https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019...droid-devices/

Update is available. Received it last night.
    11-15-2019 02:32 AM
    Apple won't allow this to be successful....
    11-15-2019 04:12 AM
    Apple won't allow this to be successful....
    They have no choice. Messages is an Android app not iOS so apple can't stop them.
    11-15-2019 09:55 AM
    Is there a desktop app to coincide with this?
    11-15-2019 10:39 AM
    Is there a desktop app to coincide with this?
    Messages already has a desktop option in the app. Just select. "Messages from Web." I used it with my Pixel 2XL browser when I had to charge my Pixel 4 XL.
    onthecouchagain likes this.
    11-15-2019 05:18 PM
    Got app updated on tmobile and Pixel 3, but still no RCS option
    11-15-2019 07:13 PM
    Remember that many of these features include server-side authorization. Google's doing their usual staged roll out, so you just have to wait and see.
    11-16-2019 04:19 AM
    Unless I'm missing something, this will generally, at this time on people using Google Messages, is that correct? As far as true rcs to rcs. So, if that's the case, one will have a hard time fully utilizing it. Hopefully, Google will release an API so that third-party messaging apps can incorporate it.
    11-16-2019 02:54 PM
    It's not an option. You go up to Chat Features. If you select that and see "Connected" in green letters, you have been updated and received RCS.
    11-16-2019 09:02 PM
    I got mine this way...

So I really don't know if I've gotten any update or not. To be honest after reading the OP's attached article and my experience so far with Google Messages, I'm not even sure if it's worth it. No encryption, no scheduled messaging, no driving mode, you only get the full/most of the benefits if both parties have it and... well and did I miss anything, you tell me?

Everyone, even some Android users, talk about how great iMessages is. Ok so that's not everybody, but most of those apposed throw out WhatsApp which sucks in its own right. It ONLY works if both parties have it, and there's no outside of the app contact at all. In my own personal opinion the only way anything like this is going to catch on, take-off, last or even make a dent in iMessages' armor is if devices start shipping with it, and of course they fix some of the major flaws. I mean encryption at the very least, it's so basic.
    11-16-2019 11:54 PM
    I got mine this way...

So I really don't know if I've gotten any update or not. To be honest after reading the OP's attached article and my experience so far with Google Messages, I'm not even sure if it's worth it. No encryption, no scheduled messaging, no driving mode, you only get the full/most of the benefits if both parties have it and... well and did I miss anything, you tell me?

Everyone, even some Android users, talk about how great iMessages is. Ok so that's not everybody, but most of those apposed throw out WhatsApp which sucks in its own right. It ONLY works if both parties have it, and there's no outside of the app contact at all. In my own personal opinion the only way anything like this is going to catch on, take-off, last or even make a dent in iMessages' armor is if devices start shipping with it, and of course they fix some of the major flaws. I mean encryption at the very least, it's so basic.
    You wrote a few paragraphs about nothing at all. Chill out...
    VidJunky likes this.
    11-17-2019 03:19 AM
    Thanks for pointing that out... I actually thought I was talking about RCS. Referenced the article and things from it, which no one else had, but... I can chill.
    11-17-2019 04:43 AM
    Yeah, a little harsh there. Seems like a concise summary of the issues with RCS with a little commentary added. Nothing to get annoyed about.
    11-17-2019 07:23 AM
    Yeah, a little harsh there. Seems like a concise summary of the issues with RCS with a little commentary added. Nothing to get annoyed about.
    If you can determine annoyance from a post over the internet, you're a genius. You know what they say about assuming right?
    11-17-2019 01:36 PM
    Thank you. I thought I was completely on topic. Can't see how it didn't fit.
    11-17-2019 05:45 PM
    It's not only about read receipts or watching hand writing of the other person, you get better send and receive picture /video quality and works over wifi . At this point no RCS from carriers or Google offer end to end encryption.
    11-17-2019 06:25 PM
    It's not only about read receipts or watching hand writing of the other person, you get better send and receive picture /video quality and works over wifi . At this point no RCS from carriers or Google offer end to end encryption.
    Yeah in another thread where the OP was seeking input to help them weigh Android vs. iOS many of the comments centered around iMessage and how well it does pictures and video sharing. (I think you popped in that one too.) This of course lead into talk about WhatsApp and how Google needed to step up its game in this area. Because of Google's inability, lack of initiative or whatever was stopping them from trying to compete on this front and carriers doing the same, I and I think many others had all but given up trying to share via any type of messaging. I was sharing links for pictures and videos via Google Photos or Google Drive. Never had any issues and it wasn't complicated, it was what I became accustom to. So being able to share from a messaging app doesn't feel like that much of a big deal to me. Maybe once I get used to doing it that way. First though this will have to become enough of a standard, either with Google Messages or some other service, that enough people adopt it to make it viable. Then we all start feeling the same way iMessages folks do. Hahaha

Go Yank's!
    mustang7757 likes this.
    11-17-2019 08:11 PM
    Yeah in another thread where the OP was seeking input to help them weigh Android vs. iOS many of the comments centered around iMessage and how well it does pictures and video sharing. (I think you popped in that one too.) This of course lead into talk about WhatsApp and how Google needed to step up its game in this area. Because of Google's inability, lack of initiative or whatever was stopping them from trying to compete on this front and carriers doing the same, I and I think many others had all but given up trying to share via any type of messaging. I was sharing links for pictures and videos via Google Photos or Google Drive. Never had any issues and it wasn't complicated, it was what I became accustom to. So being able to share from a messaging app doesn't feel like that much of a big deal to me. Maybe once I get used to doing it that way. First though this will have to become enough of a standard, either with Google Messages or some other service, that enough people adopt it to make it viable. Then we all start feeling the same way iMessages folks do. Hahaha

Go Yank's!
    We see next year what they do lol (the Yanks)
    I understand what you mean for RCS .
    VidJunky likes this.
    11-17-2019 08:15 PM
    pixel 4 xl on Verizon using the Google messages app. still tells me my carrier doesn't support RCS. any ideas?
    11-17-2019 08:50 PM
    pixel 4 xl on Verizon using the Google messages app. still tells me my carrier doesn't support RCS. any ideas?
    I'm on Verizon. Maybe you don't have the update yet.
    11-17-2019 11:45 PM
    What method are you using to try and get it? I realize the article says the update is out or coming but I found this video through an article that came out a week or so before this one. Nothing about it referenced a carrier and following the directions was really easy to do if you wanted to try it.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...VUb5X4XvoYydxM

It worked for me...
    11-18-2019 12:44 AM
    Funny I got the attached a few hours ago, but then when I just now went into to the app to enable it, it says chat features unavailable for my device. T-Mobile USA. Google gives up on US carriers - RCS Update Live in Play Store/Rolling Out-screenshot_20191117_231848.jpg
    11-18-2019 01:53 AM
    I'm on Verizon. Maybe you don't have the update yet.
    My version says October 16th yet no update yet in the PLAY store......I guess I wait
    11-18-2019 09:16 AM
    What method are you using to try and get it? I realize the article says the update is out or coming but I found this video through an article that came out a week or so before this one. Nothing about it referenced a carrier and following the directions was really easy to do if you wanted to try it.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...VUb5X4XvoYydxM

It worked for me...
    By doing this, wont I lose all of my current text threads? I would rather not lose my current conversations.
    Please advise
    thanks!
    11-18-2019 09:17 AM
    11-18-2019 11:02 AM
62 123