Astrophotography-1st Attempt

Smokeaire

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
It's 5am, skies clear. I decided to give the Astrophotography feature of my Pixel 4a a try.
The conditions aren't the best. I don't have a tripod, my house is on a corner of a 4-way with a street light catty-corner, city light pollution.
I set the camera to Night Mode, the timer to 10 seconds, hit the button and set the phone on the hood of my car. Knowing it will take 4 minutes I went inside and watched a 5 minute video.
Below is the result. Best viewed with screen turned up bright. Not to bad considering.
45b67df3a398d369658527a1a1479544.jpg

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
It's 5am, skies clear. I decided to give the Astrophotography feature of my Pixel 4a a try.
The conditions aren't the best. I don't have a tripod, my house is on a corner of a 4-way with a street light catty-corner, city light pollution.
I set the camera to Night Mode, the timer to 10 seconds, hit the button and set the phone on the hood of my car. Knowing it will take 4 minutes I went inside and watched a 5 minute video.
Below is the result. Best viewed with screen turned up bright. Not to bad considering. //uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200914/45b67df3a398d369658527a1a1479544.jpg
That's beautiful looking!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I can't recommend any tripod, I bought mine when I was still doing film photography (around the time the parents of many people posting here were dating - seriously ... late 50s, early 60s time frame). But the phone holder - I bought 2 of these on eBay, figuring that, for that price, I'll probably break at least 1. When they came and I tried one I realized - I'm not strong enough to break one. It works, it's stable, it's easy to use ... and it's almost as cheap as dirt. (Dirt, around here, is still free.)

Smokeaire

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
I can't recommend any tripod, I bought mine when I was still doing film photography (around the time the parents of many people posting here were dating - seriously ... late 50s, early 60s time frame). But the phone holder - I bought 2 of these on eBay, figuring that, for that price, I'll probably break at least 1. When they came and I tried one I realized - I'm not strong enough to break one. It works, it's stable, it's easy to use ... and it's almost as cheap as dirt. (Dirt, around here, is still free.)
LOL!
Your link brings up a thread about task killers. Useful I'm sure but I doubt in my case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87