How does the Samsung release affect your views and/or opinions on the Pixel 4?

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Samsung is offering $600 trade in for the Pixel 4. $300 for the Pixel 3.

I'm definitely moving on to Samsung. Wide angle, 100x zoom, fingerprint sensor and facial recognition, flatter screens finally (hated the curved), gobs of ram and storage, etc. Plus, I already have a new Samsung Tab S6, samsung watch, and samsung buds. I'm not some sort of Samsung fanboy, but they just hit all the right buttons on all my device choices.

KrisYYC

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I always think it's interesting when other smartphones are compared to the Nexus/Pixel line. I never compare specs with the Pixel because I don't think that the specs tell the whole story. It's about the user experience. When I use my Pixel 4 XL everything is fluid. Everything works together. Everything makes sense. The camera doesn't have the specs as some other smartphones, but the picture quality is amazing and the ease of using the Pixel camera app is refreshing. The software experience is far better than any other device I have ever used. So, without looking at a specs sheet and just using the phone, the Pixel 4 XL has a better experience for me. And it's worth every penny.

This.

The Pixel isn't about flexing design or spec lists. It's about overall experience. I can say that my Pixel 4 as been the best Android Phone I've ever used. I had an S10 for a while, and it was a nice phone. But I kept going back to my Pixel (at the time Pixel 3).

Hilariously, I pre-ordered the S20. So I'll be able to compare it with my Pixel 4. We'll see if it can impress me enough to knock the Pixel 4 off as my daily driver. I doubt it...

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
This.

The Pixel isn't about flexing design or spec lists. It's about overall experience. I can say that my Pixel 4 as been the best Android Phone I've ever used. I had an S10 for a while, and it was a nice phone. But I kept going back to my Pixel (at the time Pixel 3).

Hilariously, I pre-ordered the S20. So I'll be able to compare it with my Pixel 4. We'll see if it can impress me enough to knock the Pixel 4 off as my daily driver. I doubt it...
Yes, for sure! Best software experience ever! It's not always a spec game. People just don't realize that sometimes.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I'm definitely moving on to Samsung. Wide angle, 100x zoom, fingerprint sensor and facial recognition, flatter screens finally (hated the curved), gobs of ram and storage, etc. Plus, I already have a new Samsung Tab S6, samsung watch, and samsung buds. I'm not some sort of Samsung fanboy, but they just hit all the right buttons on all my device choices.
They make good stuff

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site

I also have tab s6 and Samsung Buds. I know what you mean. 2 amazing products. Running pixel 3 XL for my phone but only because of that unlimited full resolution pic and video storage. Probably switch to Sammy next year

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
I also have tab s6 and Samsung Buds. I know what you mean. 2 amazing products. Running pixel 3 XL for my phone but only because of that unlimited full resolution pic and video storage. Probably switch to Sammy next year

The unlimited photo deal is not all that great. It's a $19/year perk. I went ahead an purchased the online data storage from Google because I have so many photos on storage drives, my computer, and drone I didn't want to go through the hassle of flowing that through my phone.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The unlimited photo deal is not all that great. It's a $19/year perk. I went ahead an purchased the online data storage from Google because I have so many photos on storage drives, my computer, and drone I didn't want to go through the hassle of flowing that through my phone.
Yeah, too many hang their hat on the unlimited photo storage.p

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, too many hang their hat on the unlimited photo storage.p
Ha? $19 a year? Where are you getting that? I have just over half TB of pictures and videos from my pixel 3 xl and wife pixel 2 xl. I will need the $9.99 a month plan to be able to move to pixel 4 XL and keep uploading full resolution. So of I sign up for the year one, it's a $100 per year.

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Ha? $19 a year? Where are you getting that? I have just over half TB of pictures and videos from my pixel 3 xl and wife pixel 2 xl. I will need the $9.99 a month plan to be able to move to pixel 4 XL and keep uploading full resolution. So of I sign up for the year one, it's a $100 per year.

That's an very high amount of photos from your phone. The photos are only 4.5mb at full resolution. With 500gb, that's over 100,000 photos. You must be shooting hours of 4k video all the time.
If you have Amazon Prime, you can also use their photo storage instead. Its unlimited full resolution for photos (but not vids).

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
In the end, tempting as the S20 is, I don't feel confident the camera will be on par with the Pixel (except video, of course), and I'm not confident the in-display finger print sensor will be reliable enough for me.

Going to keep holding out on my Pixel 4 XL and see if the 5 adds the things the Pixel needs. I'm talking more battery, more cameras, better video taking -- these are key things the Pixel 5 needs to land.

LordAndroid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Google likes to go against the grain when it comes to the competition. How many years has it been that we have been waiting for a google device to come with things we users can really hang our hat on? If Google gave into the spec game and packed the next pixel with everything including stock Android more units would be sold. But no hence why 4 months into the flag shop device P4 life cycle is almost 50% off. Not holding my breath on the P5 early renders if true are showing an ugly camera hump lol the S20 has a hideous camera module but let's see how the photos stack up with the P5

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
That's an very high amount of photos from your phone. The photos are only 4.5mb at full resolution. With 500gb, that's over 100,000 photos. You must be shooting hours of 4k video all the time.
If you have Amazon Prime, you can also use their photo storage instead. Its unlimited full resolution for photos (but not vids).
Your math is correct, we have over 80k photos and many videos. My wife pretty much snapping pics and videos of our kids none stop. What can I say, she loves her pixel 2 xl lol.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
The S20’s Ultra is very intriguing and tempting as a device with the implied new advancements they’ve made. I’m very excited to see how it reviews in the real world.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
Yes, for sure! Best software experience ever! It's not always a spec game. People just don't realize that sometimes.

Personally, I prefer OneUI and Oxygen OS to stock Android, so >_<

Specs do matter though...with the Pixel 4, no algorithm could save it from the lack of an ultra-wide and a tiny 2,800mAh battery.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I prefer OneUI and Oxygen OS to stock Android, so >_<

Specs do matter though...with the Pixel 4, no algorithm could save it from the lack of an ultra-wide and a tiny 2,800mAh battery.
Haha, that part is true I feel bad for the smaller battery more so than the lack of ultra wide camera though.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
In 2016 Samsung released the S7. Google released the first generation Pixel. Four years later, my original Pixel I now use for work is all plenty fast and is a delight to use. Would anyone use an S7 today? Probably not. Samsungs degrade much too quickly.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I love Samsung phones, but their tablets are meh compared to iPads. Galaxy buds are fine since I get them always as pre order gifts but definitely not my go to wireless earbuds. I'm definitely not in the Samsung ecosystem and don't intend to be. I love their phones so I buy them along with Pixel phones and iPhones. Only full ecosystem I personally like is Apple, Samsung not so much since they don't make compelling devices for me other than their awesome phones.

Elky64

Dec 24, 2019
Visit site
Google, by their own accord, had already soured my taste buds for a Pixel 4. So no blaming Samsung here... Still wouldn't buy a Sammy due to pricing, at least not one of their flagships.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
In 2016 Samsung released the S7. Google released the first generation Pixel. Four years later, my original Pixel I now use for work is all plenty fast and is a delight to use. Would anyone use an S7 today? Probably not. Samsungs degrade much too quickly.
Yes without a doubt. That's also the point I was trying to make. If I still had my Galaxy s8 to this day, it would freeze constantly and crash. Pixel phones just last.

coldfilter

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
My partner has an S8 from launch and its fine... Recently I had to use an old S7 as a back up for a couple of weeks was less than a chore than I thought it would be