I was a HUGE fan of the Nexus line of phones, and was pretty confused/mad when the Pixels took over. Every year I've told myself "I'll get a Pixel eventually...Google just needs to work the kinks out of their hardware...next year will be the year." Every year I am again shocked or disappointed by the design. Huge bezels, huge notch, huge forehead, small batteries. It just always feels a step behind everyone else. I have to interact with this device every day - I want it to look and feel either striking or at least thoughtfully designed.

I feel the same way about the Pixel 4(xl). I had so high of hopes and yet I'm stuck feeling like it's from 2017. And yet...for some reason...I want it? The design is really striking to me, even though I'm bothered by how other phones of the same size have much more screen real estate/bigger batteries/newer chips/more storage/lower prices/more cameras (yikes that's a lot).

The upcoming black friday deals are what's really pushing me towards it, but I know if I just ignore it for a few more months, the Galaxy S11 will be out, and a few months after that, the OnePlus 8 -> both of which will probably have all the features I want. I've just...always wanted a Pixel and this one isn't bad but I just worry about getting a phone that's already a bit behind in terms of specs when 2020 phones are just around the corner....

Anyone else go through this and either totally happy with their decision or...would advise waiting?
    11-24-2019 11:07 AM
    No because every new phone that comes out in future will be better than the one already released. Can't worry too much about stuff that's coming out. You buy the Pixel because you like the Pixel experience, latest Android software with the immediate updates and arguably the best camera. If you just want a phone that's on paper loaded with specs and don't really care about updates then yes you should not get the Pixel 4. You should wait and get the S11 in February since it'll be a spec monster and also a good phone. But you buy a pixel because you know the pixel experience and what you get from it. If not yeah I'll stay away from it.

Looks like you already have your reasons of not getting one, just get your S11 or OP8 whenever that comes.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    11-24-2019 11:28 AM
    Based on your post seems as you answered all your questions which would leave me to recommend you not getting it. However, if you haven't experienced or held/used the phone in person I recommend going to a carrier store to touch/play the phone especially with the $200 black friday discount.

Reason I say this is because to me at least the phone looks much better in person and just feels great to hold so I wouldn't judge based on the YouTube reviews Especially if you haven't checked it out in person..
    J Dubbs likes this.
    11-24-2019 11:37 AM
    I was a HUGE fan of the Nexus line of phones, and was pretty confused/mad when the Pixels took over. Every year I've told myself "I'll get a Pixel eventually...Google just needs to work the kinks out of their hardware...next year will be the year." Every year I am again shocked or disappointed by the design. Huge bezels, huge notch, huge forehead, small batteries. It just always feels a step behind everyone else. I have to interact with this device every day - I want it to look and feel either striking or at least thoughtfully designed.
    It's like a certain brand of car. You either like it or you don't. I prefer Honda/Toyota because they don't give you tons of bells and whistles and are highly reliable. I'm the same way with Google. Love the screen call feature and automatically blocking robo calls.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    11-24-2019 12:15 PM
    I think you answered your own question. If you are worried about specs, the Pixel isn't going to be for you. I love mine, but I couldn't care less about the specs. User experience is what matters to me. In my opinion, the Pixel 4 XL delivers on the user experience. I also have the Note 10+ and an iPhone 11 Pro, but my favorite day to day is the Pixel 4 XL. It's just a great experience. This is coming from a very loyal Note user. None of the issues I see in the "reviews" have been issues for me personally.
    hub1, Wildo6882 and Wiley_11 like this.
    11-24-2019 01:12 PM
    I would never use all the features a note offers, and the specs would be wasted on me. And I in turn would be wasting my money on it. If you want what a note or OP8 and will use all the features get one. I personally am very happy with pixels on discount, but I would never pay full price for one. They do exactly what I need, and I'm never left wanting something else.

Buy what you truly want with no regrets, you only live once ;-)
    Shadnic likes this.
    11-25-2019 02:17 AM
    Get an iPhone.

They're flawless...
    11-25-2019 03:00 AM
    How can you be disappointed of a phone you have not used?
    Not Quite Right likes this.
    11-25-2019 08:33 AM
    Get an iPhone.

They're flawless...
    While I respect the iPhone and anyone's decision to buy one, it isn't flawless and its certainly not for everyone.
    11-25-2019 09:38 AM
    The thing with Pixels to me is the value to cost ratio. I'd never consider the 4/4XL full price because I just don't think they're worth what Google charges for them. Not that I think they're bad phones just a little overpriced for what you get. I wouldn't consider the 4 (non XL) b/c battery life. With that said, with the Black Friday discounts I'd consider the XL if I were in the market for a new phone. Fi is doing a really good discount at the moment. I've grounded myself from buying a new phone for a while though.
    J Dubbs and Bkdodger1 like this.
    11-25-2019 10:50 AM
    The thing with Pixels to me is the value to cost ratio. I'd never consider the 4/4XL full price because I just don't think they're worth what Google charges for them. Not that I think they're bad phones just a little overpriced for what you get. I wouldn't consider the 4 (non XL) b/c battery life. With that said, with the Black Friday discounts I'd consider the XL if I were in the market for a new phone. Fi is doing a really good discount at the moment. I've grounded myself from buying a new phone for a while though.
    For me the real disappointment is what they offer for trade ins. That's spells big losses in up sales and taking away business from competitors
    J Dubbs likes this.
    11-25-2019 01:53 PM
    While I respect the iPhone and anyone's decision to buy one, it isn't flawless and its certainly not for everyone.
    I believe cribble2k was being facetious. That being said iOS 13 has been great, if you don’t mind the constant OS updates at one per week it seems. Definitely been a quantity instead of quality experience for me. My XR and iPad haven’t experienced this placebo level of help, ever...
    brosko and J Dubbs like this.
    11-25-2019 02:42 PM
    I believe cribble2k was being facetious. That being said iOS 13 has been great, if you don’t mind the constant OS updates at one per week it seems. Definitely been a quantity instead of quality experience for me. My XR and iPad haven’t experienced this placebo level of help, ever...
    You could be right but at the same time it wouldn't surprise me if someone making that statement meant it....lol
    J Dubbs and brosko like this.
    11-25-2019 02:51 PM
    I'm coming from -

the war on bezels is stupid
    best camera doesn't matter if the phone is dead

My wife has had the Pixel 1 and the Pixel 2 XL and she's getting ready for a new phone in the next few months.

It seems like the iPhone 11 has caught up to the Pixel in terms of low-light photos. It was at the point that in my wife's group of friends (all on iPhone), they ask her to take the pics when they're out instead of with ANY previous iPhone. Apple put in a slightly bigger battery (over the XR) - not that I'm complaining about the battery life on my iPhone XR.

I'm 99% sure my wife's next phone will be the regular iPhone 11 instead of a Pixel 4 or Pixel 4 XL.
    11-26-2019 10:26 AM
    I'm coming from -

the war on bezels is stupid
    best camera doesn't matter if the phone is dead

My wife has had the Pixel 1 and the Pixel 2 XL and she's getting ready for a new phone in the next few months.

It seems like the iPhone 11 has caught up to the Pixel in terms of low-light photos. It was at the point that in my wife's group of friends (all on iPhone), they ask her to take the pics when they're out instead of with ANY previous iPhone. Apple put in a slightly bigger battery (over the XR) - not that I'm complaining about the battery life on my iPhone XR.

I'm 99% sure my wife's next phone will be the regular iPhone 11 instead of a Pixel 4 or Pixel 4 XL.
    My wife was in the same boat. She has had the Pixel 2 XL since launch and all her friends and family would have her take the pictures when they want a good pic. She has 3 sisters and a ton of friends and she was the only one to not have an iPhone. The camera is probably the most important thing to her. Now that the iPhone has improved a lot on the camera and has pasted the Pixel 2 she wanted a new phone. I reluctantly got her the iPhone 11 Pro Max.

I'm sticking with Android and got the Pixel 4 XL.
    Ry likes this.
    11-26-2019 01:15 PM
    I reluctantly got her the iPhone 11 Pro Max.
    What does she think of the Pro Max? Gotta keep the wifey happy!
    J Dubbs likes this.
    11-26-2019 02:27 PM
    I think you answered your own question. If you are worried about specs, the Pixel isn't going to be for you. I love mine, but I couldn't care less about the specs. User experience is what matters to me. In my opinion, the Pixel 4 XL delivers on the user experience. I also have the Note 10+ and an iPhone 11 Pro, but my favorite day to day is the Pixel 4 XL. It's just a great experience. This is coming from a very loyal Note user. None of the issues I see in the "reviews" have been issues for me personally.
    I understand the reaction to my first post of "if you want a phone with high specs, go buy one". I guess to rephrase what I meant originally, it's that I'm captivated by this phone despite the less stellar on-paper specs. Something about the user experience looks very polished and tailored in a way you don't see on most android phones (which are usually just very powerful blank canvases). I get the sense Google is trying to sell an experience, and I'm intrigued what that experience is.

Like someone above pointed out, how can I be disappointed if I haven't used it? Well I should probably say I'm disappointed that the on-paper part of the phone, the part I can observe without using it, doesn't compete as strongly with other phones on the market. I haven't used it, and I feel like I need to in order to understand why the user experience is so great.

I went to check it out today and something about it did really strike me. The 90hz display maybe? The way Google assistant lights up at the bottom? The nicely rounded google font on everything? I'm not sure...but something about the package really struck me as special. Enough that I ordered one actually.

That said, right across the aisle was a Galaxy Note 10, and for $50 more than the 4XL I could get that phone which is a beast of specs and technology in every way. That said, I hate oneUI. I don't want to look at and experience that every day. If I can use third party launchers to make the Note10 look and behave like a pixel then...well maybe I'd change my order lol (so if this is possible someone please tell me).
    11-26-2019 06:27 PM
    What does she think of the Pro Max? Gotta keep the wifey happy!
    If I convinced my wife to get an Android she would constantly screw things up. iPhone software is fairly bullet proof unless you go deep in the settings and dont get how things work. That and she couldn't live without facetime on Android.
    msm0511 and bhatech like this.
    11-26-2019 08:35 PM