Face Unlock worked fine for 3 months on my 4XL until last week. Kept getting notifications to reenroll face data. So I did and now it doesn't work at all. "Can't Verify Face, Please Try Again." I've deleted and reentered face data 3 times. Restared phone. Anyone else have this issue?
    01-09-2020 05:46 AM
    This appears to be a widespread problem and the only solution that currently works is a factory reset
    01-09-2020 09:55 AM
    Yeah some are having this issue , maybe try to reach out to Google .
    01-09-2020 10:13 AM
    01-09-2020 04:16 PM
    hahaha! oh google, awful
    01-09-2020 04:31 PM
    hahaha! oh google, awful
    I'm glad mines ok so far , anything with yours ?
    01-09-2020 04:34 PM
    Personally no issues with face unlock on my 4 XL !!!
    01-10-2020 12:03 AM
    Mine is hit and miss
    01-11-2020 10:46 AM
    I'm still super impressed with face unlock on my 4xl. Very fast and it works regardless of which pair of glasses I'm wearing (or no glasses at all). It occasionally asks me to put in my PIN for security but I'm fine with that.
    hub1 likes this.
    01-11-2020 12:21 PM
    Factory reset fixed it but it's an unnecessary PITA.
    01-12-2020 06:11 PM
    I haven't had any issues with Face Unlock until today when my phone wouldn't open and instead kept giving me an error message about not recognizing my face. I tried dumping and resetting Face Unlock but got the same error message after about an hour's time. I've disabled FU until Google fixes whatever they managed to break. So for now the key question is whether "FU" is an accidentally ironic or merely appropriate set of initials for this feature.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    01-12-2020 10:03 PM
    This problem reared its ugly head on my phone today. I'm just ignoring the notification for now. Google doesn't allow turning off notifications for face unlock, but I've made it silent and minimized it, so it's as unobtrusive as possible. Face unlock still works for now, so we'll see how long it lasts. I'm hoping they include a fix for this in the February security patch, but not holding my breath. It's pretty ridiculous that only 3 months into the release of the phone they have already created a problem that at this point has no other resolution besides a factory reset. Never had this issue with the fingerprint sensor on my Pixel 1, 2, or 3.
    01-20-2020 07:16 PM
    This problem reared its ugly head on my phone today. I'm just ignoring the notification for now. Google doesn't allow turning off notifications for face unlock, but I've made it silent and minimized it, so it's as unobtrusive as possible. Face unlock still works for now, so we'll see how long it lasts. I'm hoping they include a fix for this in the February security patch, but not holding my breath. It's pretty ridiculous that only 3 months into the release of the phone they have already created a problem that at this point has no other resolution besides a factory reset. Never had this issue with the fingerprint sensor on my Pixel 1, 2, or 3.
    TBH, I got FU back by doing without any sort of screen lock for a couple of days and then resetting my PIN and rescanning my face. Still a dopey thing to have to do, but simpler than a factory reset for me.
    01-21-2020 07:18 AM
    TBH, I got FU back by doing without any sort of screen lock for a couple of days and then resetting my PIN and rescanning my face. Still a dopey thing to have to do, but simpler than a factory reset for me.
    Thanks for the tip. I may give that a try. I don't want to hassle with a factory reset. Right now the silent notification doesn't really bother me and face unlock still works. We'll see how it goes.
    01-21-2020 09:10 AM
    hahaha! oh google, awful
    Face it
    J Dubbs likes this.
    01-21-2020 07:10 PM
    Ugh, woke up this morning with the message to redo face unlock setup and I knew from reading this thread what this was all about. I went ahead and tried to redo the setup because the message kept appearing no matter how many times I would swipe it away so I did and now it doesn't ever recognize me so I'm just going to leave FU off until I hear they've fixed it and just go with the old pin unlock for now. BTW I've been dealing with getting about Ten 1-800 calls a day, blocking every single one but I still get new ones. Starting to go a bit insane I think it's time to look into a phone block app.
    01-23-2020 11:44 AM
    Hello all. My face unlock on my Pixel 4XL just stopped working this morning. Initially, I got a message that face unlock might stop working and to register my face. Face unlock kept working, however, I continued to get that message so I deleted my face data and went threw the process to register my face again. Did it twice and the phone said I was successful. But I keep getting a message that my phone can't verify my face and to try again. I've cleaned off the front of the phone so I don't think anything is inhibiting the sensors from working. I've also restarted my phone a few times to no avail. Any advice would be appreciated. I can still unlock my phone with my PIN but cannot get face unlock to function. Anyone else have this issue? Thanks for your help.
    02-03-2020 11:16 AM
    [I merged your thread here to avoid duplicates] @Beachboy63
    02-03-2020 12:26 PM
    Thank you. I didn't see the earlier thread..... My bad.
    [I merged your thread here to avoid duplicates] @Beachboy63
    mustang7757 likes this.
    02-03-2020 12:48 PM
    Thank you. I didn't see the earlier thread..... My bad.
    No problem, welcome!
    02-03-2020 01:05 PM
    I just got the February Security update and I had my fingers crossed they would work in a stealth 'face unlock' fix but nope. To be honest the lack of face unlock is honestly driving me crazy, at first I didn't want to factory reset my phone because that's a big inconvenience and it reminds me of back in the day when I owned a Samsung Vibrant and had to factory reset my phone once a month but I guess I have to do it and part of me is so mad that Google didn't include a GD fingerprint sensor on this phone for this very reason!!! I thought we were past this people!
    02-04-2020 03:50 PM
    I didn't want to factory reset either but doing so fixed the problem. It's definitely inconvenient so I'm hoping the issues doesn't return. So far, so good.
    I just got the February Security update and I had my fingers crossed they would work in a stealth 'face unlock' fix but nope. To be honest the lack of face unlock is honestly driving me crazy, at first I didn't want to factory reset my phone because that's a big inconvenience and it reminds me of back in the day when I owned a Samsung Vibrant and had to factory reset my phone once a month but I guess I have to do it and part of me is so mad that Google didn't include a GD fingerprint sensor on this phone for this very reason!!! I thought we were past this people!
    02-05-2020 06:57 PM
    I didn't want to factory reset either but doing so fixed the problem. It's definitely inconvenient so I'm hoping the issues doesn't return. So far, so good.
    When I switched from my Pixel 2XL to the 4XL it transferred all of my apps and even saved all of my text history etc. Is there a way to factory reset the Pixel 4XL and keep all of that? Will going to the backup settings and hitting the 'back up now' button ensure I keep everything before I reset?
    02-06-2020 06:42 PM
    Use an app called SMS backup and restore before you reset and it will save your messages and phone logs. Make sure you connect it to Google Drive to backup to that or copy the backup folder into Google Drive. When you reset you will need to install the app again to restore your backup. This has been a lifesaver for me.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...SBackupRestore

The rest should backup if you hit "backup now" in system settings.

Make sure your photos are backed up to Google Photos or use a usb drive with the adapter from your original pixel box. Backup any files using the Files app to this flash drive. Or backup the folders on your phone to Google Drive. To see your internal storage in the files app click on the 3 dots on the top right in the files app. Select "show internal storageā€

Then you should be ok to reset. I reset my phone a few days ago and those backups meant I didn't lose any data.

Good luckFace Unlock Not Working - "Can't Verify Face"-screenshot_20200207-140559.jpeg
    02-07-2020 08:06 AM
    Oh here is a screenshot of folders you may find in your internal storage. Obviously I have different apps. But check inside each folder for any backups and make new backups in apps before you reset to save the latest data.

Good luckFace Unlock Not Working - "Can't Verify Face"-screenshot_20200207-140710.jpeg
    02-07-2020 08:08 AM