How does the Samsung release affect your views and/or opinions on the Pixel 4?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
My last was the S6. Several friends have had all of them. They're are vary common.

Does it still have the Samsung Bloatware? If yes, then it's a hard pass.

I hate Samsung Messenger. It's ugly. Samsung app, store? No thank you. Samsung music still comes on it? No. The size of one UI is large because of the Bloatware. That's the issue with One UI.

You can put lipstick on the pig, it's still a pig. One UI is just TouchWhiz trying to remove the stank of being TouchWhiz by, calling it a a new name.

No.

So you really haven't used OneUI. OneUi is not touchwiz regardless of how you feel about it. All devices use a Ui over Android. Even Google is not pure Android these days.

Most devices have some form of bloat and you can usually disable the bloat. Even if you buy a Pixel and prefer third party apps you're in the same boat with Google apps you may not want to use. I dont use most Samsung apps but there are quite a few users who prefer some of the Samsung apps. The whole bloat argument doesnt hold much water these days.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
And I'm sure one UI is a little bit smoother. I just don't believe Samsung with the updates. Google pixels will always get the updates the quickest. And then comes one plus.
Samsung has been providing timely updates and even sometimes beating Google as of late. As an example I downloaded the February patch on Februrary 5th. It was actually available the night before and I'm Unlocked on Verizon. Some carriers got it sooner.Screenshot_20200214-141852_Settings.jpeg

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, as a multi-year Pixel owner, getting "fast updates" from Google doesn't always feel like it's a feature; sometimes it actually feels like I'm a beta tester. Releases can be buggy and have proven to be so in way too many cases.

Samsung has stepped up their update game gradually these past few years, especially for their flagships. They've been up to speed with monthly security updates (as mentioned, sometimes beating Google to the punch) and not only have they been faster with full software updates, they're making calculated additions and tweaks to the software (ala One UI 2).

Samsung is firing on all cylinders. It remains to be seen whether their photography game has really improved this year. And I'm a bit bummed the in-display FPS isn't as reliable or fast. Those two things are what's holding me back... for now.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Honestly, as a multi-year Pixel owner, getting "fast updates" from Google doesn't always feel like it's a feature; sometimes it actually feels like I'm a beta tester. Releases can be buggy and have proven to be so in way too many cases.

Samsung has stepped up their update game gradually these past few years, especially for their flagships. They've been up to speed with monthly security updates (as mentioned, sometimes beating Google to the punch) and not only have they been faster with full software updates, they're making calculated additions and tweaks to the software (ala One UI 2).

Samsung is firing on all cylinders. It remains to be seen whether their photography game has really improved this year. And I'm a bit bummed the in-display FPS isn't as reliable or fast. Those two things are what's holding me back... for now.
All valid points. The FPS works pretty good for me but the inherent drawback for any inscreen FPS regardless of brand is you pretty much have to look at the screen to guarentee correct finger placement. I'm getting better at it but it's hard to beat a capacitive rear mounted capacitive FPS when it comes to blind finger placement. Now of course rear mounted FPS have drawbacks as well but its understandable that some prefer it rear mounted.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

yeah, that's what I've been hearing. I mean for me though, it really comes down to also blow where and wasted useless apps on the phone for example Samsung gallery app, Google photos etc duplicated applications. As far as the software updates go for Samsung finally to get there cards in order so to speak! for pixel Google phones, I love the fact that there aren't any gimmicky features very useful functional logical features. I mean I hope that Samsung Galaxy phones are getting updated quickly. Because they matter people actually buying the Galaxy phones is a lot! They should not be disappointed with lack of software updates in general. I mean not to get too nostalgic here, but I do remember the Google play edition of Samsung Galaxy phones. But what was the point of buying one of those when the Google phones were still available at that time? Lol

I mean don't get me wrong, being a beta tester for Google for software isn't always an enjoyable experience it can't be fun but you have to know what to expect, and be extremely patient with the OS, and applications core applications as to use everyday of your life. I remember when Android 10 was in beta stages, it was very annoying sometimes to use but I dealt with it because I voluntarily signed up for it and it was fun to be on the bleeding edge before anyone else got it.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Samsung is fast, just now and only on a couple devices. I already said I haven't had a Samsuck device since the S6.

As long as it has that ugly messenger, the app store and other bloat, it's a hard pass.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, Samsung might be fast now, but they would never fast with software updates in the past lol just saying. That's funny nickname you give to Samsung is hilarious though!

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
When my wife and I left Samsung after the S3, we felt like we had never even used Android before. Like a dummy, we got back in with the S6, since cases and accessories could be had everywhere you went.

That phone SUCKED. When the 9's came out, we looked again, since I had heard of this new UI.

it's not new, it's just TouchWhiz, with a new name. The messenger is still ugly, the samsung apps are still there. The store is still there. This themer was added. Sure, you get the option to remove it, but the size of the install was still huge.

Samsuck is still just Samsuck.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Yep. Sincerely hope it's not the one picked, but also not very hopeful the other two designs would be much better.

Samsung has out engineered Google in nearly every way with the S20. The regular S20 is smaller in every direction -- width, height, and thickness -- yet manages to get in more cameras, a much larger battery, and only a .1" smaller screen when compared to the Pixel 4 XL.

I don't understand what Google is doing here. They've had four+ years to mature their design, and they're just not goin there. I own the 4 XL and it looks and feels fine, but no question Google can do better in so many areas.

Pixel 5 rumor mill is not off to a promising start.

Sounds like Samsung might be a better fit for you as you seem to only care about aesthetics. Which is totally fine, but there's more to phones and computers than just the way they look. So to say Samsung is "out engineering" Google is a bit funny.

I agree Google can do better when it comes to the design and physical componentry of their phones. But the advances they made and are making with their software is infinitely more important than just jamming more crap into a box.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
When my wife and I left Samsung after the S3, we felt like we had never even used Android before. Like a dummy, we got back in with the S6, since cases and accessories could be had everywhere you went.

That phone SUCKED. When the 9's came out, we looked again, since I had heard of this new UI.

it's not new, it's just TouchWhiz, with a new name. The messenger is still ugly, the samsung apps are still there. The store is still there. This themer was added. Sure, you get the option to remove it, but the size of the install was still huge.

Samsuck is still just Samsuck.
Haha Touche Touche! When I had my Verizon Galaxy s8, not only was it stuck on Oreo 8.0, but everything got sluggish very quickly and I had to tweak the entire system just to make it seem fast even though it wasn't. Maybe Samsung's improved things since then, but I don't believe they have.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Haha Touche Touche! When I had my Verizon Galaxy s8, not only was it stuck on Oreo 8.0, but everything got sluggish very quickly and I had to tweak the entire system just to make it seem fast even though it wasn't. Maybe Samsung's improved things since then, but I don't believe they have.[/QUOTE @Mike Dee is proof , converted lg/pixel user

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Double the price for an equal, if not worse camera.
We dont know if the Samsung camera is better, equal or worse, but here's what we do know. When the Pixels were released they weren't half the price of the Samsungs even comparing the lowest Price Pixel to the highest priced S20. If your intent was comparing the current Pixel reduced prices to the just released S20 prices, even then you should compare comparable models.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Getting the Ultra but my 4 XL isn't going anywhere

Only the 5 XL can replace it.
Well see there you go! I mean Nexus phones sucked with cameras and photos. They were horrible. Google into that to do something better with the pixel lines so they did. I mean the hardware for a pixel cameras isn't better it's just that the machine learning and the image processing is way better. I mean I also don't agree with all these flagship prices but we shall see what happens with the Pixel 5s when they are released this year.

dmgerbino

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
My Pixel 4 XL is my first Pixel phone. I migrated from the Moto Z Force Droid and a long history with Motorola phones. My Pixel is there best phone I've had to date as it relates to both hardware and software. I do miss some of Moto's unique and very useful software tweaks (Moto Display) and the mods. I've had no issue with battery life.

My concern with early generation 5G phones is battery consumption. Hopefully by the time I get my next phone the 5G radios will be more energy efficient and that there is actually a 5G network to use.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
My Pixel 4 XL is my first Pixel phone. I migrated from the Moto Z Force Droid and a long history with Motorola phones. My Pixel is there best phone I've had to date as it relates to both hardware and software. I do miss some of Moto's unique and very useful software tweaks (Moto Display) and the mods. I've had no issue with battery life.

My concern with early generation 5G phones is battery consumption. Hopefully by the time I get my next phone the 5G radios will be more energy efficient and that there is actually a 5G network to use.
Completely agreed. Even from my Nexus days my pixel build quality is better. keeping looking at the Pixel 4s but there's no incentive to buy it. I'm waiting for the Pixel 5s at this point like everyone else's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair