who else is having their phone randomly shut down. for me it started about a month ago out of the blue. It seems as if it might be a common issue, but i cant seem to pin down which app is causing it. to be clear, i havent tried uninstalling anything yet as it happened without installing a new app. anyone have any insight to this?
    02-17-2020 10:18 AM
    It's happened to me once this weekend. And then just now
    02-17-2020 10:24 AM
    This has only happened to me once since getting the phone in Nov.
    02-17-2020 10:53 AM
    Does it happen when in safe mode ?
    02-17-2020 11:23 AM
    I too was going to suggest that.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    02-17-2020 11:34 AM
    Early on in the history of my pixel 4 XL, I had the random shutdown phenomenon occur. It appeared to be related to an adguard VPN and once Google fixed the VPN issue, that problem disappeared.
    02-17-2020 12:23 PM
    I havent tried putting it in safe mode yet. i will get to that at some point, just havent yet. i think the whole thing started with the jan security update.
    mustang7757 and Morty2264 like this.
    02-17-2020 02:20 PM
    I havent tried putting it in safe mode yet. i will get to that at some point, just havent yet. i think the whole thing started with the jan security update.
    Ok , could be a app but will know for sure in safe mode or at least a better understanding
    hawklet00 and Morty2264 like this.
    02-17-2020 02:44 PM
    if i could consistently reproduce it, i would put it in safe mode to troubleshoot. sadly it seems to be completely random with no common thing preceding the shutdown. it will be fine for days and then shut down multiple times in a day.
    02-18-2020 03:48 PM
    That's going be tough to find
    02-18-2020 04:06 PM
    if i could consistently reproduce it, i would put it in safe mode to troubleshoot. sadly it seems to be completely random with no common thing preceding the shutdown. it will be fine for days and then shut down multiple times in a day.
    That is really odd. As a very last resort, with all of your data and photos backed up, you could factory reset your device and then see if the random shutdowns continue.
    02-19-2020 06:28 PM
    Anyone with a Pixel 4 or 4 XL that's randomly shutting down should contact Google Support! That is not common and it's certainly not normal, and it just may keep right on happening until your warranty expires and then one day you find yourself holding a brick in your hand.
    02-29-2020 10:07 PM
    so I bit the bullet and did a factory reset. took 12 hours for it to shut down. contacted Google and was told to either take it to a local ibreakufixit store or send it in to them. I chose to take it to a store. an hour later I got a call saying that Google is going to send me a new phone. one call to Google later and the replacement phone is ordered
    03-08-2020 07:28 PM
    so I bit the bullet and did a factory reset. took 12 hours for it to shut down. contacted Google and was told to either take it to a local ibreakufixit store or send it in to them. I chose to take it to a store. an hour later I got a call saying that Google is going to send me a new phone. one call to Google later and the replacement phone is ordered
    Can you break that down a bit? I am just curious what state the phone was in when you contacted Google and how difficult it was to get to the point of them being willing to have it diagnosed at a fixit store. This sounded like one of those problems that was going to be a big PIA to get recognized (random, days apart). Was it that crazy long shutdown period?

Did the shop tell you any details about what was wrong that sparked the replacement?

This is a happy ending!
    03-08-2020 09:07 PM
    the phone is in great shape aside from the random shutdowns. I just told them that my phone was shutting down on its own and that I was not able to find a common denominator in what was causing it to shut down. they told me to factory reset it as it seemed like a software issue, so I did that. not even 24 hours later, I got a random shut down. when I told them that, they told me I needed to take it to the store for diagnosis. the store said they thought it was either the motherboard or the battery and that it works be fixed in a few hours. got a call about an hour later saying Google want letting them do the repair, that Google was going to just replace the phone because it was cheaper.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    03-08-2020 09:42 PM
    the phone is in great shape aside from the random shutdowns. I just told them that my phone was shutting down on its own and that I was not able to find a common denominator in what was causing it to shut down. they told me to factory reset it as it seemed like a software issue, so I did that. not even 24 hours later, I got a random shut down. when I told them that, they told me I needed to take it to the store for diagnosis. the store said they thought it was either the motherboard or the battery and that it works be fixed in a few hours. got a call about an hour later saying Google want letting them do the repair, that Google was going to just replace the phone because it was cheaper.
    That's great they replacing it
    03-08-2020 10:49 PM
    That's great to read. It sounds normal and like a reasonable response to the issue.

I wonder if they were particularly sensitive to the random shutdown. Wasn't that part of the 6P debacle? Maybe I am remembering wrong.
    03-09-2020 12:16 AM
    i am glad they are replacing it, but it seems like just replacing the motherboard and/or re seating the battery would have fixed the problem. bottom line is that ill have a fully working phone (i hope). the 6p issue was that it sat in a constant boot loop if i recall.
    03-09-2020 12:09 PM
    i am glad they are replacing it, but it seems like just replacing the motherboard and/or re seating the battery would have fixed the problem. bottom line is that ill have a fully working phone (i hope). the 6p issue was that it sat in a constant boot loop if i recall.
    Glad to hear you're getting a replacement. random shut down-goodjob.gif
    hawklet00 likes this.
    03-10-2020 02:20 PM