Have Google News? Check mobile data usage!

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I was shocked to find that the Google News app has already used multiple gigabytes of mobile data on my 4 XL, just one-third into the current billing cycle, even though I have it set to "Download via Wi-fi only". Now I know why our two phones combined used more than 10 times the usual mobile data during the previous billing cycle.

I've read that this was a known bug a few years ago ( https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/22/18011028/google-news-app-bug-background-data-overage-charge ) but would like to think it had been resolved.

I uninstalled and then re-installed the app last night and I can see an immediate leveling off of mobile data usage. I'll be keeping a close eye on it now.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I was shocked to find that the Google News app has already used multiple gigabytes of mobile data on my 4 XL, just one-third into the current billing cycle, even though I have it set to "Download via Wi-fi only". Now I know why our two phones combined used more than 10 times the usual mobile data during the previous billing cycle.

I've read that this was a known bug a few years ago ( https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/22/18011028/google-news-app-bug-background-data-overage-charge ) but would like to think it had been resolved.

I uninstalled and then re-installed the app last night and I can see an immediate leveling off of mobile data usage. I'll be keeping a close eye on it now.
that's crazy. I use my Google news feed heavily and hardly any usage. I work from home and typically connected to WiFi so that helps but when I go out I constantly still view it and never ran into an issue. Are you on Google fi? If so contact Google they are usually pretty good at giving credit back. I had an issue where google photos used like 1.2 gb one afternoon just because I was view wallpapers on my wallpaper album (mobile wallpapers) only like 50-800 KB each. Google ended up refunding me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol