This is a longshot... My car is supposed to be able to send and receive messages using a Bluetooth connection to the head unit. I can RECEIVE messages consistently. The problem is, I can't send them consistently. At most, I get one message out and that's it. It will say it sent the message but it never did.

My first guess is a battery optimization issue but I don't know what to exclude. It's a Bluetooth connection.

All the permissions are granted.

Any ideas?

(It may or may not matter that it's a 2020 Hyundai Sonata; experience with other cars may help solve this though)
    03-08-2020 12:17 AM
    Check your settings. I believe it normally defaults to prevent sending messages while driving.
    03-14-2020 06:45 AM
    Check your settings. I believe it normally defaults to prevent sending messages while driving.
    Which settings? If you mean the car, there are none. Is there some setting buried in the phone?
    03-14-2020 12:24 PM
    Are you using Google Assistant to send the message?
    03-14-2020 12:25 PM
    This is a longshot... My car is supposed to be able to send and receive messages using a Bluetooth connection to the head unit. I can RECEIVE messages consistently. The problem is, I can't send them consistently. At most, I get one message out and that's it. It will say it sent the message but it never did.

My first guess is a battery optimization issue but I don't know what to exclude. It's a Bluetooth connection.

All the permissions are granted.

Any ideas?

(It may or may not matter that it's a 2020 Hyundai Sonata; experience with other cars may help solve this though)
    I wouldn't think battery optimization because your receiving text consistently, might be worth erase the phone from the car and re set it up .
    03-14-2020 12:32 PM
    Are you using Google Assistant to send the message?
    No. This is the car's system. It's own voice and interface.
    03-14-2020 12:54 PM
    I wouldn't think battery optimization because your receiving text consistently, might be worth erase the phone from the car and re set it up .
    Good idea. I'll try that when I get it back (in the shop now)
    mustang7757 likes this.
    03-14-2020 12:54 PM
    Good idea. I'll try that when I get it back (in the shop now)
    Also see if head unit might have a update to it if it's there at the shop.
    03-14-2020 12:56 PM
    No. This is the car's system. It's own voice and interface.
    It may also be worth trying Google Assistant's message-sending feature. If that works, then you know it isn't a problem with sending messages itself, but rather with the interface somewhere.
    03-14-2020 12:57 PM
    It may also be worth trying Google Assistant's message-sending feature. If that works, then you know it isn't a problem with sending messages itself, but rather with the interface somewhere.
    By Google Assistant, do you mean Android Auto? That does work. It's just that, to my total surprise, I like the car's infotainment system better. I would rather use the car's system.
    03-14-2020 01:42 PM
    Also see if head unit might have a update to it if it's there at the shop.
    I asked about that. Only an engine computer software update. It's a relatively new car on the market so I do think that could be it. Love waiting for updates! I've got lots of practice.

Thanks!
    mustang7757 likes this.
    03-14-2020 01:44 PM
    By Google Assistant, do you mean Android Auto? That does work. It's just that, to my total surprise, I like the car's infotainment system better. I would rather use the car's system.
    Right, if you tell Android Auto to send a message, it's going through the Google app (which means it's using the Assistant functionality).
    03-14-2020 01:47 PM
    Right, if you tell Android Auto to send a message, it's going through the Google app (which means it's using the Assistant functionality).
    One key difference is Android Auto is using a wired connection, the other is Bluetooth. That's why I suspected Bluetooth.

I also need to try a different messaging app. Someone on a Hyundai forum is using Samsung messages and it works fine (and he's not using a Pixel)
    03-14-2020 02:00 PM
    Looks like it's a bug that Google has acknowledged: https://www.autoevolution.com/news/g...gs-141847.html
    03-16-2020 02:00 AM
    Looks like it's a bug that Google has acknowledged: https://www.autoevolution.com/news/g...gs-141847.html
    I saw that. I was glad to see they are fixing it because it happens to me when I am using Android Auto. (I think I read today that it's going to take longer to fix)

However, I don't think this fix will do anything for sending messages through my car's system. My car doesn't use the Assistant as far as I know. Or...right? Maybe it does.

When I get my car back from the shop, I'll play around with these ideas in mind. I appreciate all the feedback, helps to bounce this off people.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    03-17-2020 01:13 AM
    However, I don't think this fix will do anything for sending messages through my car's system. My car doesn't use the Assistant as far as I know. Or...right? Maybe it does.
    Yeah, I don't know about that. Maybe both Google Assistant and 3rd party texting interfaces have to go through the same API that is somehow borked currently?
    03-17-2020 01:19 AM
    Yeah, I don't know about that. Maybe both Google Assistant and 3rd party texting interfaces have to go through the same API that is somehow borked currently?
    The bug this is referring to... I have experienced for a long time. I only got it when I was texting but that's almost all I did with Android Auto, other than play music. The article says it affects "tasks" which makes me think it's more than texting.

But - your sentence gives me hope! Maybe they share a commonality. It wouldn't be the first surprise fix in my Android experience.

I'll wait and see. That same site reported the delay in the fix.
    03-17-2020 01:25 AM