03-11-2020 04:41 AM
34 12
tools
    I have a 4XL and have noticed that it is not possible to change the Bluetooth settings under developer settings. For example I have Sony WH1000 M3s and it defaults to system default for codec and ‘Best Effort’ for LDAC settings, when I change both settings it does not stick.

My understanding is that on Pixels (well for the Pixel 3 at least) that best effort results in a lower bitrate than SBC?

Anybody else noticed this?
    01-09-2020 05:41 AM
    What codec does it show, when connected, in Bluetooth settings for the mx3?
    01-09-2020 08:07 AM
    Also do you have it set to highest quality in the Sony headphone app?
    01-09-2020 08:09 AM
    Set to LDAC and set to focus on AUD quality in the app.

Tried playing with the sample rate and bits per sample as per somebody else's suggestion but no change.
    01-09-2020 09:19 AM
    I have a 4XL and have noticed that it is not possible to change the Bluetooth settings under developer settings. For example I have Sony WH1000 M3s and it defaults to system default for codec and ‘Best Effort’ for LDAC settings, when I change both settings it does not stick.

My understanding is that on Pixels (well for the Pixel 3 at least) that best effort results in a lower bitrate than SBC?

Anybody else noticed this?
    I experienced this on my Pixel 3a when I updated it to Android 10. I've since sold it, and sold my Sony M3's as well. I previously had a Samsung S10e and S10+, and the phones could not play LDAC at the highest quality setting (on Android Pie). It drove me nuts when I had those headphones. My M3's worked perfectly with a OnePlus 7 Pro at highest LDAC setting and always defaulted to that.

If someone can test this using headphones that default to AptX HD we should know whether it is an LDAC issue or Android issue. Could be both and impossible to figure out...

I've been using my AirPods Pro with my Pixel 4 XL and it defaults to AAC automatically, for what that's worth. My next over-ears will not be LDAC.
    01-20-2020 12:55 PM
    I think the issue is slightly different on the pixel, on the Samsung you can change the codec and the quality but it resets back every time you disconnect. On the pixel you cannot change it at all.

I'd be interested to see some aptx-hd headphones too, would also be interested to know for sure if the pixel 4 drops to 330 on best effort like the 3 does. Does not seem to be a way to test
    01-20-2020 01:10 PM
    I think the issue is slightly different on the pixel, on the Samsung you can change the codec and the quality but it resets back every time you disconnect. On the pixel you cannot change it at all.

I'd be interested to see some aptx-hd headphones too, would also be interested to know for sure if the pixel 4 drops to 330 on best effort like the 3 does. Does not seem to be a way to test
    On my Note10+ unlocked model I can select 990 and it stays until disconnected but its choppy and not useable. I can run 660 and it's fine which I assume it's doing under best effort. In event, I get decent sound with the WH1000XM3s but it would be nice if Sony and Google ironed out the issues.
    01-20-2020 01:42 PM
    The only one I can change on my pixel 4xl is Bluetooth version the rest will stay on default after changing
    01-20-2020 01:58 PM
    On my Note10+ unlocked model I can select 990 and it stays until disconnected but its choppy and not useable. I can run 660 and it's fine which I assume it's doing under best effort. In event, I get decent sound with the WH1000XM3s but it would be nice if Sony and Google ironed out the issues.
    Same thing on my Samsung Tablet S6 on Android 9. But its not choppy, works fine. The LDAC resets after each connection to Best effort, but I notice the Sample rate and bits remain on highest setting. On my Pixel 3, those also get bumped down to lowest setting after disconnect.
    01-20-2020 03:32 PM
    Same thing on my Samsung Tablet S6 on Android 9. But its not choppy, works fine. The LDAC resets after each connection to Best effort, but I notice the Sample rate and bits remain on highest setting. On my Pixel 3, those also get bumped down to lowest setting after disconnect.
    I also read somewhere that's LDAC is not as hi-res as Sony makes it out to be...surprise, surprise.....but overall I still think it's the best we can get. It's not quite wired sound but it's pretty damn good.
    01-20-2020 03:35 PM
    The only one I can change on my pixel 4xl is Bluetooth version the rest will stay on default after changing
    In most cases the audio unit or its software picks what its capable of anyway.
    01-20-2020 03:37 PM
    In most cases the audio unit or its software picks what its capable of anyway.
    Do you think those settings might get enabled after connecting to a bluetooth device?
    01-20-2020 04:44 PM
    I also read somewhere that's LDAC is not as hi-res as Sony makes it out to be...surprise, surprise.....but overall I still think it's the best we can get. It's not quite wired sound but it's pretty damn good.
    I just figured out Spotify is 320kbs in its highest quality setting, so perhaps thats why it defaults to Best Effort. Both my devices just default to its source material I presume, which makes sense. I don't have any true high res sources to try. I have YouTube Music and Google Play but never use them, but I read they are even lower kbs.

But like you said its still very good quality. Especially with noise canceling.
    01-20-2020 05:03 PM
    I just figured out Spotify is 320kbs in its highest quality setting, so perhaps thats why it defaults to Best Effort. Both my devices just default to its source material I presume, which makes sense. I don't have any true high res sources to try. I have YouTube Music and Google Play but never use them, but I read they are even lower kbs.

But like you said its still very good quality. Especially with noise canceling.
    I believe it does the same thing with FLAC files, but I'll have to double check.
    01-20-2020 07:11 PM
    I believe it does the same thing with FLAC files, but I'll have to double check.
    I used FLAC on my S10e and S10+ and it still was stuck on “best effort.”
    01-20-2020 08:57 PM
    I used FLAC on my S10e and S10+ and it still was stuck on “best effort.”
    Best effort isn't necessarily bad.
    01-20-2020 09:15 PM
    Best effort isn't necessarily bad.
    True. But it would still be nice to be able to change the BT settings / have changes stick.
    01-20-2020 09:31 PM
    True. But it would still be nice to be able to change the BT settings / have changes stick.
    I think the best way would be through external software.
    01-20-2020 09:46 PM
    If the pixel 4 best effort is the same as the 3 then soundguys tested it as worse than SBC, so this is not a good thing.
    01-21-2020 12:40 PM
    If the pixel 4 best effort is the same as the 3 then soundguys tested it as worse than SBC, so this is not a good thing.
    What do your ears tell you?
    I dont know what Pixel 4 sounds like, but I had the 3XL when it first came out along with the WH1000XM3 and the sound was pretty good, not as good as my wired headset, but good considering it was bluetooth. I currently use the WH1000XM3s with the Note10+ and S10+ and the sound is excellent....I'll try them hardwired later because I don't have a dongle with me for a comparison.
    01-21-2020 02:30 PM
    I read that as well, but in testing my ears it was not true. In the Sony app, you can set the headphones to 'Priority on Stable connection" and it changes to SBC and it sounds like garbage.

One thing I just tried last night is Amazon Music HD. Didn't know it existed, but sounds far better than Spotify, especially the Ultra HD songs.
    Bitrates and sample rates for the three tiers of Amazon Music HD:

SD — Bitrate: 320 Kbps
    HD — Bitrate: average of 850 Kbps; Sample rate: 16-bit/44kHz
    Ultra HD — Bitrate: average of 3,730 kbps; Sample rate: up to 24-bit/192kHz

Give it a try with their 30 day free trial. $12.99/month after for Prime members.
    01-21-2020 05:36 PM
    I read that as well, but in testing my ears it was not true. In the Sony app, you can set the headphones to 'Priority on Stable connection" and it changes to SBC and it sounds like garbage.

One thing I just tried last night is Amazon Music HD. Didn't know it existed, but sounds far better than Spotify, especially the Ultra HD songs.

Give it a try with their 30 day free trial. $12.99/month after for Prime members.
    It's a shame bluetooth connections are so easily disrupted
    01-21-2020 06:55 PM
    What do your ears tell you?
    I dont know what Pixel 4 sounds like, but I had the 3XL when it first came out along with the WH1000XM3 and the sound was pretty good, not as good as my wired headset, but good considering it was bluetooth. I currently use the WH1000XM3s with the Note10+ and S10+ and the sound is excellent....I'll try them hardwired later because I don't have a dongle with me for a comparison.
    It could be confirmation bias but my ears tell me that the sound is not as good as my P30 Pro playing the same files.
    01-22-2020 07:22 AM

Amazon Music is pretty good, I do not like the album management though, specifically adding manual playlists adds the album for EVERY track in that playlist and just spams the album view. Apple music does this do.
    01-22-2020 07:24 AM
    Amazon Music is pretty good, I do not like the album management though, specifically adding manual playlists adds the album for EVERY track in that playlist and just spams the album view. Apple music does this do.
    Yeah, albums and the interface is very simplistic. However, I'm leaning towards switching to Amazon Music HD full time and dumping Spotify. Sound quality so much better. Nearly every song I look for is HD, and everything recent or a classic album is Ultra. Plus, I love how the song lyrics are far better implemented than Spotify.

Only thing Spotify has that I might miss is the crossfade function. I rather songs in my playlist blend for a few seconds rather than the cold ending, wait, then next song. Great for parties or when friends are over.
    01-22-2020 08:04 PM
34 12