Missing the Fingerprint Reader since I can't Face Unlock wearing a mask...

stevo82

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I had the same problem, I'm a first responder and have to wear a mask 12 hours a day. My solution, I have my smart watch turned on as a trusted device under the smart lock option. Whenever my phone is connected to the watch, I just swipe to unlock. No face, no password, no passcode needed.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem, I'm a first responder and have to wear a mask 12 hours a day. My solution, I have my smart watch turned on as a trusted device under the smart lock option. Whenever my phone is connected to the watch, I just swipe to unlock. No face, no password, no passcode needed.

Interesting thought...

I've tried smartwatches (twice) and just can't get into them. I haven't regularly worn a watch in at least a decade and I haven't found a smartwatch that enhances my life more than it costs me in money and effort (keeping it charged, etc.).

However, I would consider attaching a Tile (https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...oCU7cQAvD_BwE%26gclsrc%3Daw.ds&token=4wvqCa81) to my key-ring or carrying something similar in my pocket at all times in order to get the "trusted device" functionality.

Yeah, I think I'm going to do exactly that later today. :)

[edit to add]

Looks like a Tile cannot be setup as a trusted device (https://www.google.com/search?q=can...e..69i57j33.9349j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8). I'll have to see if I can find anything else that will work that way without adding unnecessary burden.

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Still happy with my 3 XL. It still does everything I want and does it well.
AND it reads my fingerprint just as it always did. :cool:

I bought a Pixel 4 XL when they have the big sale a few months ago. I came from a Pixel 2 XL, and I agree. I miss the fingerprint sensor!!

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
My face unlock works when I pull my mask down under my nose. So it works even when my mouth is still covered. So that's weird.

I mentioned that earlier.

In fact, Face Unlock works whether I am wearing a hat/baseball cap or not; it works with a mask so long as it is simply pulled below the tip of my nose; and it works regardless of whether I am wearing my regular eyeglasses, dark sunglasses, or no glasses at all.

Makes you wonder, just how much of the face is it measuring/using to make a lock/unlock decision? And how many other faces might be able to unlock your phone?

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site

In fact, Face Unlock works whether I am wearing a hat/baseball cap or not; it works with a mask so long as it is simply pulled below the tip of my nose; and it works regardless of whether I am wearing my regular eyeglasses, dark sunglasses, or no glasses at all.

Makes you wonder, just how much of the face is it measuring/using to make a lock/unlock decision? And how many other faces might be able to unlock your phone?
I know. There are times I miss the fps. I do love the speed of soli.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

You'll just have to face it....it's not as good as FPS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome