Pixel-Smartcard NFC proximity conflict

alan warren

Jan 23, 2020
Visit site
I finally set up Google Pay on my Pixel 4 XL and it works like a charm (great for NYC Subway fare!). So then I tried setting it up on my wife's new Pixel 4 and it started getting a persistent NFC error toast (and tone). After much headscratching, realized that she had a NFC-capable contactless credit card in a sleeve on the back of her phone (which yes, also interferes with her using wireless charging :( ). Took the credit card out, warnings cease. Bring it back up to the back of the phone... toast.

Ideal for me would be able to go into NFC settings on the phone and tell it to ignore that card-id. But she still might have a conflict when trying to use the phone (accidentally picking up the card instead). Then thought about a smartphone credit card sleeve that was a shielding mesh that isolated the credit card unless you pulled it out.

Anyone else seen this? Any bright ideas??

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi , Welcome!

It's certainly possible some cases can create issues with what your describing , best to keep cc things like that in pocket ,purse, wallet . As you already set up Google pay they should be tucked away safe.