12-26-2019 09:40 AM
43 12
tools
    Not a pixel hater, not here to bash. I have owned every Pixel XL version - 1, 2, 3, and 4.

The phone is in mint condition, has worn an otterbox case since I opened it, and has a screen protector. no scratches, looks new.

Yesterday, i went to open it and the phone started to refresh then died. It would not power back on. If I held the power button for 5 seconds, it would flash a low battery sign for a fraction of a second once, then disappear.

I plugged it in the wall and tried to open it. If I held the power button it would boot up to lock screen and then go black, but only if i held the power button down. I let it charge for 45 minutes. tried again, same result. Tried it unglugged after "charging", and it would only flas the low battery sign, like before. It was like the phone lost power internally somehow. Even keeping it plugged in wont allow it to boot up.

Called Google support, that wanted to me try and hold power and volume down button, that would bring up the recovery screen but it too would disappear after a few seconds even if it was plugged in.

They told me to take it to UbreakIfix. Despite spending $900 on a phone less than 2 months ago, they would not replace it, I bought it at Google store. I was on the phone for 53 minutes with people speaking broken english. I asked for a supervisor, he wouldnt replace it either, they said "sorry."

Luckily i had my 3XL or else i would be out of a phone, and I cant run my business with no phone. I swapped sim card and Im rocking the 3XL.
    What do I notice? I missed the fingerprint scanner, period. It is faster and more convenient most of the time vs. having to LOOK at the phone directly.

I miss the new feature drops with blur after the fact and the automatic robocall block though. I did download all updates and Android 10 for the 3XL and the 4XL just isnt that much of a tangible upgrade over the 3XL.

I am contemplating getting the phone fixed per Google's recommendation for free at UbreakIfix and then selling it online. THe quote I received was $500.

ANyway, first pixel I have had that has died, nut i cannot trust this particular phone again. If I am traveling, I would always bring a second phone in case the 4XL died again.
    12-17-2019 07:20 AM
    So rather than replace the phone, with a refurbished one by the way, they want you to bring it to an authorized repair location to replace the battery in the current unit and they'll pay for the service? You get the phone back, working, same day and if there are further issues with it you still have recourse under the warranty coverage.
    12-17-2019 07:32 AM
    So rather than replace the phone, with a refurbished one by the way, they want you to bring it to an authorized repair location to replace the battery in the current unit and they'll pay for the service? You get the phone back, working, same day and if there are further issues with it you still have recourse under the warranty coverage.
    Well they didnt say it was a battery issue. I assume it is. But I have no clue if I will get it back in the same day or 3 days or whatever. Never been to a "UbreakIfix" before. I am just lucky I had a backup phone, I was expecting a replacement overnighted, but obviously thats not the case. Not sure if your message is implying something or general questions?

The warranty was explained to me that it is 1 year and the only option they provide is to take to UbreakIfix, now if that store deems it too far gone, then maybe they tell google and google sends refurb phone, I dont know. Im not big on spending 900 and getting a refurb phone inside of 2 months of buying it, especially considering it is in mint condition and been in a protective case since it was unboxed.
    12-17-2019 07:57 AM
    Defects happen
    Ry likes this.
    12-17-2019 10:03 AM
    I don't understand how this wouldn't be covered by the 1 year warranty.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    12-17-2019 10:06 AM
    I don't understand how this wouldn't be covered by the 1 year warranty.
    It is, that's why it can be replaced at their repair partner for free
    12-17-2019 10:07 AM
    It is, that's why it can be replaced at their repair partner for free
    Good catch, missed that part. Not sure what the issue is then, since they will fix it for free.
    osubeavs728 and Ry like this.
    12-17-2019 10:32 AM
    So the battery connection to motherboard failed.... technician felt it was a poor soldering job from the factory they put in a new battery reconnected everything

Edited

This is not fixed
    12-17-2019 11:29 AM
    Boards are soldered on wave solder machines, about half a second for the entire board (and have been for years), so it happens. But it's supposed to be caught in QC. (ADP used to dump loads of 100 boards or so in their dumpsters at one point - if the solder got too cool, that many boards went through before they stopped the line. That's still cheaper than having people soldering parts, the way they do it in China.) Too bad you got hit by probably the only 1 or 2 phones that slipped through.
    Pixelfan56 likes this.
    12-17-2019 12:35 PM
    I will miss my fingerprint scanner though....

Hope the 5xl has one in the screen coupled with face unlock 2.0
    12-17-2019 01:56 PM
    We'll check that... it was not fixed.

I went back to uBreakiFix, they said battery was replaced and showed it had 18%. They put on charger. After a couple hours still at 18%.

Said there is something else going with it, probably motherboard related. Said to call Google and get a replacement. I'm on hold with them now.

They are processing a replacement, which means I am getting a new one.

So all in all, I am happy they are going to ship a new phone. I hope the broken phone will have enough power to transfer data but considering I'm at 17% and not charging , I doubt it will have enough power to cable transfer data like Textra messages.
    12-17-2019 02:34 PM
    Edited to add the phone no longer powers on I turned it off to conserve the battery and noticed a white battery indicator in the middle of the screen with a? In the middle of it the phone is plugged into the AC power charging brick that it came with and it will not turn on no matter what
    12-17-2019 02:46 PM
    I love ubreakifix. I've used them a lot. They are reputable.

All original parts. I've had many pixels fixed through them.
    12-17-2019 03:14 PM
    So it's not new, it's refurbished

Thumbs down

This experience has me rethinking what phone I will go with next...
    12-17-2019 03:37 PM

Well mine was not
    12-17-2019 03:57 PM

Well mine was not fixed
    12-17-2019 04:00 PM
    https://support.google.com/pixelphon.../1877271?hl=en

This whole thread is disappointing and mirrors mine.. I may just sell the refurb and go another direction
    12-17-2019 04:01 PM
    I just read though this thread and really do not see anything google did wrong. they always have the option to fix or replace and they always had the option to replace with a refurbished phone. I know it ws a pain to go through the process but...
    osubeavs728 and Wiley_11 like this.
    12-17-2019 04:12 PM
    What's wrong with a refurbished if it's direct from Google? The phone is essentially new but comes in a different box, has the same warranty, new battery ect.
    firebirder likes this.
    12-17-2019 05:28 PM
    The same thing happened to my pixel 4xl after 3 weeks. Google made me get it repaired first, which i did. It worked for a week then the same thing happened. Phone would power off and show nothing but a battery with a question mark. They fought me like crazy on getting a replacement because i brought it from best buy and it was passed the 14 day return period. Finally they agreed to have me send the phone back for a replacement but would take 10 business days, which is ridiculous. I was leaving to go to California for 2 weeks so i went and got a note 10+ on black Friday just so i had a phone. I have to be honest i loved having a google phone and have always had one but im loving the note 10+. And google has left a bad taste in my mouth with the poor customer service. They should've replaced a 3 week old phone from the start.
    Pixelfan56 and J Dubbs like this.
    12-17-2019 06:14 PM
    The same thing happened to my pixel 4xl after 3 weeks. Google made me get it repaired first, which i did. It worked for a week then the same thing happened. Phone would power off and show nothing but a battery with a question mark. They fought me like crazy on getting a replacement because i brought it from best buy and it was passed the 14 day return period. Finally they agreed to have me send the phone back for a replacement but would take 10 business days, which is ridiculous. I was leaving to go to California for 2 weeks so i went and got a note 10+ on black Friday just so i had a phone. I have to be honest i loved having a google phone and have always had one but im loving the note 10+. And google has left a bad taste in my mouth with the poor customer service. They should've replaced a 3 week old phone from the start.
    agreed am I am contemplating selling the refurb for $500 on the internet

I have a 3XL (battery is worn out a little though) and if I didnt have that I would be without a phone

IMO, 7 weeks is a little short of time period to get a refurb. I paid $900 for a new phone, 7 weeks (and certainly 3 weeks) later, thats getting me a refurbished phone. The google thread above has many stories of the refurbs wither not working or breaking from other pixel users.
    On top of that, I was told I was getting a new phone, problem is their customer support doesnt understand english the best so he was probably misunderstanding what I meant, although i specifically asked if i was getting a refurb or new. he said new. Then i got an email showing i was getting a refurb.
    Im torn because I like the google/android ecosystem with no bloat. I paid premium pricing, and expect accurate information from the OEM and premium service.
    12-17-2019 06:25 PM
    What's wrong with a refurbished if it's direct from Google? The phone is essentially new but comes in a different box, has the same warranty, new battery ect.
    That's my thought as well, and typically comes in new packaging (all the returns I've gotten from Google and repair partners have had new packaging). It's interesting to me that I really only see this kind of thought persistently in the phone market. Realistically, in very few other markets do you have a defective item replaced immediately with a brand new one.

My switch controllers went bad after a month of having the device and guess what, had to send the controllers in and wait for them to be repaired, rendering the device useless for a while.
    12-17-2019 06:44 PM
    Not a pixel hater, not here to bash. I have owned every Pixel XL version - 1, 2, 3, and 4.

The phone is in mint condition, has worn an otterbox case since I opened it, and has a screen protector. no scratches, looks new.

Yesterday, i went to open it and the phone started to refresh then died. It would not power back on. If I held the power button for 5 seconds, it would flash a low battery sign for a fraction of a second once, then disappear.

I plugged it in the wall and tried to open it. If I held the power button it would boot up to lock screen and then go black, but only if i held the power button down. I let it charge for 45 minutes. tried again, same result. Tried it unglugged after "charging", and it would only flas the low battery sign, like before. It was like the phone lost power internally somehow. Even keeping it plugged in wont allow it to boot up.

Called Google support, that wanted to me try and hold power and volume down button, that would bring up the recovery screen but it too would disappear after a few seconds even if it was plugged in.

They told me to take it to UbreakIfix. Despite spending $900 on a phone less than 2 months ago, they would not replace it, I bought it at Google store. I was on the phone for 53 minutes with people speaking broken english. I asked for a supervisor, he wouldnt replace it either, they said "sorry."

Luckily i had my 3XL or else i would be out of a phone, and I cant run my business with no phone. I swapped sim card and Im rocking the 3XL.
    What do I notice? I missed the fingerprint scanner, period. It is faster and more convenient most of the time vs. having to LOOK at the phone directly.

I miss the new feature drops with blur after the fact and the automatic robocall block though. I did download all updates and Android 10 for the 3XL and the 4XL just isnt that much of a tangible upgrade over the 3XL.

I am contemplating getting the phone fixed per Google's recommendation for free at UbreakIfix and then selling it online. THe quote I received was $500.

ANyway, first pixel I have had that has died, nut i cannot trust this particular phone again. If I am traveling, I would always bring a second phone in case the 4XL died again.
    Just got a refurbished pixel 3 xl 3 weeks ago. Absolutely worth it. As you said, not much there in comparison to Pixel 4 xl. Really there is not much. I am a happy camper. Will wait to see what the pixel 5 brings and if not much change from pixel 4, will rock this 3 xl until Pixel 6 lol. I'm serious. It ain't worth yearly upgrades with pixel phones.
    12-17-2019 07:04 PM
    I was torn too because i love google software but i gotta say after using the note 10+ for 2 weeks im selling my pixel 4 xl. The hardware on the Samsung doesn't even compare and the software is not as bad as i thought. No its def not a pixel in software regards but its a dam good phone and should get better with the new update. Google has just left me sour and i feel i was ripped off. Shouldn't have to have a 3 week old phone repaired then exchanged for a refurbished. Very frustrating.
    12-17-2019 07:09 PM
    agreed am I am contemplating selling the refurb for $500 on the internet

I have a 3XL (battery is worn out a little though) and if I didnt have that I would be without a phone

IMO, 7 weeks is a little short of time period to get a refurb. I paid $900 for a new phone, 7 weeks (and certainly 3 weeks) later, thats getting me a refurbished phone. The google thread above has many stories of the refurbs wither not working or breaking from other pixel users.
    On top of that, I was told I was getting a new phone, problem is their customer support doesnt understand english the best so he was probably misunderstanding what I meant, although i specifically asked if i was getting a refurb or new. he said new. Then i got an email showing i was getting a refurb.
    Im torn because I like the google/android ecosystem with no bloat. I paid premium pricing, and expect accurate information from the OEM and premium service.
    Refurbished replacements are the norm for Google. They don't give you a new phone. Sucks but that's the reality. They want to charge premium prices and pretend they are apple but they are not.

Anyway, your refurbished from Google should look brand new and it will have warranty. It's all just in your head lol. Nothing wrong with refurbished straight from Google. I just bought Google refurbished 3 xl days go. If they told me it's brand new, I would have believed it lol.
    12-17-2019 07:10 PM
43 12