Giving up on the Pixel 4XL

Nikholas Pappas

May 14, 2019
Visit site
Gave the Pixel 4xl 5 weeks to convince me, but I am going back to OnePlus. Here are my issues.

-No Finger Print reader. This would not be a big issue if more apps worked with the face recognition. But constantly having to either enter my password or use my password manager is really grating.

-Dual Sim Management. I use 2 sim cards and I understand this is not a widespread issue. But, There is no one touch data switch on the Pixel, and you cannot deactivate the physical sim in software, you must remove it. This sucks.

-Battery life. While the oneplus is no long life master, the Pixel does a terrible job getting me through the day.

-Charging speed. Just not fast enough on the Pixel.

-No Wide Angle lens. Did not realize how much I would miss that, but On my recent vacation I found myself missing it.

-Lag. Within the first couple days I noticed lag on the Pixel 4xl and I could not believe it. Shouldn't be a RAM issue with 6GB, so who knows.

-Storage. 128GB is just not enough without expandable storage for my use.

So I ordered a Oneplus 7tPro and it will be here Thursday

dtones39

Jul 1, 2017
Visit site
I just ordered a Note 10+ 5G, I've always wanted to try a note out but haven't yet and I'm already bored of the P4 XL. Really love the 90hz display but that is about it. Anyone else go from a pixel 4 to note 10+?

Peter Scooze

Dec 18, 2019
Visit site
I just ordered a Note 10+ 5G, I've always wanted to try a note out but haven't yet and I'm already bored of the P4 XL. Really love the 90hz display but that is about it. Anyone else go from a pixel 4 to note 10+?

I have a note 10+ that i got in an emergency before i went on a two week trip. my new pixel 4xl broke down twice and got repaired twice before Google would replace it and i wouldn't have gotten the pixel back in time for my trip. Was never a Samsung fan but gotta say i absolutely love the note 10+. Its an amazing phone. U wont be disappointed

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I love my pixel 4 xl and the pixel 4 xl has been nothing but amazing for me. I get 6-7 hours of SOT on average with my usage and does everything I need. I do wish more apps supported face ID but I know this will change probably not while i own the p4 bc it will probably take like 2 years for developers to hop on board. Regardless my experience has been fantastic.

Your points are valid use cases and it does seem like the one plus will be a better fit for you. Good luck.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I love my pixel 4 xl and the pixel 4 xl has been nothing but amazing for me. I get 6-7 hours of SOT on average with my usage and does everything I need. I do wish more apps supported face ID but I know this will change probably not while i own the p4 bc it will probably take like 2 years for developers to hop on board. Regardless my experience has been fantastic.

Your points are valid use cases and it does seem like the one plus will be a better fit for you. Good luck.
Same , runs extremely well.. battery life a day like with my 1+7pro with 90hz all the time

Peter Scooze

Dec 18, 2019
Visit site

Definitely agree on that. Never used a one plus so cant comment. Just use my pixel and now note 10 for videos.

dtones39

Jul 1, 2017
Visit site
I was messing with it at Best Buy and the screen is amazing, also got the 5G in hopes I get better service in my building.
I have a note 10+ that i got in an emergency before i went on a two week trip. my new pixel 4xl broke down twice and got repaired twice before Google would replace it and i wouldn't have gotten the pixel back in time for my trip. Was never a Samsung fan but gotta say i absolutely love the note 10+. Its an amazing phone. U wont be disappointed

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a wide variation in comments on a phone in my life.

The battery sucks.
The battery is great.

The face detection doesn’t work well.
The face detection works perfectly.

I seem to believe it’s somewhere in the middle. As others have said we all have to find what works best for us.

Peter Scooze

Dec 18, 2019
Visit site
I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a wide variation in comments on a phone in my life.

The battery sucks.
The battery is great.

I seem to believe it’s somewhere in the middle. As others have said we all have to find what works best for us.

Agreed its all about personal preference. I see ppl though defending there choice so hard they bash everyone else who uses something different. Everyone has different experiences with different phones due to needs. The truth is there's so many great phones to choose from. no choice is wrong if it works for u.

nikholaspappas

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site

The battery sucks.
The battery is great.

To be clear, the face detection works perfectly well for me. The problem is that there are not many apps that accept the face unlock as a valid credential. So when you open the app, it does not even prompt you for face unlock, you simply must put in your password.

subguy812

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
I would never question why someone likes or dislikes anything as it is always subjective. However, I would question why folks have to regularly come on a thread dedicated to the device they are dropping to let everyone else know that

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I would never question why someone likes or dislikes anything as it is always subjective. However, I would question why folks have to regularly come on a thread dedicated to the device they are dropping to let everyone else know that

I don't find anything wrong with someone creating a thread or posting in a thread that they are dropping device. It opens up discussion and as long as it doesn't become a bash thread and remains civil I'm ok with it.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Agreed its all about personal preference. I see ppl though defending there choice so hard they bash everyone else who uses something different. Everyone has different experiences with different phones due to needs. The truth is there's so many great phones to choose from. no choice is wrong if it works for u.

The battery sucks.
The battery is great.

Agreed! I see both ends of the spectrum. I mean I will say this much, application support for the fingerprint scanner versus fish recognition is going to be different. Facial recognition on the pixel fours is brand new. Developers have to recode the application to support facial recognition on pixel 4. I will say that the fingerprint scanner in my 3XL is fast and secure. What more could you possibly want from it? As far as the other issues with the Pixel 4 XL. The only other main issue I could possibly think of unless you're a power user the battery. Most people I would just get about a day or so a battery out of the four XL though. I mean sure, OnePlus phones have more stock customization than Pixel phones do. So does Samsung Galaxy. And yes, no 10 phones just got Android 10. It's all about the clean user experience. At the end of the day , all about what you want That's it!

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Agreed! I see both ends of the spectrum. I mean I will say this much, application support for the fingerprint scanner versus fish recognition is going to be different.........

I think fish recognition is a great feature. I sometimes have trouble determining the difference between a fluke and a flounder.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site

Attachments

• 70.jpg
    70.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 91

nikholaspappas

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site

Perhaps there are other people like me who, before they buy a phone, read through forums to see the pros and cons others have experienced before making a purchase.

nikholaspappas

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Another quick issue to point out, the really cool new Google Assistant that comes with the pixel 4 does not work if you are using an Enterprise GSuite account, like for work or school. It reverts back to the standard assistant.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sem173