02-17-2020 10:05 PM
73 123
tools
    Yep. Sincerely hope it's not the one picked, but also not very hopeful the other two designs would be much better.

Samsung has out engineered Google in nearly every way with the S20. The regular S20 is smaller in every direction -- width, height, and thickness -- yet manages to get in more cameras, a much larger battery, and only a .1" smaller screen when compared to the Pixel 4 XL.

I don't understand what Google is doing here. They've had four+ years to mature their design, and they're just not goin there. I own the 4 XL and it looks and feels fine, but no question Google can do better in so many areas.

Pixel 5 rumor mill is not off to a promising start.
    Sounds like Samsung might be a better fit for you as you seem to only care about aesthetics. Which is totally fine, but there's more to phones and computers than just the way they look. So to say Samsung is "out engineering" Google is a bit funny.

I agree Google can do better when it comes to the design and physical componentry of their phones. But the advances they made and are making with their software is infinitely more important than just jamming more crap into a box.
    Ben_70 likes this.
    02-14-2020 05:46 PM
    Honestly, Samsung might be fast now, but they would never fast with software updates in the past lol just saying. That's funny nickname you give to Samsung is hilarious though!
    You've never heard Samsuck before? Lol
    02-14-2020 05:46 PM
    When my wife and I left Samsung after the S3, we felt like we had never even used Android before. Like a dummy, we got back in with the S6, since cases and accessories could be had everywhere you went.

That phone SUCKED. When the 9's came out, we looked again, since I had heard of this new UI.

it's not new, it's just TouchWhiz, with a new name. The messenger is still ugly, the samsung apps are still there. The store is still there. This themer was added. Sure, you get the option to remove it, but the size of the install was still huge.

Samsuck is still just Samsuck.
    Haha Touche Touche! When I had my Verizon Galaxy s8, not only was it stuck on Oreo 8.0, but everything got sluggish very quickly and I had to tweak the entire system just to make it seem fast even though it wasn't. Maybe Samsung's improved things since then, but I don't believe they have.
    02-14-2020 05:51 PM
    [QUOTE=eric002;6738008]Haha Touche Touche! When I had my Verizon Galaxy s8, not only was it stuck on Oreo 8.0, but everything got sluggish very quickly and I had to tweak the entire system just to make it seem fast even though it wasn't. Maybe Samsung's improved things since then, but I don't believe they have.[/QUOTE @Mike Dee is proof , converted lg/pixel user
    eric002 likes this.
    02-14-2020 05:55 PM
    Double the price for an equal, if not worse camera.
    eric002 likes this.
    02-14-2020 06:12 PM
    Double the price for an equal, if not worse camera.
    We dont know if the Samsung camera is better, equal or worse, but here's what we do know. When the Pixels were released they weren't half the price of the Samsungs even comparing the lowest Price Pixel to the highest priced S20. If your intent was comparing the current Pixel reduced prices to the just released S20 prices, even then you should compare comparable models.
    02-14-2020 08:47 PM
    Getting the Ultra but my 4 XL isn't going anywhere

Only the 5 XL can replace it.
    LordAndroid likes this.
    02-15-2020 02:11 AM
    Getting the Ultra but my 4 XL isn't going anywhere

Only the 5 XL can replace it.
    Well see there you go! I mean Nexus phones sucked with cameras and photos. They were horrible. Google into that to do something better with the pixel lines so they did. I mean the hardware for a pixel cameras isn't better it's just that the machine learning and the image processing is way better. I mean I also don't agree with all these flagship prices but we shall see what happens with the Pixel 5s when they are released this year.
    02-15-2020 09:08 AM
    My Pixel 4 XL is my first Pixel phone. I migrated from the Moto Z Force Droid and a long history with Motorola phones. My Pixel is there best phone I've had to date as it relates to both hardware and software. I do miss some of Moto's unique and very useful software tweaks (Moto Display) and the mods. I've had no issue with battery life.

My concern with early generation 5G phones is battery consumption. Hopefully by the time I get my next phone the 5G radios will be more energy efficient and that there is actually a 5G network to use.
    02-15-2020 12:55 PM
    My Pixel 4 XL is my first Pixel phone. I migrated from the Moto Z Force Droid and a long history with Motorola phones. My Pixel is there best phone I've had to date as it relates to both hardware and software. I do miss some of Moto's unique and very useful software tweaks (Moto Display) and the mods. I've had no issue with battery life.

My concern with early generation 5G phones is battery consumption. Hopefully by the time I get my next phone the 5G radios will be more energy efficient and that there is actually a 5G network to use.
    Completely agreed. Even from my Nexus days my pixel build quality is better. keeping looking at the Pixel 4s but there's no incentive to buy it. I'm waiting for the Pixel 5s at this point like everyone else's.
    02-15-2020 12:57 PM
    Samsung is offering $600 trade in for the Pixel 4. $300 for the Pixel 3.

I'm definitely moving on to Samsung. Wide angle, 100x zoom, fingerprint sensor and facial recognition, flatter screens finally (hated the curved), gobs of ram and storage, etc. Plus, I already have a new Samsung Tab S6, samsung watch, and samsung buds. I'm not some sort of Samsung fanboy, but they just hit all the right buttons on all my device choices.
    LordAndroid likes this.
    02-15-2020 06:16 PM
    I always think it's interesting when other smartphones are compared to the Nexus/Pixel line. I never compare specs with the Pixel because I don't think that the specs tell the whole story. It's about the user experience. When I use my Pixel 4 XL everything is fluid. Everything works together. Everything makes sense. The camera doesn't have the specs as some other smartphones, but the picture quality is amazing and the ease of using the Pixel camera app is refreshing. The software experience is far better than any other device I have ever used. So, without looking at a specs sheet and just using the phone, the Pixel 4 XL has a better experience for me. And it's worth every penny.
    This.

The Pixel isn't about flexing design or spec lists. It's about overall experience. I can say that my Pixel 4 as been the best Android Phone I've ever used. I had an S10 for a while, and it was a nice phone. But I kept going back to my Pixel (at the time Pixel 3).

Hilariously, I pre-ordered the S20. So I'll be able to compare it with my Pixel 4. We'll see if it can impress me enough to knock the Pixel 4 off as my daily driver. I doubt it...
    cwbcpa likes this.
    02-15-2020 06:47 PM
    This.

The Pixel isn't about flexing design or spec lists. It's about overall experience. I can say that my Pixel 4 as been the best Android Phone I've ever used. I had an S10 for a while, and it was a nice phone. But I kept going back to my Pixel (at the time Pixel 3).

Hilariously, I pre-ordered the S20. So I'll be able to compare it with my Pixel 4. We'll see if it can impress me enough to knock the Pixel 4 off as my daily driver. I doubt it...
    Yes, for sure! Best software experience ever! It's not always a spec game. People just don't realize that sometimes.
    cwbcpa likes this.
    02-15-2020 06:50 PM

I'm definitely moving on to Samsung. Wide angle, 100x zoom, fingerprint sensor and facial recognition, flatter screens finally (hated the curved), gobs of ram and storage, etc. Plus, I already have a new Samsung Tab S6, samsung watch, and samsung buds. I'm not some sort of Samsung fanboy, but they just hit all the right buttons on all my device choices.
    They make good stuff
    02-15-2020 11:06 PM

I also have tab s6 and Samsung Buds. I know what you mean. 2 amazing products. Running pixel 3 XL for my phone but only because of that unlimited full resolution pic and video storage. Probably switch to Sammy next year
    02-15-2020 11:50 PM
    I also have tab s6 and Samsung Buds. I know what you mean. 2 amazing products. Running pixel 3 XL for my phone but only because of that unlimited full resolution pic and video storage. Probably switch to Sammy next year
    The unlimited photo deal is not all that great. It's a $19/year perk. I went ahead an purchased the online data storage from Google because I have so many photos on storage drives, my computer, and drone I didn't want to go through the hassle of flowing that through my phone.
    02-16-2020 02:17 AM
    The unlimited photo deal is not all that great. It's a $19/year perk. I went ahead an purchased the online data storage from Google because I have so many photos on storage drives, my computer, and drone I didn't want to go through the hassle of flowing that through my phone.
    Yeah, too many hang their hat on the unlimited photo storage.p
    02-16-2020 11:04 AM
    Yeah, too many hang their hat on the unlimited photo storage.p
    Ha? $19 a year? Where are you getting that? I have just over half TB of pictures and videos from my pixel 3 xl and wife pixel 2 xl. I will need the $9.99 a month plan to be able to move to pixel 4 XL and keep uploading full resolution. So of I sign up for the year one, it's a $100 per year.
    02-16-2020 12:28 PM
    Ha? $19 a year? Where are you getting that? I have just over half TB of pictures and videos from my pixel 3 xl and wife pixel 2 xl. I will need the $9.99 a month plan to be able to move to pixel 4 XL and keep uploading full resolution. So of I sign up for the year one, it's a $100 per year.
    That's an very high amount of photos from your phone. The photos are only 4.5mb at full resolution. With 500gb, that's over 100,000 photos. You must be shooting hours of 4k video all the time.
    If you have Amazon Prime, you can also use their photo storage instead. Its unlimited full resolution for photos (but not vids).
    02-16-2020 03:47 PM
    In the end, tempting as the S20 is, I don't feel confident the camera will be on par with the Pixel (except video, of course), and I'm not confident the in-display finger print sensor will be reliable enough for me.

Going to keep holding out on my Pixel 4 XL and see if the 5 adds the things the Pixel needs. I'm talking more battery, more cameras, better video taking -- these are key things the Pixel 5 needs to land.
    02-16-2020 09:46 PM
    Google likes to go against the grain when it comes to the competition. How many years has it been that we have been waiting for a google device to come with things we users can really hang our hat on? If Google gave into the spec game and packed the next pixel with everything including stock Android more units would be sold. But no hence why 4 months into the flag shop device P4 life cycle is almost 50% off. Not holding my breath on the P5 early renders if true are showing an ugly camera hump lol the S20 has a hideous camera module but let's see how the photos stack up with the P5
    02-16-2020 09:56 PM
    That's an very high amount of photos from your phone. The photos are only 4.5mb at full resolution. With 500gb, that's over 100,000 photos. You must be shooting hours of 4k video all the time.
    If you have Amazon Prime, you can also use their photo storage instead. Its unlimited full resolution for photos (but not vids).
    Your math is correct, we have over 80k photos and many videos. My wife pretty much snapping pics and videos of our kids none stop. What can I say, she loves her pixel 2 xl lol.
    02-16-2020 11:03 PM
    The S20’s Ultra is very intriguing and tempting as a device with the implied new advancements they’ve made. I’m very excited to see how it reviews in the real world.
    02-17-2020 10:05 PM
73 123