Giving up on the Pixel 4XL

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I just ordered a Note 10+ 5G, I've always wanted to try a note out but haven't yet and I'm already bored of the P4 XL. Really love the 90hz display but that is about it. Anyone else go from a pixel 4 to note 10+?

Yes, beyond the camera being frustratingly inconsistent, the Note 10+ is a fantastic phone.

dtones39

Jul 1, 2017
Visit site
Got the Note delivered 2 days ago and I am absolutely loving it! Truly the most excited I've been with a phone for a very long time and I get a lot of phones. I've had every iteration of the iPhone and the Pixel lines, every other s10 but never had a note. Never having a note could have a lot of that impact but it really feels like a new phone. Love the squared off design, I really hate that every phone is rounded these days. One thing I dislike is the curved display, having a flat display like the P4. Really glad I bought it, my P4 is most likely getting sold.
Yes, beyond the camera being frustratingly inconsistent, the Note 10+ is a fantastic phone.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
To be clear, the face detection works perfectly well for me. The problem is that there are not many apps that accept the face unlock as a valid credential. So when you open the app, it does not even prompt you for face unlock, you simply must put in your password.

And, even after using the 4XL for - what is it, three months now? - I still find that I unintentionally unlock it multiple times daily. Of course, that never happened with my 3XL, whose fingerprint sensor I found to be perfectly positioned and perfectly functional.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm so sorry the Pixel 4 didn't meet your needs! It would bother me too, about the lack of fingerprint scanner and battery life. Which OP device did you go to?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I don't see why Google couldn't have handled this with a simple update to the security API. No need to bother the application developers at all.
Seems like in this case hardware technology is outpacing software adaptation. It's a shame that there is this much of a disconnect between the interested parties.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Honestly, I don't see why Google couldn't have handled this with a simple update to the security API. No need to bother the application developers at all.
Security would be a huge concern and liability for banks and other organizations. Doubtful that they would give up the reigns to someone else without it being vetted.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Security would be a huge concern and liability for banks and other organizations. Doubtful that they would give up the reigns to someone else without it being vetted.

Google, by giving the Pixel 4 face unlock but no fingerprint sensor, has effectively determined that the two methods are biometrically equivalent. That being the case, they should have simply fixed the API so that any call for biometric authentication would use whichever hardware is available on the specific device the app is running on.

Doing it that way would force developers to opt out of biometric authentication entirely, if that's what they wanted to do.

Optionally, the API could add a parameter to specify biometric fingerprint authentication (let's call it option 1), faceunlock (option 2), or "any" (option 0) with option 0 being the default mode. Existing apps would default to "any" (option 0) and developers would be more inclined to get off their collective butts and update their apps if they wanted something different.

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
FPS would have been nice but I'm very use and accustomed to the Face Unlock which has performed great FOR ME. I've had no issues with my P4XL, battery life has exceeded my expectations and it's a joy to use every single day. The beauty of Android is choice, so to each its own.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
FPS would have been nice but I'm very use and accustomed to the Face Unlock which has performed great FOR ME. I've had no issues with my P4XL, battery life has exceeded my expectations and it's a joy to use every single day. The beauty of Android is choice, so to each its own.
Agree , same here.

bigmatt503

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I've been using nexus/pixel phones for a long time and have tried Samsung, LG and moto. For whatever reason I always return to the latest Google phone. Some say stock android is boring and lacking features. I will admit, I do miss the screen on the note series.
Maybe it's boring and specs are a bit lower than the others. I'm just hooked on the simplicity.
Use what you like and try not to let the people around you decide you use.
Bye for now

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Google, by giving the Pixel 4 face unlock but no fingerprint sensor, has effectively determined that the two methods are biometrically equivalent. That being the case, they should have simply fixed the API so that any call for biometric authentication would use whichever hardware is available on the specific device the app is running on.

Doing it that way would force developers to opt out of biometric authentication entirely, if that's what they wanted to do.

Optionally, the API could add a parameter to specify biometric fingerprint authentication (let's call it option 1), faceunlock (option 2), or "any" (option 0) with option 0 being the default mode. Existing apps would default to "any" (option 0) and developers would be more inclined to get off their collective butts and update their apps if they wanted something different.
I don't think it's all that simple.

nikholaspappas

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site

Does the Face Unlock work on all your apps?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463