Google gives up on US carriers - RCS Update Live in Play Store/Rolling Out

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Sometimes you have to use a workaround to get it connected.

Make sure you delete data in carrier settings. If you don't have the carrier setting app download it from the play store. You need that app for RCS to work. Then force close Android messages app. Delete the data in that by going to settings then apps then select the app. Click force stop then storage then delete data. Also check that your sim card has your phone number programmed into the phone. It should say your phone number in Messages app settings. If it isn't there you need to borrow an iPhone and manually input your phone number onto the SIM card using the phone settings in the iPhone.

Once all those steps have been done reboot the android phone. When it boots back in go to Android Messages app. Follow the instructions on screen to activate chat settings.

I have had to do this on several android phones to get RCS working.
How. I bought mine from google as well and under chat features it says my carrier does not support it. I'm on AT&T also.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Google gives up on US carriers, will roll out its own RCS chat system

They have no choice. Messages is an Android app not iOS so apple can't stop them.

The thought there is that RCS fixes Android-to-Android messaging but does nothing for iPhone-to-Android.

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Have two more folks with at&t that received RCS with Google Messages. Pixel 4XL from at&t and a Unlocked Samsung S10.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Have two more folks with at&t that received RCS with Google Messages. Pixel 4XL from at&t and a Unlocked Samsung S10.
I had an unlocked 4 from the Google Store and RCS was working fine on AT&T. Just got a warranty replacement today and now RCS is not working. My AT&T Branded Note 10+ still works with RCS. Maybe they are slowing down the rollout of RCS on new devices. Not sure what's going on but I wouldn't be surprised if AT&T is the one blocking it.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Sometimes you have to use a workaround to get it connected.

Make sure you delete data in carrier settings. If you don't have the carrier setting app download it from the play store. You need that app for RCS to work. Then force close Android messages app. Delete the data in that by going to settings then apps then select the app. Click force stop then storage then delete data. Also check that your sim card has your phone number programmed into the phone. It should say your phone number in Messages app settings. If it isn't there you need to borrow an iPhone and manually input your phone number onto the SIM card using the phone settings in the iPhone.

Once all those steps have been done reboot the android phone. When it boots back in go to Android Messages app. Follow the instructions on screen to activate chat settings.

I have had to do this on several android phones to get RCS working.
I tried these steps to see if I can get RCS back on my replacement device but it did not work on AT&T. Sucks that It was working on the device I replaced. Maybe it'll eventually start working.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I tried these steps to see if I can get RCS back on my replacement device but it did not work on AT&T. Sucks that It was working on the device I replaced. Maybe it'll eventually start working.
Uninstall the one you have and install this version APK , it was on my note 10+ and got it going without beta for my 1+7pro .
Download activity launcher and use it like before when was beta app .

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/googl...4_xhdpi-arm64-v8a-phone-android-apk-download/

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I forget this is pixel can't uninstall lol ,well download that version see if it will accept it
Actually got it to work with the latest Android Messages. You reminded me to use Activity Launcher. Set the URL to the sandbox.us URL, set the OTP Pattern to the only option and hit apply. Then app info for Messages did a force stop, cleared cache and data. Launched Messages and got the setup for RCS. All is back working. Thanks.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Actually got it to work with the latest Android Messages. You reminded me to use Activity Launcher. Set the URL to the sandbox.us URL, set the OTP Pattern to the only option and hit apply. Then app info for Messages did a force stop, cleared cache and data. Launched Messages and got the setup for RCS. All is back working. Thanks.
Awesome your welcome!

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I had an unlocked 4 from the Google Store and RCS was working fine on AT&T. Just got a warranty replacement today and now RCS is not working. My AT&T Branded Note 10+ still works with RCS. Maybe they are slowing down the rollout of RCS on new devices. Not sure what's going on but I wouldn't be surprised if AT&T is the one blocking it.

Yeah, I understood it to be a slow roll out. Apparently when google enables RCS they have carrier specific servers they are setting up instead of the google sandbox server. I found a reddit where a person was collecting server information for each carrier and they were missing at&t. They speculated that the at&t roll out was delayed I think.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yeah, I understood it to be a slow roll out. Apparently when google enables RCS they have carrier specific servers they are setting up instead of the google sandbox server. I found a reddit where a person was collecting server information for each carrier and they were missing at&t. They speculated that the at&t roll out was delayed I think.
I was under the impression it was Google servers , as the carriers will roll out their own version by next year.

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I was under the impression it was Google servers , as the carriers will roll out their own version by next year.

They are Google servers but they have carrier specific servers since the official roll out started. Here is the list of servers they have collected since the RCS roll out started. It's also my understanding that it doesn't matter which carrier config you get it still works cross carrier. Also, if you manually enabled RCS it's also my understanding that they will eventually point you to the correct server. So like if you are with at&t but have the google sandbox server setup you will eventually be pointed to the server built specifically for at&t.

https://www.reddit.com/r/UniversalP...rching_official_google_jibe_rcs_roll_outs_to/

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
They are Google servers but they have carrier specific servers since the official roll out started. Here is the list of servers they have collected since the RCS roll out started. It's also my understanding that it doesn't matter which carrier config you get it still works cross carrier. Also, if you manually enabled RCS it's also my understanding that they will eventually point you to the correct server. So like if you are with at&t but have the google sandbox server setup you will eventually be pointed to the server built specifically for at&t.

https://www.reddit.com/r/UniversalP...rching_official_google_jibe_rcs_roll_outs_to/
That's interesting how they doing this , thanks for this .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair