I have two areas of inquiry and keep in mind, I'm not challenging your knowledge. I want to know more.

Yes but still it's somewhat dependent on what SIM you have on the unlocked model. Generally if you have Verizon SIM you get first day or soon. For example we have observed having a T-Mobile SIM does cause delays. Many of us of have tested this. Let's say you have a T-Mobile SIM currently on the 4 XL and not getting the update, you can borrow a friend's Verizon SIM insert it, check for update and the update will be pushed thru.
    Rather than finding another SIM card, have people just tried using WiFi? Remove SIM. Connect to WiFi. All I can say is that my SIM-less Pixel 3 seems to get the updates promptly. I'm just one phone though so WiFi could be just as bad but it's a really easy option to try.

We don't know what's the process behind Google pushing updates in a staggered way, if they are indeed waiting for carriers to sign off. We don't know for sure but we do know that some carriers do get update pushed later than others. Not by weeks or months but may be few days to a week difference.
    Why does this remain such a mystery? Apple, also in control of their hardware and software, pushes their updates out rapidly. I know there's a lot of speculation, some or all of which could absolutely be accurate, but what's the advantage of being mysterious here? Don't tip your hand? Staggered roll-out is a good explanation. So how does it work? Is it actually carrier sign-off?
    Yesterday 12:52 AM
    I have two areas of inquiry and keep in mind, I'm not challenging your knowledge. I want to know more.

Rather than finding another SIM card, have people just tried using WiFi? Remove SIM. Connect to WiFi. All I can say is that my SIM-less Pixel 3 seems to get the updates promptly. I'm just one phone though so WiFi could be just as bad but it's a really easy option to try.

Why does this remain such a mystery? Apple, also in control of their hardware and software, pushes their updates out rapidly. I know there's a lot of speculation, some or all of which could absolutely be accurate, but what's the advantage of being mysterious here? Don't tip your hand? Staggered roll-out is a good explanation. So how does it work? Is it actually carrier sign-off?
    I've tried it with WiFi only on my 3xl and 4xl. No luck.
    Yesterday 04:29 AM
    Nope. Not yet
    Yesterday 08:01 AM

If you remove your SIM and try with WiFi it still won't work since it knows the last registered network. The only way to trigger the update is inserting the SIM of the carrier for which the update is being pushed.

It's a mystery since Google only says it'll be staggered update. They don't say that they are waiting or need carrier sign off. Anyway it sucks they do staggered update, and I do understand where they come from but at least fix the damn check for update button and push the update for people who manually want to force it. For others do the staggered update.

I do love Apple's approach of everyone getting the update day one if you want it. Unfortunately the closest thing to what Apple can do on the Android world is Pixel.
    rickms80 likes this.
    Yesterday 08:46 AM
    Nada.......
    Yesterday 11:50 AM
    AFAIK, Apple basically has a self-certification and/or it's all done in-house.
    Yesterday 12:59 PM
    AFAIK, Apple basically has a self-certification and/or it's all done in-house.
    Isn't the Pixel update all done in house? In Google's house.

What is self-certification? Do you mean Apple tests it themselves?
    Yesterday 01:03 PM
    My sideload stuck at 80%, anyone had this happen before?

nevermind, finally moved
    Yesterday 06:55 PM
    My sideload stuck at 80%, anyone had this happen before?

nevermind, finally moved
    Yeah it sometimes pauses for a little, good thing you didn't disconnect it .
    Yesterday 07:16 PM
    I just pushed the update by putting a Verizon sim. Waited for it to update and then put my TMobile sim. This is so stupid as I bought the pixel to get the updates as the same time just like the iPhone. Now pixel is getting fragmented. It's a bad sign if it's going to be a regular thing.
    Yesterday 07:27 PM
    I just pushed the update by putting a Verizon sim. Waited for it to update and then put my TMobile sim. This is so stupid as I bought the pixel to get the updates as the same time just like the iPhone. Now pixel is getting fragmented. It's a bad sign if it's going to be a regular thing.
    It's people pushing a narrative that doesn't exist.
    Yesterday 09:16 PM
    For those who are new to Pixel and want to understand how updates work, here is a Reddit link from couple of years ago which explains the update process. Explains how carriers are involved and how the updates can be delayed for a particular carrier etc. I like to point to this thread every time question about why my update is delayed comes

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel...be_subject_to/

## Carrier Involvement

Google has agreements with various carriers that allow for certain perks for both sides. One of these perks for the carrier is the ability to review the update for compatibility for that carrier's specific features. And yes, Apple deals with this too. Apple, however, releases their update when EVERY carrier is done (and due to Apple's market position, they get priority in the review process, further speeding this up). Google, on the other hand, pushes the update when it's ready, regardless of carrier status. If your carrier isn't involved, you're eligible for the update. If your carrier has approved the update, then you're eligible for the update. And if your carrier has not yet approved the update, then you are not yet eligible for the update. When the carrier approves it, Google will push it to you.

## Carrier Association, and How it Works

When you first boot up your phone with a carrier's sim installed, that phone becomes associated to that carrier in Google's database. This is NOT a carrier lock, and it is used by Google for identification purposes.

Google maintains this list and, when they push out an update, all phones associated to a carrier that has approved the update, or a carrier that has no role in the process, receive that update. Carriers that have yet to approve the update are not pushed the update.

You can change your carrier association by swapping to a different carrier's sim and rebooting. Or, you can delete your carrier association by powering down, removing the sim (do not reinsert), powering up, and performing a full factory reset. With no sim installed, the fresh phone has no carrier association and will pull the latest available update.
    Yesterday 10:48 PM
    See this is where we will miss @Mike Dee pixel rituals on updates
    Yesterday 10:52 PM
    Wonder if the system process sim app dialogue has any play in this.
    Yesterday 11:15 PM
89 ... 234