Getting my Pixel 4 XL tomorrow

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm getting my replacement Pixel 4 XL tomorrow. Face Unlock wasn't working on the first one. Should I setup as a new phone or transfer my data from my S9?

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I'm getting my replacement Pixel 4 XL tomorrow. Face Unlock wasn't working on the first one. Should I setup as a new phone or transfer my data from my S9?
I found that when I set my 4XL up using my data from 2 XL motion sense didn't work at all. I had to factory reset and set up as a new phone to get it to work. So I would set up as a new phone. Personally.

NMCynthia

Jan 18, 2018
Visit site
When you set it up as new, are you hand entering in all of your contacts, and apps, and setting up your launcher as new also??

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
When you set it up as new, are you hand entering in all of your contacts, and apps, and setting up your launcher as new also??
Once you signed into your Google account all those will be restored , the stock launcher you will set up again

NMCynthia

Jan 18, 2018
Visit site
Once you signed into your Google account all those will be restored , the stock launcher you will set up again

Okay, great, thankyou. My P2 is my first Android phone, and when I get my P4, I thought I would just connect the 2 phones with the transfer thingy in the box to transfer all the information. You are saying that all I have to do is just sign in to my Google account and everything just shows up? Cool!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Okay, great, thankyou. My P2 is my first Android phone, and when I get my P4, I thought I would just connect the 2 phones with the transfer thingy in the box to transfer all the information. You are saying that all I have to do is just sign in to my Google account and everything just shows up? Cool!
Yes as long as you have everything backed up.through Google , congrats on new phone .
Your welcome,!

NMCynthia

Jan 18, 2018
Visit site
I haven't gotten it yet ... it'll be my Christmas present ... but I'm haunting the Pixel 4 forums to get as much information as I can beforehand. And that little nugget you dropped was great!! I had Windows phones before my P2, so I had to hand enter EVERYTHING when I set up the P2 ... so it is a HUGE relief to know that all I have to do is sign in to my Google account to have everything show up on a new phone!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I haven't gotten it yet ... it'll be my Christmas present ... but I'm haunting the Pixel 4 forums to get as much information as I can beforehand. And that little nugget you dropped was great!! I had Windows phones before my P2, so I had to hand enter EVERYTHING when I set up the P2 ... so it is a HUGE relief to know that all I have to do is sign in to my Google account to have everything show up on a new phone!
Oh nice Christmas gift, yeah Google cloud your Contacts and stuff will be right there, only need to setup WiFi and your downloaded apps which is easy I play store will ask if you want to install previous download apps .

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I upgraded from 2xl to 4xl and love the phone. You will like it Cynthia.

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm thinking that maybe transferring my data previously, messed up my face unlock on my first Pixel 4 XL. Just a guess. I'm not sure why I didn't try setting it up as new before I sent it back.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I'm thinking that maybe transferring my data previously, messed up my face unlock on my first Pixel 4 XL. Just a guess. I'm not sure why I didn't try setting it up as new before I sent it back.
I had a replacement ready for me. But I would have had to show the shop it not working and then reset it. I reset it first and hey presto motion sense worked. It was definitely something ported over from my 2 XL that screwed it up.

NMCynthia

Jan 18, 2018
Visit site
Does anyone use Nova Launcher and have issues with it defaulting back to the stock Pixel launcher?

I think that November's update did that. I use the Microsoft Launcher, and every time I close out of a text message my phone is suddenly in the Pixel Launcher. I just have to tap the "pill" and the Microsoft Launcher is back. Mildly annoying ... I was hoping December's update would fix it, but nope!

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I think that November's update did that. I use the Microsoft Launcher, and every time I close out of a text message my phone is suddenly in the Pixel Launcher. I just have to tap the "pill" and the Microsoft Launcher is back. Mildly annoying ... I was hoping December's update would fix it, but nope!
Don't have that issue with 3rd party launchers here, the December update isn't even out for Pixel 4 and even if it's an issue how do you know it's not fixed?