12-19-2019 04:17 PM
45 12
tools
    I plug my phone in at night usually, and my phone goes all day without having to charge. In addition to this, when I am driving to and from work, I am using Android Auto that is also charging my phone. I usually end up going to bed between 40 and 60% battery. In my use case I just don't see the need to have a wireless charger.
    If you're going to bed with 40% to 60% of battery life, why do you charge it all night? Won't that affect the life of the battery? Like you, I don't see the need for a wireless charger. My current device supports it, but I'll be fine if it didn't. I'm surrounded by USB C cables with access to fast charging whether I'm in the car, living room, bedroom, kitchen, office, or dining room.
    11-27-2019 01:39 PM
    I am really curious about wireless charging so would love to hear the experience of folks who have been using it for a long time.
    I've been using a OnePlus 6T since then so I don't have wireless charging, but I've always wondered if people saw battery degradation long term with lots of wireless charging use. Anyone have any insights here?
    Been using wireless charging for a long time. Ever since Windows Phones (Lumias). Never saw any more degradation than with 'normal' charging. The reality is the charging mechanism is no different, something provides power to the charging circuitry which in turn charges the battery. In the wired case it is the power supply plugged into the wall. In wireless it comes from the coil in the phone. Both drive current backwards through the battery, which is what heats it up. Both can be regulated by well designed charging circuitry. What makes wireless somewhat slower is the power loss during the transfer between the charger coil and the one in the phone. It is in essence an open air transformer. The technology is getting better.

I charge wirelessly if at all possible. Even have the wireless iotte mount in the car for both my iPhone and Pixel. It keeps up even while using Nav. At home the phones sit on charging stands, and it is super convenient to just pick them up when a notification happens, or a call comes in, without worrying about a cable being to short, or having to disconnect it if I have to walk and talk. When done, just drop it back on the charger. At night, in the dark, not yanking something else off the nightstand with the cord is great, and putting it back on the stand is way easier than plugging in the cord, though direction agnostic USB-C and Lightning have helped.
    Shadnic likes this.
    11-27-2019 01:53 PM
    The problem with wireless is you end up with a very fragile device that is easily breakable. My old Pixel 1xl was solid as hell with the metal frame. So while I prefer wireless for the convenience factor, I'd go back to a wired option for a more durable phone design.
    Every seen polycarbonate phones? The Nokia Lumia Windows phones were easy to hold, nearly indestructable, good looking (IMHO), and had wireless charging.
    11-27-2019 01:56 PM
    Every seen polycarbonate phones? The Nokia Lumia Windows phones were easy to hold, nearly indestructable, good looking (IMHO), and had wireless charging.
    I did love my Lumia 925
    11-30-2019 11:02 AM
    I wanted a Lumia phone but could only get one in my area through AT&T, was on Verizon at the time. The one I wanted was a yellow one - not sure what model.
    11-30-2019 11:23 AM
    I wanted a Lumia phone but could only get one in my area through AT&T, was on Verizon at the time. The one I wanted was a yellow one - not sure what model.
    The yellow one was the 1020 with the fabulous camera. I had a yellow wireless charging cover for my 925. I loved the feel of that phone.
    11-30-2019 12:40 PM
    The yellow one was the 1020 with the fabulous camera. I had a yellow wireless charging cover for my 925. I loved the feel of that phone.
    YES! I can still recall standing by the MS kisok in a local mall holding the phone - awesome feel. That was long ago. I think I was there to pick up the 1st MS tablet, or something - 😕
    11-30-2019 01:28 PM
    I finally got used to wireless charging. I like it better unless I'm in a hurry
    12-07-2019 10:47 PM
    Wireless charging for me, zero issues and charges just as fast as it does plugged in

Anker wireless charger, Samsung 'fast charging' wall plug (not that it makes any difference to the 4 XL) and away you go Means not having to plug it in, means not having to unplug it when I want to use it when sat at my desk etc and easy charging; kind of sit it on the charger and forget
    12-08-2019 08:02 AM
    What is good brand name for the wireless charger?
    12-13-2019 11:32 PM
    Anker is one of, if not the best. It's the only brand I use
    newtda513 likes this.
    12-14-2019 05:33 PM
    Anybody else have experience with third party chargers? The only wireless charger that seem to charge fast is the pixel stand charger. All other chargers are super slow.
    12-14-2019 06:01 PM
    I bought a $10 wireless charger stand from AliExpress. It sits on my nightstand. I've been using it for the past week and it's very useful.
    12-15-2019 06:03 PM
    which anker wireless charger did you get for your pixel 4?
    Anker is one of, if not the best. It's the only brand I use
    12-15-2019 11:38 PM
    I have a Pixel Stand on my desk at work and I find it very convenient.

I'm going to buy a second Pixel Stand for my home office as well.
    12-16-2019 03:09 AM
    It's almost as if Google wants to make sure you only buy their accessories
    First the USB C to 3.5mm adapter (people reporting non-Google brands make the audio very quiet).
    Now the Pixel Stand (I have an Anker wireless charger, and it "feels" slower to charge my wife's Pixel 4XL than it did her LG V30, *but* most of the time we charge overnight so we don't have a lot of comparison data)
    12-16-2019 03:31 PM
    I prefer wireless charging , less wear and tear on the usb port
    Just curious, Have you ever used a phone, a USB-C plug phone, long enough to wear out the USB Port?

My last phone was a launch day OnePlus 5. I plugged it in every time I got in the car for android auto, and at least once a day to charge for 2 years. Conservatively that puts me around 1200 plug ins. and I never had an issue. And now 6-7 months later, my coworker has been using that phone daily since I sold it to him and still no port issue. again being conservative we can probably add an additional 200 plug ins bringing the total to more than 1400.

Do you use your phones for 2+ years?
    12-16-2019 05:30 PM
    Just curious, Have you ever used a phone, a USB-C plug phone, long enough to wear out the USB Port?

My last phone was a launch day OnePlus 5. I plugged it in every time I got in the car for android auto, and at least once a day to charge for 2 years. Conservatively that puts me around 1200 plug ins. and I never had an issue. And now 6-7 months later, my coworker has been using that phone daily since I sold it to him and still no port issue. again being conservative we can probably add an additional 200 plug ins bringing the total to more than 1400.

Do you use your phones for 2+ years?
    Sure be glad to answer your question :
    I do use phone more then 2 years
    I've had my Nexus 5x charger port go which is USB C and I fixed it myself.
    Had my note 9 with famous water moisture warning and couldn't charge it with the wire because of it and used wireless charging for that reason . So yes it does happen maybe you haven't experienced it yet but when you have wireless and cable charging you appreciate it more in case one of them fail.
    12-16-2019 06:19 PM
    Sure be glad to answer your question :
    I do use phone more then 2 years
    I've had my Nexus 5x charger port go which is USB C and I fixed it myself.
    Had my note 9 with famous water moisture warning and couldn't charge it with the wire because of it and used wireless charging for that reason . So yes it does happen maybe you haven't experienced it yet but when you have wireless and cable charging you appreciate it more in case one of them fail.
    But your statement was " I prefer wireless charging, less wear and tear on the USB port.

From this description it sounds like you prefer to have the option of both as a failsafe in case one goes out.
    12-19-2019 04:09 PM
    But your statement was " I prefer wireless charging, less wear and tear on the USB port.

From this description it sounds like you prefer to have the option of both as a failsafe in case one goes out.
    That and less wear on USB port
    12-19-2019 04:17 PM
45 12