Consider our current pandemic, I'm wearing a mask when I run errands for elderly family members. Naturally, with the mask on, face unlocks doesn't work so I'm constantly swiping pattern to unlock. Now I'm really missing the fingerprint reader. Might be the only one ... But I'm hoping they bring it back with Pixel 5.
    scotiez and Pixelfan56 like this.
    04-04-2020 11:51 PM
    You try maybe redo face id with the mask ?
    04-04-2020 11:55 PM
    like your out the box thinking ..... didn't work. it kept telling to try again for the lower portion of my face.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    04-06-2020 01:26 AM
    If you wear a mask and gloves, neither would work...
    04-06-2020 04:43 AM
    I would invoke smart unlock for on body detection which I do anyway under normal circumstances.
    me just saying and Mattsg430 like this.
    04-06-2020 07:06 AM
    I'd prefer to have the option to use fingerprint, but I can't say I miss it overall.
    04-06-2020 10:29 AM
    Consider our current pandemic, I'm wearing a mask when I run errands for elderly family members. Naturally, with the mask on, face unlocks doesn't work so I'm constantly swiping pattern to unlock. Now I'm really missing the fingerprint reader. Might be the only one ... But I'm hoping they bring it back with Pixel 5.
    Out of curiosity, what type of mask do you wear?

Since facial recognition is done using radar-like signals, perhaps some mask materials would be more "transparent" then others. Might make for a fun afternoon experiment...
    04-19-2020 06:45 AM
    I miss it too.
    Pixelfan56 likes this.
    04-19-2020 09:41 AM
    I'm really uneasy about people using their phones when they are outside of their homes. The phones can pick up the virus from your gloved, or ungloved, hands ... even cleaning it right away, there are nooks and crannies that you may not be able to clean.
    04-19-2020 12:36 PM
    i miss it, its just simpler, quicker than face unlock. I can already have the phone unlocked before my face even sees the phone. I hope the next one has it either on the back or in the screen, otherwise i might be swithcing phones
    Emperor likes this.
    04-21-2020 11:38 AM
    Yeah I miss them on both my iPhone and Pixel 4 XL in scenarios like this. I want some company to offer both secure face id (not the insecure ones most companies have) and fingerprint sensor included. Probably some Android company would have definitely done that but I'm talking about Samsung, Apple, Google, OnePlus and other main US players.

To think of it Samsung had both with the Iris scanner but that never worked that great for me like the iPhone or Pixel face id does.
    04-21-2020 12:08 PM
    Out of curiosity, what type of mask do you wear?

Since facial recognition is done using radar-like signals, perhaps some mask materials would be more "transparent" then others. Might make for a fun afternoon experiment...
    N99 mask. I am going to try a surgical mask tomorrow to see if it works.
    04-21-2020 10:19 PM
    i miss it, its just simpler, quicker than face unlock. I can already have the phone unlocked before my face even sees the phone. I hope the next one has it either on the back or in the screen, otherwise i might be swithcing phones
    I agree 100%. And the position on the back of the Pixel 3 XL was absolutely perfect.
    04-22-2020 05:17 AM
    N99 mask. I am going to try a surgical mask tomorrow to see if it works.
    FWIW, I just noticed something that I may or may not find fault with: If I wear my surgical mask properly - from the bridge of the nose to the underside of the chin - Face Unlock cannot recognize me (as expected). However, if I lower the top of the mask so that it fully covers the area from the underside of my chin all the way up to the area directly under my nose, Face Unlock works just fine.

Hmmm...
    05-27-2020 10:28 AM
    Guess they didn't anticipate the mask wearing! Must be a problem in some countries where masks are routinely worn in cities.
    05-27-2020 04:35 PM
    Guess they didn't anticipate the mask wearing! Must be a problem in some countries where masks are routinely worn in cities.
    Right, but think about what this means: Face Unlock is actually using only a small portion of the face to make an unlock decision. I often wear a baseball cap and it has no effect on Face Unlock, thus it is ignoring pretty much everything above eyebrow level. And now we find out that it also ignores pretty much everything below the tip of the nose.

Makes me wonder just how reliable it really is...
    05-27-2020 05:19 PM
    just choose "none" in security settings before you go into grocery store or whatever, or don't touch your phone while in store (what I do)
    05-27-2020 09:04 PM
    its all about CHOICE. Google took that away and I didn't like that.
    06-17-2020 01:28 AM
    Still happy with my 3 XL. It still does everything I want and does it well.
    AND it reads my fingerprint just as it always did.
    N4Newbie likes this.
    06-18-2020 10:15 PM
    same here, still using a 3XL. I will have to see what the 5 brings or look at OnePlus or Apple.
    06-28-2020 09:11 AM
    Get a Denny Hamlin style with your face on it
    06-28-2020 11:18 AM
    I had the same problem, I'm a first responder and have to wear a mask 12 hours a day. My solution, I have my smart watch turned on as a trusted device under the smart lock option. Whenever my phone is connected to the watch, I just swipe to unlock. No face, no password, no passcode needed.
    06-29-2020 10:50 PM
    I had the same problem, I'm a first responder and have to wear a mask 12 hours a day. My solution, I have my smart watch turned on as a trusted device under the smart lock option. Whenever my phone is connected to the watch, I just swipe to unlock. No face, no password, no passcode needed.
    Interesting thought...

I've tried smartwatches (twice) and just can't get into them. I haven't regularly worn a watch in at least a decade and I haven't found a smartwatch that enhances my life more than it costs me in money and effort (keeping it charged, etc.).

However, I would consider attaching a Tile (https://forums.androidcentral.com/e?...token=4wvqCa81) to my key-ring or carrying something similar in my pocket at all times in order to get the "trusted device" functionality.

Yeah, I think I'm going to do exactly that later today.

[edit to add]

Looks like a Tile cannot be setup as a trusted device (https://www.google.com/search?q=can+...hrome&ie=UTF-8). I'll have to see if I can find anything else that will work that way without adding unnecessary burden.
    06-30-2020 07:59 AM
    Still happy with my 3 XL. It still does everything I want and does it well.
    AND it reads my fingerprint just as it always did.
    I bought a Pixel 4 XL when they have the big sale a few months ago. I came from a Pixel 2 XL, and I agree. I miss the fingerprint sensor!!
    06-30-2020 08:25 AM