Giving up on the Pixel 4XL

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I think a mobile phone is a personal choice. We all have different use cases and different phones offer different experiences. Face ID is a bit hit and miss for me and I have suffered with lag. But on the whole I love my Pixel 4xl. Samsung just offers too much compromise for me and I love the simplicity of my phone. The camera is amazing and I spend a lot of time taking photos of my cats. The screen is great and I run mind on 90Hz all the time. Battery life varies but I am at home all day and have a pixel stand to charge it.

I would love a Note or an S10 but I will not buy a phone with an Exynos chip. And I don't like the curved screen too much. I also don't like the Samsung apps and I use the pixel specific extras. I would miss them.

I used Button Mapper to allow me to activate the assistant when the screen is off with a gesture. I love the new assistant and I like the face ID even though it can be hit and miss.

But these are my preferences and won't be the same for other people.

subguy812

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
I don't find anything wrong with someone creating a thread or posting in a thread that they are dropping device. It opens up discussion and as long as it doesn't become a bash thread and remains civil I'm ok with it.

You are right this has not been as rampant as in other threads in the past. Since December there have only been three threads letting everyone here know that they have made a personal decision and switched their phones. Mike because you think it is okay is why it will continue. Threads like this never shine new light on anything, they only make everyone chime in to say their battery is okay and they have no lag. All of the reasons cited are regurgitated discussions of prior postings and most were known prior to purchase. It has as much relevance as me going on the Tesla site and stating I sold my Tesla for a Chevy because the Tesla is electric.

-No Finger Print reader. This would not be a big issue if more apps worked with the face recognition. But constantly having to either enter my password or use my password manager is really grating. * Obvious prior to purchase*

-Battery life. While the oneplus is no long life master, the Pixel does a terrible job getting me through the day. *Ad Nauseum*

-Charging speed. Just not fast enough on the Pixel. *Preference*

-No Wide Angle lens. Did not realize how much I would miss that, but On my recent vacation I found myself missing it. *Ad Nauseum, obvious pre-purchase*

-Lag. Within the first couple days I noticed lag on the Pixel 4xl and I could not believe it. Shouldn't be a RAM issue with 6GB, so who knows. *Might have merit*

-Storage. 128GB is just not enough without expandable storage for my use. *Knew that going in*

So I ordered a Oneplus 7tPro and it will be here Thursday *No relevance*

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site

I thought the same exact thing.
These threads annoy the Hell out of me. This is all knowledge, so it leads me to believe these folks

A> Never bought the phone, but want to troll.
B> Bought the phone just to say they did, then take it back, then bash it.

I legit, don't get it.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
You are right this has not been as rampant as in other threads in the past. Since December there have only been three threads letting everyone here know that they have made a personal decision and switched their phones. Mike because you think it is okay is why it will continue. Threads like this never shine new light on anything, they only make everyone chime in to say their battery is okay and they have no lag. All of the reasons cited are regurgitated discussions of prior postings and most were known prior to purchase. It has as much relevance as me going on the Tesla site and stating I sold my Tesla for a Chevy because the Tesla is electric.

-No Finger Print reader. This would not be a big issue if more apps worked with the face recognition. But constantly having to either enter my password or use my password manager is really grating. * Obvious prior to purchase*

-Battery life. While the oneplus is no long life master, the Pixel does a terrible job getting me through the day. *Ad Nauseum*

-No Wide Angle lens. Did not realize how much I would miss that, but On my recent vacation I found myself missing it. *Ad Nauseum, obvious pre-purchase*

-Lag. Within the first couple days I noticed lag on the Pixel 4xl and I could not believe it. Shouldn't be a RAM issue with 6GB, so who knows. *Might have merit*

-Storage. 128GB is just not enough without expandable storage for my use. *Knew that going in*

Threads don't continue because anyone thinks they are OK. They continue because people want to engage in discussion and all is fair as long as topics and content stay within the forum rules. It's not for me or anyone else to decide which are OK to create. There are plenty of topics that don't need to be regurgitated, but we aren't going to solve that here.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I thought the same exact thing.
These threads annoy the Hell out of me. This is all knowledge, so it leads me to believe these folks

A> Never bought the phone, but want to troll.
B> Bought the phone just to say they did, then take it back, then bash it.

I legit, don't get it.
If a thread annoys me I simply don't particpate.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
From reading reviews on the pixel4 I would definitely not purchase one. This has to be the worst pixel to date Google needs to step up and fix these issues ASAP especially what the device cost to purchase.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
From reading reviews on the pixel4 I would definitely not purchase one. This has to be the worst pixel to date Google needs to step up and fix these issues ASAP especially what the device cost to purchase.
Unfortunately, even though I absolutely love Google Pixel phones, I must agree with you to an extent on your opinion. I love my 3XL, but there are so many wavering opinions on both sides of the spectrum regarding the phone...

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
What specifically do feel makes it the worst Pixel based on the reviews you've read?

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Mine works great for me :

No FPS = No problem . I knew that before I bought it.

Battery Life = gets me though my day without having to recharge .

Charging Speeds = chargers pretty fast for me ,,way lots faster then my Xr does

Wide Angle Lens = no problem knew that before I bought it . I would have been nice, but not a deal breaker

Lag = What lag ?? I dont have any

Storage = Again I knew what that was before I bought it

I don't really solely on YouTubers as experts on phones. NO way would I use their "expert advice" :D alone to purchase any phone.

I do read and review what is being said from various places , others who own it before I ( but usually I order on launch day so not to many do )

Also I agree with "get what you like, not just what others like" either. Everyone is different nothing wrong with that

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Wide Angle Lens = no problem knew that before I bought it . I would have been nice, but not a deal breaker

I don't really solely on YouTubers as experts on phones. NO way would I use their "expert advice" :D alone to purchase any phone.

I do read and review what is being said from various places , others who own it before I ( but usually I order on launch day so not to many do )

Also I agree with "get what you like, not just what others like" either. Everyone is different nothing wrong with that
I agree , same here

Last edited by a moderator:

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site

I agree with this. Have had a couple of issues but I don't regret buying my phone. The lag went with a reboot and the face unlock can be spotty but again it isn't a deal breaker.

I bought the Pixel in spite of the reviews and I am glad I did. I love my Pixel 2XL but the 4XL is a definite upgrade. And that is why I am happy with it.

Nikholas Pappas

May 14, 2019
Visit site

Yes, the fingerprint reader was known going in to the purchase, but then, who would have thought 3 months later that apps still would not be updated to use Face ID?

Faster charging is a preference? I think everyone would prefer to have something charge faster rather than slower

Yes it is obvious it didn't have a wide angle lens, but as I said, I did not realize how much I would miss it until I didnt have it. Food for though.

What I am choosing over the pixel might have relevance to anyone considering buying a new pixel and reading this thread.

And what about my addition that the New assistant does not work if you use GSuite? Is that common knowledge?

Nikholas Pappas

May 14, 2019
Visit site

Again, I don't have a problem with not having a fingerprint reader. I have a problem with not being able to use the FaceID to authenticate in apps.

For your XR, Are you using the 5 Watt charger it comes with? The Xr is capable of charging at 18w just like the Pixel 4. Downside is you need to buy a USB-C to lightning cable and have an 18w capable charger to go with it. But when using an 18w Charger, charging speed on the Xr should be on Par with the Pixel 4

Lag. There are times(Not constantly but a couple times a day) when I will tap to open an app and .5 to 2 whole seconds will go by before it opens. Same to some extent going through menus where I will get .5-1.5 second lags. Maybe It is just isolated to me if you never experience anything like this.

All of my qualms with this stem from previous experience with a phone that I didn't have any of these issues.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Again, I don't have a problem with not having a fingerprint reader. I have a problem with not being able to use the FaceID to authenticate in apps.

For your XR, Are you using the 5 Watt charger it comes with? The Xr is capable of charging at 18w just like the Pixel 4. Downside is you need to buy a USB-C to lightning cable and have an 18w capable charger to go with it. But when using an 18w Charger, charging speed on the Xr should be on Par with the Pixel 4

Lag. There are times(Not constantly but a couple times a day) when I will tap to open an app and .5 to 2 whole seconds will go by before it opens. Same to some extent going through menus where I will get .5-1.5 second lags. Maybe It is just isolated to me if you never experience anything like this.

All of my qualms with this stem from previous experience with a phone that I didn't have any of these issues.

Yes on the Xr being slower charging. That was meant to mean, as to the accessories which come in the box with the phone.

And what about my addition that the New assistant does not work if you use GSuite? Is that common knowledge?

I read that somewhere , so yeah I knew that as well.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

For that lag you should monitor it in safe mode , most likely was a app issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC