder to get off. I'm guessing it will get a little easier as I do it a couple of more times and get used to it. It's why I would actually rate this case 4 1/2 stars if amazon allowed.
    Also, the plastic back is great to see my white 4xl, but I'm a little concerned that it will get all scratched up. Time will tell for that and I plan on finding out as I will use this case consistently for particular occasions.
    I will also add that with it being so hard to get on and off, it leads to a case that the fit is great.

Edit: Almost forgot to mention that the redirected bottom speaker feature is also pretty good. Very well implemented and it sounds good.
    11-15-2019 01:33 AM
    I received this case for free with a strange process that posed some questions, but in the end it all worked out fine. I've been using the case on my Google Pixel 4xl for the past 2 days and feel that's enough time to give this preliminary review.
    I like thin cases that show off my phone, I'm super careful with my phones and I rarely have a need for extra military grade protection.
    With that in mind, this case is great!
    It won't be my daily as I do like the thinner ones, but for the times I go somewhere that I feel I need the protection, this will be my go to case. Ballgames, concerts, outdoor events, etc.
    It's big and bulky but it's built like a tank. It looks good and feels good and provides a lot of confidence against drops and other unforeseen events.
    Buttons are perfectly clicky and the cutouts are good too.
    I read somewhere that someone was having a problem with the native gestures with this case on and I can say that I understand how that could be but I'm not having the same issue.
    Now, one of my only gripes is the same as many others. It's really hard to get it on and take it off.
    For those that put a case on and almost never take it off, this won't be a problem. For those of us that have several cases and like to switch, it's a little problem. It was hard to get on and actually harder to get off. I'm guessing it will get a little easier as I do it a couple of more times and get used to it. It's why I would actually rate this case 4 1/2 stars if amazon allowed.
    Also, the plastic back is great to see my white 4xl, but I'm a little concerned that it will get all scratched up. Time will tell for that and I plan on finding out as I will use this case consistently for particular occasions.
    I will also add that with it being so hard to get on and off, it leads to a case that the fit is great.

Edit: Almost forgot to mention that the redirected bottom speaker feature is also pretty good. Very well implemented and it sounds good.
    WTF! Who are you and why are you copying and pasting my review from Amazon? So not cool!
    To anyone reading this, I wrote this 2 days ago and submitted it to Amazon where it was finally posted last night.
    Again, why would you do this?
    11-15-2019 04:11 AM
    It's the vendor of the case. They copy everything so copying your review is not surprising.
    11-15-2019 04:56 AM
    It's the vendor of the case. They copy everything so copying your review is not surprising.
    I was thinking the same thing and wrote that in private message to him/her. Such strange goings on, as Gene wilder said in my favorite all time comedy. Lmfao!
    Anyway, as strange as it is, the case is damn good actually and I just took it off last night and put on my totallee thin frosted clear case. Talk about complete opposites but I do love the thin cases.
    goji26 likes this.
    11-15-2019 07:09 AM
    Good Day! I am adding my recommendation to those in the reviews, above. In the spirit of full disclosure, I also got my case through the Schnail Case 'free case offer' where I promised a review in exchange for a free case. Nevertheless, I am very pleased with the case and the reviews (one of those is above) that led me to a case I would not have learned about otherwise.

Pros:
    • Exceptionally durable
    • Solid heft
    • Really nice looking

Cons:
    • Makes the phone about 1/4" wider
    • Finicky with the wireless charger

Up until I got this case, I was using the Google fabric case, which I really liked. However, I travel quite a bit, and wanted something that would survive airport lounges, hotel drops, and foreign desks. In other words, more rugged. This case gives me confidence that, if I'm visiting another office and my phone gets knocked off the desk, I won't be headed to the phone store for a replacement screen or something. I really like the weighty feel of the case in my hand, and the solid grip I get when I hold the phone. A nice benefit is the clear back, which lets me enjoy the glass back of the Pixel 4 XL. Generally, the cases I have had on phones don't allow that, so this is a nice plus. Kind of like having all the protection of an Otterbox, with a nice view as well.

Attachment 313158Attachment 313159

There are two downsides, at least for me - not enough to make me take the case off the phone, but something that, had I known about it earlier might make me wonder whether this is the case for me.
    • I'm one of those people that likes to carry my phone in my shirt pocket. Now that the phone is a bit wider, it's a tight fit on some pockets when I stick a pen in my pocket as well. The flip side of that is, since phones often fall out of pockets, I worry less that the phone'll get damaged if it slips out.
    • The alignment on a wireless charger can be finicky. I haven't had a wireless charger for a while, so when I bought this phone I bought two Google Pixel stands (which include a wireless charger). It can be difficult to align the phone so it charges, and occasionally I need to play around with it before the lightening bolt appears over the battery. Maybe it's because the case is a little thicker or something. It works perfectly with my iOttie wireless charger in the car, so this may be distinctive to the Google product.

Conclusion: I really like the case, and I'm happy I both learned about it and bought it based on reviews from this forum. Would I have spent my own money on it instead of getting it for free? Yeah, I would. I usually like a little more 'touch and feel' in the purchasing process, and like to hold things in my hand before I buy them, which is why I've had so many Otterboxes in my life. But I'm glad I got this one, since it was something I might not have discovered otherwise.

Maybe the best review is that, now that I've put it on the phone long enough to get enough experience to write a review, I'm in no hurry to remove it.
    11-16-2019 05:05 PM
    Good Day! I am adding my recommendation to those in the reviews, above. In the spirit of full disclosure, I also got my case through the Schnail Case 'free case offer' where I promised a review in exchange for a free case. Nevertheless, I am very pleased with the case and the reviews (one of those is above) that led me to a case I would not have learned about otherwise.

Pros:
    • Exceptionally durable
    • Solid heft
    • Really nice looking

Cons:
    • Makes the phone about 1/4" wider
    • Finicky with the wireless charger

Up until I got this case, I was using the Google fabric case, which I really liked. However, I travel quite a bit, and wanted something that would survive airport lounges, hotel drops, and foreign desks. In other words, more rugged. This case gives me confidence that, if I'm visiting another office and my phone gets knocked off the desk, I won't be headed to the phone store for a replacement screen or something. I really like the weighty feel of the case in my hand, and the solid grip I get when I hold the phone. A nice benefit is the clear back, which lets me enjoy the glass back of the Pixel 4 XL. Generally, the cases I have had on phones don't allow that, so this is a nice plus. Kind of like having all the protection of an Otterbox, with a nice view as well.

Attachment 313158Attachment 313159

There are two downsides, at least for me - not enough to make me take the case off the phone, but something that, had I known about it earlier might make me wonder whether this is the case for me.
    • I'm one of those people that likes to carry my phone in my shirt pocket. Now that the phone is a bit wider, it's a tight fit on some pockets when I stick a pen in my pocket as well. The flip side of that is, since phones often fall out of pockets, I worry less that the phone'll get damaged if it slips out.
    • The alignment on a wireless charger can be finicky. I haven't had a wireless charger for a while, so when I bought this phone I bought two Google Pixel stands (which include a wireless charger). It can be difficult to align the phone so it charges, and occasionally I need to play around with it before the lightening bolt appears over the battery. Maybe it's because the case is a little thicker or something. It works perfectly with my iOttie wireless charger in the car, so this may be distinctive to the Google product.

Conclusion: I really like the case, and I'm happy I both learned about it and bought it based on reviews from this forum. Would I have spent my own money on it instead of getting it for free? Yeah, I would. I usually like a little more 'touch and feel' in the purchasing process, and like to hold things in my hand before I buy them, which is why I've had so many Otterboxes in my life. But I'm glad I got this one, since it was something I might not have discovered otherwise.

Maybe the best review is that, now that I've put it on the phone long enough to get enough experience to write a review, I'm in no hurry to remove it.
    What a descent review, lol
    07-28-2020 12:41 PM