At&t 5Ge seen in the wild

idiotekniques

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Saw my phone displaying 5ge while out and about in Jersey City, NJ today. This does require hardware in the phone to be compatible with, so figured I'd mention it.
610849f6347c1fc97b6e1fed75ab582a.jpg

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
And where did I state otherwise exactly?

Well I assumed you were saying it was something amazing since why even make a post about it? That would be like me making a post and saying "My phone says LTE!" -- so it seemed as if you thought it was something special.

idiotekniques

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
That is fake 5g ..I get it in Nj close to NYC also
People are so ornery. I understand it's not true 5g, as the topic was discussed plenty prior to launch of the phone. However, it is 2x faster than stock LTE, which is not bad, and it does require a hardware upgrade, which is obvious the pixel 4 does have now.

idiotekniques

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Well I assumed you were saying it was something amazing since why even make a post about it? That would be like me making a post and saying "My phone says LTE!" -- so it seemed as if you thought it was something special.
It's a hardware upgrade, figured p4 owners would like knowing as it's coming before real 5g with at&t at least. And yes, it's twice as fast as stock LTE. Which is quite a bit faster. That does, in fact, make me excited enough to post.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It's a hardware upgrade, figured p4 owners would like knowing as it's coming before real 5g with at&t at least. And yes, it's twice as fast as stock LTE. Which is quite a bit faster. That does, in fact, make me excited enough to post.

It is just LTE -- no matter if faster or not. It is not 5G at all. It is marketing stupid crap from AT&T lol. Other carriers had the tech for this long before AT&T tried to make it into a "5G" thing.

It is simply carrier aggregation w/ LTE.. basically the same thing T-Mobile and Verizon have had for a good while but didn't try and fake call it 5G as if it was.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Btw depending where I am in NJ the speeds are really high in certain areas and it's still just LTE. Other phones also support it not just the pixel and nothing to get excited about it's fake to get people to join at&t. Google it you will find lots of article about it.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
People are so ornery. I understand it's not true 5g, as the topic was discussed plenty prior to launch of the phone. However, it is 2x faster than stock LTE, which is not bad, and it does require a hardware upgrade, which is obvious the pixel 4 does have now.
It been talked about in forums when Att first did this , it was discussed in Note 9 forums about a year ago maybe less just saying

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
My understanding is that the 5Ge label is 4G LTE with some enhancements (like carrier aggregation and 4x4 MIMO) that other carriers have already incorporated into their 4G LTE networks: https://www.howtogeek.com/399560/5g-e-isnt-real-5g.-heres-what-you-need-to-know/. I suppose 5Ge would be faster than AT&T's old 4G LTE that didn't have those enhancements. Does a phone need special hardware to take advantage of carrier aggregation?

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
My understanding is that the 5Ge label is 4G LTE with some enhancements (like carrier aggregation and 4x4 MIMO) that other carriers have already incorporated into their 4G LTE networks: https://www.howtogeek.com/399560/5g-e-isnt-real-5g.-heres-what-you-need-to-know/. I suppose 5Ge would be faster than AT&T's old 4G LTE that didn't have those enhancements. Does a phone need special hardware to take advantage of carrier aggregation?

We're with AT&T and overall I like them.... especially the crazy low grandfathered in pricing we're getting. But they did this same crap with 4G, not really the best way to build a good reputation for honesty with consumers, as we're seeing in this particular thread :O

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
AT&T "5GE" is the same thing that Sprint, TMobile and Verizon have had for a while not. So it's not "AT&T has 5GE", it's "AT&T finally has 5GE".